squirrel control

Mice!

I waited about ten mins and went back but that feeder is quite near the footpath so can only really hand around there early doors, once it went up into the tree tops it vanished on me, think they must go up and sit still once you've looked away and back without movement you've no chance.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's 13 or 14 so far this season but it's still early - there are still a few youngsters in there that will need mopping up over the next few months. Google Earth shows no woodland of any appreciable size for quite a way - about a 1/4 mile there are small Trees alongside the main road and a large area of Parkland about 1/2 mile away but with few trees, certainly none big enough to attract Squirrels. I knew today was going my way as I approached one feeder in the main Wood and a Squirrel sat feeding not 20 yards from me as I prepared my Gun and seat. Most of the Feeders are empty as the chap normally fills them Thurs or Friday but Peanuts seem to drag Squirrels from every hiding place.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I was out again while you were all working hard today ? arrived just after 8 and spent nearly an hour trying to get hold of the police, but that's been dealt with now thankfully.

so only had an hour really, usual thing of arrive and see a squirrel disappear off the first feeder, I go and stash my bags come back and the critter is back, straight up the tree looking at me! Have a look around all quiet so I take the shot, it somehow managed to jump when the pellet hit it, stay in the tree run to the next tree then drop into the ferns below!! First squirrel I haven't retrieved.

I stayed on for a couple of hours shooting 3 rats by the bird feeders then went back into the woods to top up the feeders for the other guys, in the 3 hours I had been away the nuts had been demolished in two of the feeders, couldn't believe my eyes, half a big jar in two spots empty.

crafty squirrels 

Wrong thread mate?

32 minutes ago, suburban shooter said:

DC 177 I am so pleased that you have started to suck them in to your killing ground at home. It really increases your kill rates as you are at home more than any other permission.

How many of these extra kills have you got and since when please ?

we went for a walk today along the river at the back of mine and only saw one squirrel, must mean the ones I've had in the garden have been sucked in and there not just avoiding my patch, used to see loads about.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:26, DC177 said:

After a chat with SuburbanShooter, I put up a feeder in my garden and have been taking down a squizzer whenever I get to work from home and at the week-ends. Had 2 this morning. One big old male that stormed in; needed a follow up shot to finish him. Then a female that was much more coy and smarter in her approach to the feeder. However she was bowled over with a single shot to the head.

The garden these days is flooded with smaller birds like tits. You really notice the difference. In fact, the absence of the little birds is the first indicator that there is a squizzer around.

DC see SS msg above 

my mistake SS ?

My small 10 acre wood, I class as a squirrel free zone. Any intruders die within 48hrs. The last three years has seen an absolute explosion of small birds. I have 9 live catch cages altered with peanut feeders in the back end so the birds can come and feed but, grey or brown rats hit the treadle and the last thing they hear is a terrible rushing noise rom my 410.   There are so many little birds now using the feeders, it's costing me a fortune, about £30 a month on nuts, but well worth every penny.

I get great joy from hearing the activities of you tree rat killers, more members should join in. I've just made the first of fisheruks style feeders and given it to a friend who lives on the edge of a town to put in his garden. He manages to whack every one he sees and the feeder should aid his efforts.

Keep at'em.

Edited by Walker570

could you take a picture of how you've altered your traps Walker, sounds interesting, I've had a few black birds in mine now I must be setting it too fine?

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have 9 live catch cages altered with peanut feeders in the back end so the birds can come and feed

the feeders this week have taken a real hammering the colder weather is obviously making the easy peanuts more appealing, they must not have read the small print though, dangerous to your health, as for other members joining in we should have a national shoot a squirrel week, first week in February when folk are finished with the game season.

Can I suggest we make it National Shoot a Squirrel Month:yes:

I'm not clever enough to put photos on here, but if you pm me an email I can manage to do that.

Basically I buy a sheet of expanded steel sheet net from B&Q OK it's ####!!## expensive but it lasts forever, they cannot chew it. You could use the same netting as pea nut feeders but squirrels can destroy that in short time. I make a box shape out of the netting about 1 1/2 inches by the width and depth of the cage. This I fit behind the treadle close against the wire and fasten it in place with small zip straps.  I cut on small section out above this making two holes into one and the little blue tits, great tits, nuthatch can actually go inside and retrieve a peanut.  That's it basically,  I too also catch the odd blackbird and woodpecker, even had one or two hen pheasants and a moorhen !! but the traps are visited at least three times a day so they are easily released unharmed.  My traps are all set on top of a one legged table above badger height. Room for birds etc to walk around the outside.  Because of influx of brown rats this year, I have leant a 2x4 against the side of one table at 45deg and to date had seven.  I planted this wood about 20yrs ago and one or two of the smaller poplars I cut off at about 3ft from the ground and fixed the table to them. One such 'post' has been total straffed by badgers scraping the sides trying to reach the peanuts.

