Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

5 in just under an hour and a half, seen 2 Muntjac, a couple of Nuthatches and a Linnet. 

That sounds like a cracking morning to me, don't think I've ever seen a linnet? Off to look it up in a thing called a book.

Apparently there was a squirrel sat on my bird table when I was out watching pheasant fly past me on Thursday, hoping it pops back tomorrow while I'm doing the pots.

Funny you should mention colds Walker570 - had a , what I presume is a kind of cold, feeling a couple of days back but an hours walk with the Dogs saw it off - unusual for me as I'm pretty much immune to them, in fact I cannot ever recall suffering from one. Used to work as a caretaker clearing up whatever primary school kids can squirt out of their bodies but never suffered any ill effects whatsoever. Odd really when I have no immune system.

Edited by bruno22rf

36 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Funny you should mention colds Walker570 - had a , what I presume is a kind of cold, feeling a couple of days back but an hours walk with the Dogs saw it off - unusual for me as I'm pretty much immune to them, in fact I cannot ever recall suffering from one. Used to work as a caretaker clearing up whatever primary school kids can squirt out of their bodies but never suffered any ill effects whatsoever. Odd really when I have no immune system.

My wife said she could not remember me last having a cold but my diary tells me it was almost exactly this week Jan 3rd  2018 !!!  I normally shrug 'em off but this one has kept me grounded BUT don't tell the tree rats but I think I might be well enough to sneek out tomorrow:shoot:

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I have always struggled to understand why the S200 is not more popular in hunting circles - don't think the diminutive size or looks help but pick one up and hunt with it and you soon realise that it's a sublime tool.

I walked in to the Silware shop and said I wanted a PCP to add to my TX200. The owner turned took the one you see off the rack and gave me the price, it was second hand but like new.

I have not been disappointed. Cracking little rifle and small enough in size to move about in a hide with ease.  Earned it's keep in 2018 for sure.

The S200 is a solid super accurate PCP. Mine shoots consistent sub MOA, using JSB Express .22 

Had minor zero issues, which I cured by free floating the barrel and using other tips I picked up from ' Raj ' on the AAOC Forum.

My only criticism would be the trigger mechanism is a bit complex and it took some time and patience to get it the way I wanted.

The MK 1 S200 had a free floating barrel (I still have mine) then they improved? it with a lump of plastic to make it non free floating. I do not know about the trigger in the mk 2 but my mk 1 has a deliciously light and predictable trigger. It is very accurate with most decent quality pellets, I tend to stick to acupel as the combination just works. It is used to account for many squirrels and pigeons raiding my garden and many a rat around my farm permission.

48 minutes ago, 243deer said:

The MK 1 S200 had a free floating barrel (I still have mine) then they improved? it with a lump of plastic to make it non free floating. I do not know about the trigger in the mk 2 but my mk 1 has a deliciously light and predictable trigger. It is very accurate with most decent quality pellets, I tend to stick to acupel as the combination just works. It is used to account for many squirrels and pigeons raiding my garden and many a rat around my farm permission.

100%

1 hour ago, Robertt said:

The S200 is a solid super accurate PCP. Mine shoots consistent sub MOA, using JSB Express .22 

Had minor zero issues, which I cured by free floating the barrel and using other tips I picked up from ' Raj ' on the AAOC Forum.

My only criticism would be the trigger mechanism is a bit complex and it took some time and patience to get it the way I wante

Never needed to do anything to mine and assume it is a MK 1 as it has the adjustment on the side, it will shoot 'squirrel eye' accurate every time if I do my side of things.

Really canot fault it at all.

It looks like a MK 2, as it has the barrel band.

Absolute tack drivers with match grade barrels.

Accuracy matches my HW100, which was over twice the price.

As mentioned, I don't know why they're not more popular but I would highly recommend one as a proper pest control air rifle.

Edited by Robertt

6 hours ago, Robertt said:

It looks like a MK 2, as it has the barrel band.

Absolute tack drivers with match grade barrels.

Accuracy matches my HW100, which was over twice the price.

As mentioned, I don't know why they're not more popular but I would highly recommend one as a proper pest control air rifle.

I stand corrected. I was told it was a MK 1 and the pressure adjustment screw on the side was not found on later models. You could write what I know about air rifles onthe back of a postage stamp but I do know this little rifle is mustard. Hundreds of magpies as well as tree rats can attest to that...add a few feral pigeons as well.  I use the Webley Mosquito Express 14.35 and head or body shot they do the job.  I'm not a long range air rifle shooter  35 yrds plenty then I turn to the 17HMR.

On 03/01/2019 at 11:34, bruno22rf said:

Dear CZ - please make the S200 but add the following - better trigger blade, built in Mod/Shroud a Titanium Cylinder and fit a Reg - Air Arms seem totally oblivious to the potential of this little Rifle. Sell it through your current distributor.

I modified a spare browning adjustable trigger to fit mine. Also made a new fore end and fitted a picatinny rail and tripod mount and with an MTC mamba and home made night vision it sorts the rats out great. I use h&n ftt's.

Lots of movement on my three local pitches, just need the time to get at them. Managed three today when i went to feed but hopefully will have most mornings next week out at daybreak.

My cameras tell me crack of dawn , then about 3pm is the feed time.

I'm planning to average 5 a week this year, should put me on 250 for the year....best laid plans of mice and men!!

Another hide rigged in the wood this morning opposite Feeders 3 & 4.

2, 3 and 4 Feeders are all being used, but not 1a. Shot 3 off 1a and it seems to have cleared that corner for the time being. So who is going to be the first to score from this new hide? Mice or Mick C?

I find that I can take about ten or a dozen off a feeder then they go quiet. I just make sure they stay full and check the levels and within a week they are being used again but often then the take will be three or four, then quiet again. Smart animals and amazes me how quickly they find how to lift that lid. Saw an obvious newcome climb up one morning and start to investigate. It didn't take it more than a minute to find it could push the lid up and help itself.

Counting my own cabins I have seven locations within a 15 minute drive, so alternate them as activity starts to show on the cameras or my Forest Ranger (wife) reports an intruder.

Things look like they are hotting up for a busy month ahead, lots of activity.  A small farm shoot is planning to put a feeder on the corner of a wood and I can see that will be an eighth location.  As they say, watch this space.