Shooting sticks

walshie

I've been looking into getting some shooting sticks, but what to go for? One shooter I know uses quad sticks to good effect and I've even been offered an old set of wooden quads that another guy no longer uses. They seem pretty stable, but putting them up is like putting up a clothes dryer.

Someone else (a professional shooter) has suggested 2 garden canes and a bit of rubber, but then he's cheap.

I can't make my mind up between bipod, tripod or quad.

Any suggestions?

What range would be my question?

I use bipod Bushsticks for all standing/sitting/kneeling shots. I did borrow a set of quads to take a tricky neck shot (I had loads of time) and was impressed with the stability, but found the setting up a fiddle. Also they are best stored and transported extended which can be a pain.

Unless  ambushing from a fixed position,I agree quad sticks can be a bit of a fiddle to put up quickly, however I have said before, I would not be without my (B&Q) quad sticks for whatever range especially at longer range if I can also lean against a further fixed point , tree or gate for example.

Most stable option IMO bar prone off a bipod and I, like everyone else am averse to lying in cow dung etc. 

Edited by Good shot?
Brand added!

I have always used a single stick the same height as my shoulder. I devised a means of placing the stick behind my ankle then kneeling with the stick pulled onto my knee. This works very well indeed.  As said, if you can get a further rest on a tree, fence post as well then use that for your elbow.  The main advice on using any sticks is don't HOVER but there again that applies to any shot.  I remember a short sharp piece of advice from a pro stalker in the Lake District ..my first visit and I was trying to be very careful.

In his direct Parade Ground tone, he whispered in my ear ... GET THE ****** SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

16 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi Walshie

I use a set of shockey primos tripod, have found them suitable for my needs and the legs height can be adjusted by single hand trigger. One problem with them is if you do not keep the legs free of dirt they can stick.

atb

7diaw

The exact ones I've just ordered. :good:

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I see these and think, too heavy too knobbly for the hands, no barrel swing, poor mounting, non adjustable, but they are cheap.

anything but heavy my friend , light as a light thing , knobbly - not really helps with the grip ,  barrel swing - buy a leather cradle off mel b £7 , mounting - solid as a rock , non adjustable - agree , unless you make shorter ones as well , and yes cheap as chips