squirrel control

Mice!

Well it's absolutely hissing down and the last thing I expected was tufty out foraging, but no, movement in the bushes and hey presto a very bedraggled looking squirrel making it's way across to the bird table.

TX200 removed from the cabinet, slowly open the kitchen window enough to focus on it and another one bites the dust, or mud on this occasion.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well now that's a first for me - I actually saw a Squirrel fall out of a Tree this morning - fair way up, I had just disturbed him feeding when he shot up a tallish Ash then attempted to jump onto the Oak where they seem to live - SNAP and the branch fell along with hapless Nutty - lovely hollow thump as he hit the deck, followed closely by said branch, then he simply bolted back up the Tree non the worse for the experience. 

They are unvelievably tough and as I have said before, glad they don't grow to lab size.

Out this morning , high wind and cold but had one come to the flip top, saw one other but it vanished up a tree and never came back down. Had a bonus jay.

This afternoon I have set up a new hide and pheasant feeder in a small copse set between two large oak woods. Looks like good tree rat country.  Will let it sit for a few days and then have an early morning visit.  As can be seen the copse is made up of very large old oaks surrounded by holly.  The hide is tucked in on the left of the photo giving me a 15yrds shot to the feeder..

007.jpg

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Well now that's a first for me - I actually saw a Squirrel fall out of a Tree this morning

Wife and kids were walking along the river and one fell out in front of them, little lad shot it apparently 😉 

I haven’t seen a squirrel fall but I saw one glide the other week, just like a flying squirrel. It had no option, it had just run out of branches whilst being chased by 28grm of lead.... 

It lived to tell the tale, but I’ll get it next time (unless it grows wings).

Well what a frustrating weekend - there's Squirrels everywhere downt t woods but scarcely any on the feeders - I stood and watched 10+ running around in front of me this morning before spending near 2 hours traipsing around the feeders trying to find one feeding. Just sent a txt to the woodland manager and he's going to fill the Hopper in the busiest area with Peanuts to see if we can tempt them in - with colder weather forecast I'm hoping next weekend will be more productive - shot just 3 in over 4 hours these last 2 days.....not good :sad1:.  

Haven't been able to get out on a Monday afternoon for some time thanks to work, fisheruk let me know there have been several squirrels arrived on the bird tables last week, wasn't in work last night so planned on a few hours this afternoon.

Turned up nice and quiet with a squirrel waiting 😊 rifle out squirrel sat still and I missed? Twice!! Sound was a bit off, went outside to check my zero and was hitting low probably 6 inches at 15 yards!! Low air, disaster, the downside of having an old air rifle with no gauge.

Chat with the manager then off home, nice to be out but Doh!

I know the feeling. I had a grey nicely lined up a few weeks ago, I squeezed the trigger and was rewarded by a slow hiss......

Somehow I had loaded two pellets, Doh! Had to pack up and go home,  It was fun getting the pellets out.

I now take extra care loading the magazine.

4 hours ago, soulboy1957 said:

Plus another 13 to the mighty 20g hush power, we're reducing the numbers nicely now. Feeders are full in 3 places, so HW110 in. 22 flavour next trip on Sunday. 

Hope the weather is nice for you then on Sunday soulboy , don't forget to add your numbers on the vermin section.

OK, what did this?    Tree rat or brown rat ????  There was a small .22 hole there where a pellet had exited a jay and then penetrated the ally.  There are a series of holes at the front bigger than that which i put so the little birds can help themselves to peanuts.  the flip top had been cleaned out and the damage done over one day and one night.

I have put a half brick imside to block it whilst I get a piece of cheque plate and some pop rivets, so I could top up with peanuts.  I'm doubtful a tree rat could squeeze in there, what do you think.   I'll put the trail cam on it tomorrow.

030.jpg

Edited by Walker570

I can see teeth marks and I have three or four greater spotted feed on the front holes regularly, they can just extract a peanut once they have chipped a bit off. Love watching them.

I'm leaning towards smooth tailed rats as the tree would be easy for them to climb and the location is about 20yrds from the back of the dairy farm and slurry pit.

Been there this morning at first light and only had the one squirrel come. It went directly to the lid, lifted it and selected a peanut, turned and had two chws before it fell off the bench.

I am leaning still to smooth tailed rats based on that becaue I would have thought that squirrel would have gone to the hole. It was very confirdent it knew where the food was and did not hesitate to push it's nose under the lid and half climb in.  It did not need to waste time chewing at the hole.

See what the camera comes up with. It may mean sitting on it later after dark,when all the farm/reconstruction noise has died down.

