• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, villaman said:

This is from yesterday 

Some go on about heavy pellets in .177 which i do use myself in one of my guns but these AA Express .177  7.9 gr  are lethal at all ranges , i have tried them from 15 to 75 yards  in my HW100k .

Probably the most accurate pellet i have used in .177 in all of my guns , just a shame the BSA magazines don't really like them  ,unless you make sure the pellets are inserted right in , which can be a bit of fiddle in the field .

they were shot at 37 yard which is my zero on this set up  of HW100k , Aimax scope  and AA express pellets  and once again off the knee 

IMG_1503.JPG

Another shooting grey squirrels excellent, be sure to add your numbers to the tally on the vermin section.

Roughly where are you villaman? 

• 2 weeks later...

Had two blanks of late, one morning was freezing cold, didn't see any squirrels or rats they had more sense.

And today was just wet wet wet, went out anyway. Got wet and cold, so left the woods and headed for shelter and rats, but once again didn't see a thing, they have more sense than me these critters.

But having seen nothing for weeks at home I had a pregnant female and male in the trap last Thursday and Friday, who knows where they came from.

Hawkfanz mentioned the other day a mate of his is finding dead squirrels in a wood, anyone else seen anything like this?

Surely if they have been shot you will see the blood. Do we know what condition the corses were. Any greys I leave out are normally gone by the following day, either buzzards or fox.  If these dead greys are lying around for any length of time it is very unusual.

I agree that pox can affect greys and yes you will see the leisons.

Despite laying out some nice peanuts I havent seen a squizzer at my place for over 6 weeks. Maybe the Pine Martens are back (or some old dear is feeding them at her place).

Out again tomorrow for a whole day. Promises to be a perfect day, so hopefully they will be moving. I laced the rides last week with peanuts and beans and carrots for the munties.  I'm setting a trail cam up to see what is actually moving because the one flip top feeder I put up was emptied in about 5 days.  If it's mice going up through the grill in the bottom then there are a whole load of woodmice there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Back out yesterday but on a new place that "the gouse" has just got so making a block of around 500 acres, got a msg last week saying he's seeing loads of squirrels about when filling up the pheasant feeders.

turned up in glorious sunshine fairly sure i was at the right place ( i was) old fella there filling up some bird feeders and i had already seen a couple of squirrels do a runner.

started having a look about before the gouse turned up, saw a few more moving about through the trees, the gouse turned up and we walked the boundaries, think the wife has told him i need the exercise!! Saw lots of different things mooching about, a few squirrels which all managed to vanish, then back where we started.

Squirrel! Off i go two lads watching no pressure, knock it out the tree but not dead, did a 360 and pushed under a tree stump, put another pellet in at point blank and went to get another that was in the hedge row behind me, hit a branch then couldn't get another shot because of the sheep and lambs in the field.

went back to pick up the first squirrel passed my rifle to one of the fellas to hold while i leaned under the tree stump, put my hand on it and it moved!!! I may have soiled myself, hadn't moved at all under the tree stump never considered it could still have been alive.

looks a great spot for future moochings

Mice!

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

Back out yesterday but on a new place that "the gouse" has just got so making a block of around 500 acres, got a msg last week saying he's seeing loads of squirrels about when filling up the pheasant feeders.

turned up in glorious sunshine fairly sure i was at the right place ( i was) old fella there filling up some bird feeders and i had already seen a couple of squirrels do a runner.

started having a look about before the gouse turned up, saw a few more moving about through the trees, the gouse turned up and we walked the boundaries, think the wife has told him i need the exercise!! Saw lots of different things mooching about, a few squirrels which all managed to vanish, then back where we started.

Squirrel! Off i go two lads watching no pressure, knock it out the tree but not dead, did a 360 and pushed under a tree stump, put another pellet in at point blank and went to get another that was in the hedge row behind me, hit a branch then couldn't get another shot because of the sheep and lambs in the field.

went back to pick up the first squirrel passed my rifle to one of the fellas to hold while i leaned under the tree stump, put my hand on it and it moved!!! I may have soiled myself, hadn't moved at all under the tree stump never considered it could still have been alive.

looks a great spot for future moochings

Mice!

Squealed like a girl when he pick it up out of the logs and realise it was not dead! But the blood on is hand was the squirrels??? Top guy 

No squeezers seen at my place since January, but yesterday I found the bird feeder completely trashed by something clever enough to climb up and snip the cable ties. 7am this morning there was Mr Squizzer back for his breakfast. A nice 22 from the 95k between his eyes put an end to his raiding days.

The squirrels have just started to move back into the wooded part of our garden where I have a feeder for the pheasants. They have eaten a hole in the top within 24 hours and pop their heads up like a Jack in the box when I tap on the gate. The BSA Lightning .22 is very effective! I have put several Fenn traps in the vicinity baited with either peanut butter or a sprinkling of wheat.

28 minutes ago, CaptC said:

The squirrels have just started to move back into the wooded part of our garden where I have a feeder for the pheasants. They have eaten a hole in the top within 24 hours and pop their heads up like a Jack in the box when I tap on the gate. The BSA Lightning .22 is very effective! I have put several Fenn traps in the vicinity baited with either peanut butter or a sprinkling of wheat.

Just make sure hedgehogs can't get at them ? 

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Just make sure hedgehogs can't get at them ? 

I always put two steel pegs at either end thus reducing the size of the entrance. Too many badgers around for hedgehogs I'm afraid - Counted 18 the other night with 6 acres!

28 minutes ago, CaptC said:

I always put two steel pegs at either end thus reducing the size of the entrance. Too many badgers around for hedgehogs I'm afraid - Counted 18 the other night with 6 acres!

Good man, thought i was stating the obvious but you never know.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Good man, thought i was stating the obvious but you never know.

My main problem is outwitting  the Memsahib and the Sprogs who are firmly against my culling. One has to be discreet or almost furtive as per special ops otherwise they will bang on the windows or shout loudly. I get my own back when I present them with a trophy!

7 minutes ago, CaptC said:

My main problem is outwitting  the Memsahib and the Sprogs who are firmly against my culling. One has to be discreet or almost furtive as per special ops otherwise they will bang on the windows or shout loudly. I get my own back when I present them with a trophy!

Got mine brain washed, showed them the squirrel taking over the little owl nest box this week " the secret lives of owls" channel 5 on catch up, and there all really enjoying how many birds we get in the garden, lots of bird spotting and the kids always point out squirrels and rats when they see them, daddy get the gun ?