Scottish borders raiding due to start

loriusgarrulus

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I just can’t undrrstand the logic behind it and genuinely wonder at times who proposes these idiotic ideas and who decides they’re a good idea.

A complete ban in America did nothing but create a huge opportunity for crime on a nationwide scale! 

Theorists and idealists.  Lots of statistics being bandied around of how it will improve health, blah, blah, but it is wholly subjective.

For any alcohol above the minimum price per unit it makes no difference, it is only the very cheap stuff.

You can reasonably argue that it is a tax on those with the least amount of money.

A headline grabbing policy once again from the SNP.

56 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Theorists and idealists.  Lots of statistics being bandied around of how it will improve health, blah, blah, but it is wholly subjective.

For any alcohol above the minimum price per unit it makes no difference, it is only the very cheap stuff.

You can reasonably argue that it is a tax on those with the least amount of money.

A headline grabbing policy once again from the SNP.

Let us hope that those that habitually buy the cheapest alcohol will move up in the world and buy better quality!

Time for the monks to change their habits.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Time to buy some shares in producers of home brew kits :hmm:

Look up "Wurzels Orange Wine".  I make a load of variations of this in 5L water bottles from Tesco (or wherever you buy water from) to be honest I pour away the water and use the container.  5L wine takes a couple of weeks and cost about 40p per L at 12% alcohol.

RS

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Let us hope that those that habitually buy the cheapest alcohol will move up in the world and buy better quality!

Time for the monks to change their habits.

Ironically Dave that famous tonic wine is unaffected as it currently meets the threshold.

It is things like the super strength 2l botles of cider that will see the biggest difference.  Some cheap own brand spirits will go up a wee bit

9 minutes ago, old'un said:

What is the highest % alcohol you have achieved from this still ? and how many passes?

.Just shy of 60% after 2 passes, of a whiskey mash of barley/rye and malt as I recall.

Just now, old'un said:

Must be, Velocette as just admitted to doing it….. “I've had a lot of success with it !”

Its been  quite legal for some years  now,,,for personal use !

they want us the working man to pay 50 a unit to promote sensible drinking  okay i understand that much , but how many bars are there in holyrood and how much are they subsidised? What was the name of the mp for the islands that was a alki and drank himself to death theres another one thats ****** all the time and is often done for breach of the peace