It only occurred over one afternoon and overnight as I found the damage at 7am the next morning.  I have seen some serious work by rats on all sorts of materials including bricks and concrete so ally would be easy going for them and ALL the peanuts had gone so whatever had to have gone in through the hole.

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Been there this morning at first light and only had the one squirrel come. It went directly to the lid, lifted it and selected a peanut, turned and had two chws before it fell off the bench.

I am leaning still to smooth tailed rats based on that becaue I would have thought that squirrel would have gone to the hole. It was very confirdent it knew where the food was and did not hesitate to push it's nose under the lid and half climb in.  It did not need to waste time chewing at the hole.

See what the camera comes up with. It may mean sitting on it later after dark,when all the farm/reconstruction noise has died down.

It only occurred over one afternoon and overnight as I found the damage at 7am the next morning.  I have seen some serious work by rats on all sorts of materials including bricks and concrete so ally would be easy going for them and ALL the peanuts had gone so whatever had to have gone in through the hole.

How wide is the hole? Looking at the pick again it seems bigger than a rat would need to get at the goodies. 

It's a good 2 inches wide and about an inch deep.  Agree a rat would have no problem.  I can't see why a squirrel would bother seeing it would appear all those I have shot on the feeder know how to lift the lid.  The camera doesn't lie but will have to wait a few days for me to get at it.

Looking again at the photo, if the brick is the standard 9 inch brick then the hole is nearer 3 inches wide and a bit more than an inch deep.

Edited by Walker570

Managed to get out on Christmas eve 😯 pitch black this morning with a frozen car and a full moon.

Arrived in the dark with an owl going in front me followed by two dog walkers, went to a spot we don't cover much in winter because its exposed to Joe public but i wasn't spotted and no squirrels about which was a surprise.

Off into the main wood, all seemed quiet until a squirrel pretty much ran into the tree i was leaning on, it was playing games moving about taking the micky going between three or four trees before finally settling down with a pine cone, he didn't get to enjoy it, not quite a vertical shot about 80 degrees. Seemed to hit every branch on the way down, fine looking male.

WP_20181224_08_53_00_Pro.jpg.6d1b5d70092fbd6617cc994deab52ebf.jpg

I then played follow the squirrel for 40 minutes or so, they always seemed to be four or five trees away, giving no shot chances.

I headed back towards my bag to head off home when another appeared, same game tree to tree seeming more interested in the pine cones than me, finally stopped to eat, giving me a shot, that ones in the brambles for Mr Todd to find later. Seems when the sun is out with no wind, the squirrels come out to play.

Looks like the tree rats will have a free few days into the New Year, I have one ####### of a cold, sneezing, shivering, coughing. Silly to be sitting out in this damp weather.

A few glasses of amber liquid will hopefully drive it away as I have a driven day Wednesday .....no, not tree rats you idiots:yay:.... but that could be fun.  One of my favorite estates, Catton.

Lul them into a sense of security come next weekend.  Trail cams indicate a few have moved back in.

"Oh what a beautiful morning" - left home before I could see my hand in front of my face this morning and the mild weather is an absolute joy - no frozen screens or glass like roads to worry about. Back into the small spinney after yet another 2 weeks away following the return of our travelling friends over Christmas and stood and watched 2 Munties feeding underneath the hopper - but more good news was the 4 or 5 Squirrels on the hopper itself. This single hopper in the tiny spinney has produced an uncommon amount of kills over the last 2 seasons but this year has been poor so far. First opportunity was a clean miss, something that seems to be happening lately after filling the gun but the next 3 furry targets fell like stones - the third one I actually though I had missed as the metallic clang of the backstop rang out almost as soon as I pulled the trigger - Nutty froze as I re-cocked the gun but, looking thru the scope, I could see his had gone to a far better place.

On to the larger wood and tried tracking a group of youngsters that always seem to be playing in the same stand of trees - they drop to the ground when alarmed and run off in the same direction every time but, try as I might, I could not find where they had gone so more work there to do. Time restraints dictated that I pick the most likely hopper so off to number 4 and within a few seconds of sitting down one of the fattest Squirrels I have seen for a long while came straight down the tree and sat on the hopper - not a twitch as the AA Field struck home and number 4 was in the bag. As I had fired a Crow started shouting above me so I scanned the tree tops in the hope of seeing him but he was well hidden so I decided to call it a day but as I reached forward to pick up the gun I noticed that another Squirrel had already started feeding - number 5  joined the party. Left for home happy with my foray, 5 in just under an hour and a half, seen 2 Muntjac, a couple of Nuthatches and a Linnet.