14 hours ago, suburban shooter said:

DC 177 I am so pleased that you have started to suck them in to your killing ground at home. It really increases your kill rates as you are at home more than any other permission.

How many of these extra kills have you got and since when please ?

Well I had a string of kills - 5 in 4 days - then it dried up. The garden is now full of various Tits. I keep my eyes and ears open but just enjoying the little birds that have moved in.

Cheers Walker I'll pm you.

Good going DC, certainly makes a difference in your garden, there was a squirrel in next doors chicken run today but it didn't venture into my garden, my neighbour is happy for me to shoot rats or squirrels but it depends where his run is, not managed to get a shot yet.

let's give you all a Christmas laugh..... At me.

So finished work this morning at 6 arrived at the car park 645, very dark no rain kitted up and off I go, went into the woods from a different direction today by torch light, that was an adventure I can tell you, foggy dark and I hadn't been on that side of the wood.

The idea was to not disturb feeder 1 as my last two visits have seen a squirrel run off as I arrive, filled two other feeders by torch, dumped my bag moved to where I wanted to be so in position nice and still by about 720. Listened to the woods come alive around me, owl finishing up a wren going mental at something somewhere and many other birds which make me think I'm sure I used to know these noises? The wildfowl sound so like people talking its uncanny, daylight if you can call it that creeps slowly in, robin on the feeder, pigeons leaving the wood, Canada geese arriving. The time ticks by, lots more bird life but no squirrels, eventually I have to move before I pee myself, check the time and I've been there an hour and half, stand up doh!! There is a squirrel at the base of the tree looking at me looking at him, rifle is lay on the floor!!! All that time watching for a squirrel coming down and instead its come along the ground unseen!! I'll get him next week maybe ?

Merry Christmas everybody. Mice!

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

let's give you all a Christmas laugh..... At me.

So finished work this morning at 6 arrived at the car park 645, very dark no rain kitted up and off I go, went into the woods from a different direction today by torch light, that was an adventure I can tell you, foggy dark and I hadn't been on that side of the wood.

The idea was to not disturb feeder 1 as my last two visits have seen a squirrel run off as I arrive, filled two other feeders by torch, dumped my bag moved to where I wanted to be so in position nice and still by about 720. Listened to the woods come alive around me, owl finishing up a wren going mental at something somewhere and many other birds which make me think I'm sure I used to know these noises? The wildfowl sound so like people talking its uncanny, daylight if you can call it that creeps slowly in, robin on the feeder, pigeons leaving the wood, Canada geese arriving. The time ticks by, lots more bird life but no squirrels, eventually I have to move before I pee myself, check the time and I've been there an hour and half, stand up doh!! There is a squirrel at the base of the tree looking at me looking at him, rifle is lay on the floor!!! All that time watching for a squirrel coming down and instead its come along the ground unseen!! I'll get him next week maybe ?

Merry Christmas everybody. Mice!

Truth be told. I bet you were having a kip on the floor after your night shift. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve nodded off propped against a pine tree :lol:

Mick is out tomorrow and I’ll be there on Christmas Eve. We’ve got to keep at ‘em.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

Truth be told. I bet you were having a kip on the floor after your night shift. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve nodded off propped against a pine tree :lol:

Mick is out tomorrow and I’ll be there on Christmas Eve. We’ve got to keep at ‘em.

could very easily have nodded off but for needing a pee, I'll be out 28 or 29th depending on what were upto, they were at both ends today feeder 1 and the plantation, weather looks good for mick tomorrow might not get wet for a change.

A tip for feeder shooting. I apologise in advance if you use it already.

Line the scope up exactly where you are going to head shoot the squiggle.

Keeping the rifle rock steady look down the side of the barrel and note whereabouts on the feeder the rifle is pointing.

Thus when a customer arrives duplicate that picture and the target will be in the centre of the scope making target acquisition a lot easier.

Edited by Robertt

• 3 weeks later...

So how are the squirrels behaving near you guys then?

not seen a squirrel in my garden now since the first of Jan, spent an hour out in the woods yesterday topping up the feeders which had hardly been touched, just with the binoculars as it was "out of hours" never saw a single squirrel, it was windy and cold but would have expected to see a couple at least.

Still the birds in my garden are having are having a right good time, seeing lots more small birds about which should be good for the RSPB big bird watch this weekend.

No sign in my wood.  I have plans for the first two weeks in Feb to get across to Stamford as the Keeper there says they are back with a vengeance.  Having now sliced my left thumb open rather deeply I will be relying on the AA200 for a week or two as trying to load the TX200 will be a pain...literally.  I have four of those flat top feedes to put up over there. Hoping they will work ok once pheasant food starts to run out.