Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Well I'm not in anyone's good book at the moment - been laid up for 14 days and the Tree Rats are in abundance in the woods again according to the Grounds Manager who sent me a rather short TXT saying that he had spent yesterday morning trying to count the blighters .

O dear, hope your back on your feet soon ( and you were closer ?)

So how come none of the other chaps are covering where you normally shoot then?

I didn't tell him I was laid up till Tues, I try and avoid mentioning such things in case he does put other guns in "my" normal areas although, AFAIK, they could come whenever they wanted. Of the 6 of us I believe that I am the only one who can shoot 24/7 so they would only be available at w/ends. Hoping to be able to walk again this w/end but Psoriatic Arthritis is so unpredictable, if I can force my boot on then I'm going to be back on them.

Edited by bruno22rf

get yourself to the charity shop Bruno and buy an oversized boot, so you can slip it on and off easily.

stood watching a nuthatch and long tailed tits doing their thing this morning and boom! Squirrel pops out of next doors garden, sprints straight across into my other neighbours, couldn't believe my eyes, so there's one about but there a rarity on my patch. 

Prince Charles is attending the re opening of Quarry Bank Mill near Wilmslow in Cheshire next week .

It is a National Trust  venue which is absolutely crawling with grey squirrels. They have one of the largest 'communal' drays I have ever 

seen up a tree . Will they do anything about it or grey control ? No!   I have spoken to the estates manager , and they are not interested in the control

of Grey Squirrels . 

Maybe , the Prince , who is supposedly a supporter of grey control could do something? I will send an email ! Futile but its worth a try.

You can only try Longbower, his visit will coincide with the big bird watch then, if there are that many squirrels about it would be interesting to see how many tree creepers, thrushes, wrens, and nuthatches they manage to see, guessing it won't be many.

5 hours ago, Longbower said:

Maybe , the Prince , who is supposedly a supporter of grey control could do something? I will send an email ! Futile but its worth a try.

17 hours ago, Longbower said:

Ive run out of the little beggers, cant find any anywhere on my perms.

I have three bird feeders/hoppers out in my wood ,but I think they have learned , nuts= death.

have I imagined it or are you shooting in a beech wood? I was in a small beech wood last week and over Xmas, didn't see anything about at all, wondering if the lack of cover and cold wind sends everything elsewhere? 

16 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Had another one pop in this afternoon. Clean 22 to the head put an end to his supper.

Nice one DC, glad your still watching out for them in your garden.

Finally got out today, its surprising what a dry day with no wind can do. Saw 5 or 6 but they weren't playing ball, one on the footpath with the rifle not out, one ran out the bushes like a boar, rifle pointing up me and squirrel staring at each other, before it did a 180 and legged it, then finally one sat on a feeder happily munching nuts, couldn't get into position before it wandered away, good day to be a squirrel ?? 

Mice , yes there are Beech , but also Pine , Silver Birch and a lot of Oak With Holy trees and the odd Yew.

But no squirrels . 

But , this actually happened the other day . One of the seed tables is a 10" piece of Plank  screwed onto a 4x4 post which has been knocked into the ground

Its about 50" tall , From where i sit concealed in a shed , its 25yards to the POI, and I have shot loads from this position . 

Last Saturday week , I was in the shed , when  one approached on the floor , climbed up the back of the 4x4  pole just nipped his head over the top to take a nut

then turned and scampered away the same route. There was no way I could get a clean shot . 

He definitely knew where I was , and figured out how to get in and out . 

Sometimes ,You have to admire their intelligence.

I don't think its about training them by missing, where were shooting we are finding the feeders hardly touched, we leave around half 9 ten and we've found if you go back down an hour later the feeders are down an inch or so of nuts, there not daft, I've not had one on my bird feeders yet this year, my garden is being avoided.

Longbower, think you might have to change something, have you seen the feeder stuartboy has made, pics in the vermin section.

If they weren't intelligent they wouldn't be here.

Have done 28 on one feeder Mid to  November to last week in December.

Food is still going from the feeder and recently I have waisted too much time waiting for a none appearance. 

My take on it is that a squirrel, is coming from afar, filling it's boots then going back to it's own territory and not hanging about.

I think a trap for this blighter is the next move.

2 hours ago, Robertt said:

think a trap for this blighter is the next move

Hi Robertt is the area safe to put up a camera trap? Given the numbers you have shot your probably right one or two travelling in to eat, put out some suet along with your normal stuff and leave it for a few days, its really interesting to see what comes along, I've done it with squirrel carcasses get magpies jays crows cats rats fox, even had another squirrel wander by ignoring my trap completely.

well I got out again yesterday on "the gouses" land, had a couple of hours watching pigeons fly past me having a look in corners and such places. It was pretty wet out so didn't see any rabbits, loads of pigeons about, spotted a fox. So there I am sat under a big willow by an oak hoping some pigeons come along, when almost in touching distance two squirrels appear, run past me and dive into the ivy!! But now I know their there!

And got a phone call from fisheruk today saying he's had a call about a red squirrel not too far away, game on.

12 hours ago, Longbower said:

Never missed one yet, as it did the same again less than fifteen minutes later , but i had changed position ,

and got him as he just started climbing. Making 11 since Jan 1st.

Love it, i wondered what the reply would be.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:51, DC177 said:

Interesting cos I shoot many from only 15 yards and I am not in a ghillie suit. They only get wise if someone trains them by missing.

The other thing to remember is you shoot one, how many are watching? At some point there going to figure out something is not right.