Scottish borders raiding due to start

loriusgarrulus

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

.Just shy of 60% after 2 passes, of a whiskey mash of barley/rye and malt as I recall.

Its been  quite legal for some years  now,,,for personal use !

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to HMRC, anyone producing spirit alcohol (distilling) needs a licence, and licences will only be issued to a registered business, and according to the website you even need a licence to produce sloe gin.:unhappy:  

See 14.1 Overview……https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-39-spirits-production-in-the-uk/excise-notice-39-spirits-production-in-the-uk

Edited by old'un

That's why I said "quite" as in fairly rather than completely. You can get a rectifiers permit for free providing your still size is less that 5L and you comply with some notifications of ingredients etc. The bottom line is that its a civil offence,not a criminal offence to distill alcohol,,,so its not technically "illegal". If the Customs folk raid your garden shed then confiscation is probably as far as it will go. Small scale home distilling is pretty low on the radar compared with the major issues they deal with so "quite " legal is a fairly good term to use.

16 minutes ago, Velocette said:

That's why I said "quite" as in fairly rather than completely. You can get a rectifiers permit for free providing your still size is less that 5L and you comply with some notifications of ingredients etc. The bottom line is that its a civil offence,not a criminal offence to distill alcohol,,,so its not technically "illegal". If the Customs folk raid your garden shed then confiscation is probably as far as it will go. Small scale home distilling is pretty low on the radar compared with the major issues they deal with so "quite " legal is a fairly good term to use.

Agreed…:good:

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Fine, if they stick to the 50p/unit I`ll be laughing as my fave, Pale Armadillo is 1.2 units and costs £1-49, which means it "should" drop to £1-10. Not holding my breath.

Nicky Fairbairn and Charles Kennedy BigBob?

It's a MINIMUM pricing...

Prices will not drop if already above the new minimum.

5 hours ago, TriBsa said:

Perhaps this is a cunning SNP plan to get their winos to migrate south and off their books?

It's a Labour policy which - rightly or wrongly - has cross party backing in Holyrood.

Thisis being enforced by ALL Scottish parties, not just the SNP.

The Tories in Westminster looked at setting minimum pricing not that long ago (under Cameron)... mark my words - it will eventually be rolled out across the whole of the UK, same as the smoking ban was.

4 hours ago, grrclark said:

Ironically Dave that famous tonic wine is unaffected as it currently meets the threshold.

It is things like the super strength 2l botles of cider that will see the biggest difference.  Some cheap own brand spirits will go up a wee bit

Hard to believe that The tonic wine is expensive enough to miss out!

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

they want us the working man to pay 50 a unit to promote sensible drinking  okay i understand that much , but how many bars are there in holyrood and how much are they subsidised? What was the name of the mp for the islands that was a alki and drank himself to death theres another one thats ****** all the time and is often done for breach of the peace 

Is there not only one bar at Holyrood?  Pretty sure it is well subsidised though, compared to buying a pint anywhere else in the city centre, where a mortgage is usually required...

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, was on last nights question time, consensus was it will not stop people drinking cheap booze as there will be truck loads coming from over the border 

How would that work?

The minimum pricing is clearly aimed at the alcoholics and neds that consume 3 litre bottle of super strength cider or similar.  It may have some health effects, may not.  If it reduces antisocial behaviour and costs them more money, while putting more in the government's pocket then bash on as far as I'm concerned.  The people that consume the targeted drinks will cost society a disproportionate amount of cash as it is, due to their medical issues and problems they cause.  A bit of a generalisation, but probably accurate.

I can't imagine it will effect the vast majority of folk (and I'm all for a good deal on beer).

3 hours ago, henry d said:

Fine, if they stick to the 50p/unit I`ll be laughing as my fave, Pale Armadillo is 1.2 units and costs £1-49, which means it "should" drop to £1-10. Not holding my breath.

Nicky Fairbairn and Charles Kennedy BigBob?

And if all the Jocks drank was that low ABV stuff, they wouldn't die so early or hamper the NHS quite so much!

A minimum price per unit of alcohol in Scotland. 4 million people. 20% are kids. 10% won't drink. So approx 3 million may be affected. A law to be written covering the British isles for 3 million people who may want to consume alcohol in Scotland. Interesting. If it happens then either a, you deserve it or b, are mugs for not seeing it coming.

Edited by Pistol p

14 hours ago, Pistol p said:

A minimum price per unit of alcohol in Scotland. 4 million people. 20% are kids. 10% won't drink. So approx 3 million may be affected. A law to be written covering the British isles for 3 million people who may want to consume alcohol in Scotland. Interesting. If it happens then either a, you deserve it or b, are mugs for not seeing it coming.

There are 5.3 million people in Scotland. 20% is a good figure as that's the percentage that we Scots drink over and above that guzzled, per capita, in the rest of the country.

A law cannot be written covering the British Isles that isn't in turn ratified by the Isle of Mann, England & Wales and Scotland. Although I'm sure you actually meant the UK. The UK has 2 legal jurisdictions, one Scots the other English, both sets of Laws are independent of the Treaty of union (as are the church and education), so there's actually no such thing as UK law, we have Scots & English Law, which for the vast vast majority of the time are harmonised to work in concert. Whats illegal in one part of the UK is usually the same for the other. 

What we're seeing here is a slight divergence between the two parts. A good example of similar is the tolerated level of alcohol for drivers being different between the parts. Another and much older, differences in the legalities surrounding wild fowling rights on the foreshore. More modern, but related, is the use of lead for wild fowl over non wetlands, again different.  

There's no, "if it happens" it is happening, the moment it was referred to the supreme court opinion was that they'd find in favour of the Scots Parliament. What we await now is the, as some would see it "over due", implementation. 

Didn't see it coming? It's been in the post since the bill was voted though 5 years ago. A fellow would have to have been purposely looking the other way not to see it!

9 hours ago, henry d said:

Yes i`m well aware it is min and it won`t drop, it was a wee joke...or wishful thinking perhaps :D

Aye, sorry... I just like bursting dreams ?

9 hours ago, henry d said:

A bigger threat at the moment is heroin and NPS`s

+1 to that.

Price alcohol out of reach, they will move to drugs...