Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Longbower said:

I still have't seen one , to get a shot at yet this year. The feeders are being ignored. 

My new Ultra SE .177  is feeling left out !

Another new gun!! Did Santa Claus get it for you?

3 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Another hide rigged in the wood this morning opposite Feeders 3 & 4.

2, 3 and 4 Feeders are all being used, but not 1a. Shot 3 off 1a and it seems to have cleared that corner for the time being. So who is going to be the first to score from this new hide? Mice or Mick C?

Or you? Just realised I've only shot squirrels off feeder one, and near 4, everything else has been in the trees?

######### !!!!  Cheeky  ############ !!!!   I have just put in a more permanent blind on one of my squirrel flip top sites as I am getting a steady flow of customers there.

I needed to put a roof on and found a couple of old roofing sheets. I was positioning these on the top of the blind and happened to glance at the flip top 10 paces away and the cheeky booger was sitting there as brazen as you like nibbling a peanut !!!   Well roof is now on and blind finished. Camera checked out with at least two tree rats visiting, so in the morning with rifle, flask and biscuits I will be laying in wait.  Hee Hee.

Edited by Walker570

I'm following a wildlife group local to me on Facebook, and some bloke puts up a collage of pictures every few days, always a few seriously fat squirrels sat there staring into the lense, with a clear shot no branches in the way, they don't sit that nice when I'm looking through the scope 😣 

Keep whacking and stacking AND asking advising others to take up the cause. OK my own little 10 acre wood is nothing compared to the rest of the country but we do not allow tree rats to survive more than 48hrs max. They die.  The fox, badger and buzzard population benefit and the small songbird population has exploded and cost me £10 a week to feed year round. Never saw tree creepers or nuthatch until I began to cull the tree rats ten years ago, now frequently see them along with four different versions of the Tit family, chaffinches gallore. Even the Greater Spotted Woodpecker manages to raise a brood each year and yes I know they will also eat young fledglings but they are not aliens.  I am convinced the tree rats ate their young every year.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Keep whacking and stacking AND asking advising others to take up the cause. OK my own little 10 acre wood is nothing compared to the rest of the country but we do not allow tree rats to survive more than 48hrs max. They die.  The fox, badger and buzzard population benefit and the small songbird population has exploded and cost me £10 a week to feed year round. Never saw tree creepers or nuthatch until I began to cull the tree rats ten years ago, now frequently see them along with four different versions of the Tit family, chaffinches gallore. Even the Greater Spotted Woodpecker manages to raise a brood each year and yes I know they will also eat young fledglings but they are not aliens.  I am convinced the tree rats ate their young every year.

Same here, just got to keep at em. The reality is that your 10 acres is an effective sump, drawing them in from probably miles around and therefore depleting a very large area.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Thanks Kev, I think this is the first time I have ever seen an interesting article in the Guardian and pro culling as well!

https://katch-it.co.uk/products/

ok so this isn't air rifle info but there are plenty of folk who are trapping and killing squirrels all round the country that post on here regularly.

Some of you may be on the Grey area squirrel group on Facebook which is run by Brendan Anderson, well Rob Elton is now sponsoring Brendon to help with costs, doing raffles and other stuff.

So i said I'd stick his web link up, hope this ok?

I like the look of the multi catch traps and the Larsen, can any of you guys that use Larsen traps take a look and tell me what you think.

cheers.

They look a tidy trap and plenty of room at the back to fit in a wire mesh peanut feeder.  I think I paid about £30 for the ones I have 7 of them and they have worked very well.

The little birds can enter and help themselves to peanuts but if tree rat or jay, magpie or crow try then the door closes on them.The joy of this type of trap is if you catch something like a hen pheasant or a woodpecker...which I have many times...then you can release them unharmed.

I have a lady enquiring about setting a trap in her garden as she has a plague of tree rats, so i will direct her to this company.

Edited by Walker570

It was chilly this morning at 7am as I sat on a feeder where I have already shot over 40 tree rats. I did not expect to see much but the area filled with pheasants and at least a dozen blackbird, one yellow hammer which glowed in the early sunlight.  Eventually a lone tree rat appeared on a mission and scuttled by the feeder and vanished down the hedgerow never to return.  Then a jackdaw made the mistake of calling by and stayed ..... till the badgers pass through tonight that is.  I think for the moment I have cleared this spot out but will keep the camera on to monitor any movement.  Gave up at 9.30 as the cold was seeping into my nether regions. Different location tomorrow morning and an hour on the magpies which are back on the silage.