Someone with a better memory than I

Gordon R

There was a fairly recent thread about DWP medicals, which I think I contributed to. Someone put down a fairly detailed account of how the medicals are conducted. I have searched high and low, through "Off Topic" and checked my own posts, but can't find it.

My wife saw an item on TV about this subject and I mentioned this thread. She asked me to find it, but I can't.

Any help welcome. Thanks.

Is this it.

45 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

There was a fairly recent thread about DWP medicals, which I think I contributed to. Someone put down a fairly detailed account of how the medicals are conducted. I have searched high and low, through "Off Topic" and checked my own posts, but can't find it.

My wife saw an item on TV about this subject and I mentioned this thread. She asked me to find it, but I can't.

Any help welcome. Thanks.

Forgot to quote. Hope the above is it. It doesn't seem to do a link like the old system, but if you double tap it, it goes to the whole thread

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Don't believe all the horror stories that you hear - the "hearings" that I have attended have always been done to ensure that I get the right level of care/assistance. You have to jump through a few hoops but then the state cannot simply throw money away on undeserving cases so the system is designed to weed out as many Leaches as possible - tell the truth and treat the "interviewer" with respect and you will be treated accordingly. From experience the whole affair has become far more pleasant since the DWP sub contracted the task out.

Edited by bruno22rf
correction

I had to have a dwp medical to claim industrial injuries benefit (which I didn't want to claim) and it was pretty straightforward consisting of a few knee replacement related questions a quick examination finishing with the doctor saying he didn't think I'd be eligible for any benefit. Result said I and skipped out of the room leaving the doctor looking puzzled.

tell the truth and treat the "interviewer" with respect and you will be treated accordingly

A relative had an assessment. The report said that as she had managed to walk 20 metres, she could walk 200 metres. It is that level of simplistic stupidity which brings the system into disrepute.

As for the state not being able to throw money away, you are clearly unaware of the scale with which it does just that. This is chicken-feed by comparison.

Gordon R - what a ridiculous statement! Simply because I suggested that the DWP need to be as thorough as possible to weed out non genuine cases, I am suddenly unaware of the fact that the State already does waste money? What a nonsensical opinion. As for the distance that a person can walk, your relative would have been asked - there is no guesswork or presumption involved. 

Edited by bruno22rf

As for the distance that a person can walk, your relative would have been asked - there is no guesswork or presumption involved

I would have to disagree, I also speak from experience, in fact I would say a good percentage of the assessment is presumption, carried out by unqualified people driven by targets.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/743314/Atos-Motability-Department-for-Work-and-Pensions-Benefits-Work-and-Benefits

All of my last 3 interviews were carried out by qualified Medical personnel - in fact the last chap that visited me at home had been a GP. You are asked how far you can walk on your bad days and following the "interview" you should get a letter outlining the findings of your interview and you have a chance then to appeal.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

As for the distance that a person can walk, your relative would have been asked - there is no guesswork or presumption involved. 

I think you have cornered the "ridiculous" market. The person was not asked. It was guesswork. I do resent people who think they know something, but know absolutely nothing. You haven't seen all the reports - I have. I wrote the Subject Access Request myself and received every single word of a shambolic report. I wrote the appeal, pointing out that the idiot who wrote it was clueless. He wasn't medically qualified either. He ignored a number of reports from the GP and Consultants. His arrogance was breath taking, matched only by his ability to jump to irrational conclusions. You have something in common.

I suggested he was re-trained or sacked.

bruno22f - I think that you started the childish ping pong with your "ridiculous statement". I have no wish to get involved in a junior dispute, but you described customers a "Leaches" - it is actually "leeches" - a freebie for you. I took exception to this.

You did not merely relay your own experience, you insisted that my relative would have been asked how far she could walk. She was never asked this, as the notes attest. Despite having no knowledge of my relative's treatment you insinuate that it must have been good, as things seem to have improved. Her treatment was almost exactly what occurred in the link, which Dunkfield supplied. Other posters on the thread do not seem to share your rose tinted view of the procedure.

I am happy to leave it at that - Dunkfield has supplied what I sought, unless you wish to continue a debate which apparently hurts you. Perhaps you might give some thought to the offence that you have caused.