squirrel control

Mice!

Been a while, got two young males this morning both shot out of the pine trees, don't think I've fired a shot since the 25th August, thought we were on top of the squirrels as we've hardly seen any and the feeders haven't been getting touched but the tree tops were busy this morning.

WP_20181102_09_53_22_Pro.jpg.1279c1e59ed944d6f6b67ab620a2c1bf.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it has been very quiet in my immediate area but this morning saw four in our little wood.  Crack of dawn tomorrow :yes:

The Game Keeper on one estate I use also reported a sudden activity level so out there next week weather permitting.  Pheasant feeders now all full and in use, so I will set up covering as many as I can from my pop up blind and use the 17HMR as I can see 100yrds in four directions at one cross roads with feeders along each ride.

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Ooooooh - if you can record the sound of a Squirrel being hit by a Hummer then can I have a copy of it? - would love it as my ringtone .

I've hit plenty with a HMR, but never had the opportunity to run 100yards down the road to set up the recorder before I let go the shot! :lol:

To be serious for a moment, I can't really think what it sounds like, certainly not the normal thud/crack you with a .22lr. :hmm:

:good:

A longish ThhhhhhWACK!!    but as said, to be able to record same would require super human abilities.   the nearest I have heard is from a colleague who had....

SQUEEEK!!  SQUEEEK!!! SQUEEEEEEK!!!   ...... CAHBOOM! AS HIS RIFLE WENT OFF.  Great reaction when shopping down the aisles at Morrisons:yahoo:

Typical, given i saw quite a few squirrels yesterday i dragged myself out early doors, never saw any squirrels!! A cold wind blowing today while yesterday was still and sunny, the whole wood was still asleep it seemed waiting on the sun getting up.

Saw two roe as i arrived a woodcock got up, later as i was leaving the black birds and thrushes were on the roan berries and a family of long tailed t*t's maybe 15 of them worked through the rhododendrons, robins and wrens all busy doing there thing.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:53, Sciurus said:

have always been led to believe greys don’t like rain. Certainly on our trail cameras, the reds don’t mind the rain but the greys go absent. If it rained heavily on Friday and all day Saturday, perhaps the greys stayed in the dreys and by Sunday, they were driven out by hunger even if was raining? - just a thought.

we were out in our local park last Sunday nice sunny afternoon we counted between 20 & 24 squirrels while wandering about, different park this afternoon overcast damp and breezy, by the time we left it was raining and the squirrels weren't bothered at all easily double figures doing there thing, some you could have poked with a stick, they just weren't interested in us.

There’s nowt so queer as squirrels. Two weeks ago, I shot 3 large greys in a sycamore with 410. They didn’t run off, it was bang, bang bang. Yet often if I see one in a wood a 100 yds away, they are off in a flash.

I got up early again this morning to go shooting, it was raining so I made a cup of tea and went back to bed! It suits me fine to believe greys don’t like rain!😂

31 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

I got up early again this morning to go shooting, it was raining so I made a cup of tea and went back to bed! It suits me fine to believe greys don’t like rain!😂

I like your style, if i plan on going after work so arriving at 645am and its raining i don't go, i don't think they will rush out of a warm dry drey when its dark cold and wet.

Being retired, it’s great to have the luxury to go out when you want and the weather suits.  Yesterday,  I went out twice. In the morning  I was shooting fat wary greys with shotgun (& yes, it was an hour after Sunrise before I saw them !) and in the afternoon trying to shoot half a dozen young greys running everywhere in the tree tops with the air rifle (because of delicate location).. I just don’t know where they have come from but they just love the yew berries.

Third time out and lucky for me today, up at silly o'clock and into the jalopy still dribbling coffee as the sun chased me down to the Woods. After a short discussion with my left Wellie I managed to persuade the rubber rascal on and stumbled into the darkness full of enthusiasm and arthritis - feeder looked about as popular as a snake in a lucky dip so I sat and pondered life's woes while the rest of the World woke up. Took about an hour for the first screech to alert me that Nutty was hot footing it my way, hell bent on giving my nuts a bashing (:ermm:) and he came down to the feeder like there was no tomorrow which, ironically for him, there now isn't. Back in my seat and with no1 doing his best impression of a feeding Squizzer on the hopper no2 came in a similar fashion but was not happy with no1 playing statues - something, Watson, was clearly afoot. What was needed was a nice long stare at no1 while my S410 lined up on him and duly sent him to the ground - exactly what he got. No3 was pretty boring as Squirrels go, offering little in the way of amusement or drama he simply made the mistake of running along a branch in front of me as I started to think about packing up and stopped for a second too long - suddenly putting on 16 grains cured all his concerns about having to watch "The Great Escape" yet again over Christmas so he went with a sense of relief. 3 down and the feeders in the other woods have been filled for the first time on Thursday so next weeks txt will be interesting.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

SPPPPLLLLUTTTTTEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!  Darn it! That's half of my amber liquid down the screen:lol::lol:

Nice one Bruno.

bit early for the amber nector? Aberlour 12 year old was on offer at Morrison's last weet, yum 😋

Have your visitors gone now then Bruno 👍 

On 02/11/2018 at 11:51, Mice! said:

Been a while, got two young males this morning both shot out of the pine trees, don't think I've fired a shot since the 25th August, thought we were on top of the squirrels as we've hardly seen any and the feeders haven't been getting touched but the tree tops were busy this morning.

WP_20181102_09_53_22_Pro.jpg.1279c1e59ed944d6f6b67ab620a2c1bf.jpg

Well done!

Now there's a tale Mice! Our mobile friends were gathering, we discovered, to attend a funeral in our very Town on Weds 10th last month - as a result, every shop and public house in our Town was closed for "stock taking" on said day following a Wedding a couple of years ago when they were all ransacked. Despite the Police being called no officers attended on the day so ,this time, all our retailers shut up for half the day. On the day of the funeral the road was completely blocked to the cemetery by every possible variation of Transit van that you could dream of - while 2 of our boys in blue CYCLED around the Town centre about a mile away. To add insult to injury - last Weds 31st a squad car parked up in the Town centre and 2 officers spent the next hour or so giving sweets to the local school kids for Halloween.....................

I am grateful for the positive comments that my post has received - I think that, over the last few years, some members (such as Ditchman) have vastly improved the quality of story telling on this forum and I am trying to reach the standards that they are setting.

Edited by bruno22rf

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 00:38, suburban shooter said:

Bruno that was by far the most well written account of a day's squirrel shooting that I have read in a good while. Keep up the good work and the good prose.

ss

1 hour ago, suburban shooter said:

Got three 

Come on son up your game 😘