squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have knowledge of a grey squirrel breeder?    I have four trail cams out on flip tops and three days and not a single sighting. OK I have whacked a bunch from each location but surely cannot have wiped them out.   Have a new location to hit this next week when the weather improves so may be able to catch up on my planned five a week.  Anyone else not seeing them?

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Does anyone have knowledge of a grey squirrel breeder?    I have four trail cams out on flip tops and three days and not a single sighting. OK I have whacked a bunch from each location but surely cannot have wiped them out.   Have a new location to hit this next week when the weather improves so may be able to catch up on my planned five a week.  Anyone else not seeing them?

Last four times I have been out, no one grey seen even using a FLIR.

Not seen any in six outings with Pulsar and no sightings have been reported by the public for at least 2 weeks. The weather has been cold and wet but they have to come out and eat at some time.  Walker I don’t think we should have promised to supply some grey tails quite so quickly!

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, they seem to have been hunkered down now fora couple of weeks

Edited by old man

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Another 48hr period on the cameras and still nothing.  It's getting frustrating.  Having withdrawl symptoms...going cold turkey:lol:

you must have some "proper" rats or ferals knocking about, I'm not surprised there missing given the wind and rain lately.

Or there all chasing the ladies?

Looking forward to being on some new ground on Monday and the weatherman says it will be a warm clear spring day.:yahoo:  Fed the two interconnecting rides with whole maize last week and can just drive up put my folding high seat on the Landie and see what turns up.  Three ran into cover when I did a recce without the food.  

Well I went today to fill up the feeders and check my camera, three feeders completely empty, nuts and maize, and 300+ pics of squirrels doing there thing at all times of the day, I'll be more precise once I've had a proper look on the computer.

but i never saw any squirrels while i was there, 2pm ish windy but warm.

Our two trail cameras have captured three at first break of daylight , on the bird tables and feeders . But, nothing when we are there.

The clever little beggars have learned when we are not about and adapted their feeding times.. 

So I put some fatballs in a live trap and bingo one each morning. 

It didn't feel very 'sporting' when dispatching them though!

You know there on to you when your seeing deer more often than squirrels.

out in the woods for 7 this morning, a few squirrels showing early on the camera although most are in the afternoons, One of the other chaps was out yesterday but the weather didn't play ball, but it meant i new there was food in the feeders.

Sat in a hide being patient when you can hear a lid on another feeder going bang isn't easy, but thought no I'll stay put, then along came a sodding couple out for a stroll through the reserve, arrrrrr!!

Decided to have a wander after 15 mins, actually saw a couple of squirrels but too close to a footpath, came back and saw a couple of deer near one of the feeders perfectly relaxed until a gas gun went off, but they just slipped away no panic or rush.

WP_20190318_08_20_17_Pro.jpg.12158aa0c46e4322e7b56733fda25e45.jpg

Spotted one squirrel actually moving about followed it and dropped it but couldn't find it in the rhododendrons' funny thing was it seemed quite relaxed, they normally vanish and I'm sure it had seen me.  

Oh dear.  How long is a piece of string?  You are going to get a fair smattering of suggestions. Personally I shoot a Mk 2 Air Arms S200 .22 and had no complaints from the customers yet.

However my style of shooting with an air rifle is from a hide onto a flip top feeder or pheasant feeder at no more than 15 paces. Head shots. I have taken body sots as well with this rifle and it still does the job but not as instantaniously.   If your going to be static then a similar rifle will do and there are a number of different makes and the tree rat will not notice the difference.

I do recommend using a flip top feeder as this draws them in and they will select a peanut or whole maize and sit still, tidy for a head shot.   If you have a umber of likely locations and the estate has a pheasant shoot then get a pop up blind and you can then change location as required.

My AA S200 is fitted with a silencer and is so quiet I shot one which was only about 6ft from a cock pheasant, the pheasant just paused from feeding for  a few seconds and stared at the twitching body, then carried on feeding. 

006.jpg

5 hours ago, gary pierce said:

hi im not sure what air rifle ro get for shooting squirrels as ive got an estate to shoot on it has to be quiet regards.

As walker says the world is your oyster, plus as you've got your fac you can look at fac air rifles, subs for your .22lr.

Second hand? new? As always it comes to budget.

6 hours ago, gary pierce said:

hi im not sure what air rifle ro get for shooting squirrels as ive got an estate to shoot on it has to be quiet regards.

.22 lr shooting  CCI  cb longs 29g  at 762 ft sec 32ft lbs , quieter than a mouse farting

Well i had a strange morning, warm no wind and three empty feeders!! Actually saw a squirrel on the ground which just kind of wandered off into a rhododendron bush, now for the weird bit, i then shot a dead squirrel? I was topping up the feeders looked round and saw a squirrel still on the ground, shot it but no blood certainly had only been dead a short while, nothing had touched it?? Very strange.

On 22/03/2019 at 12:20, Mice! said:

Well i had a strange morning, warm no wind and three empty feeders!! Actually saw a squirrel on the ground which just kind of wandered off into a rhododendron bush, now for the weird bit, i then shot a dead squirrel? I was topping up the feeders looked round and saw a squirrel still on the ground, shot it but no blood certainly had only been dead a short while, nothing had touched it?? Very strange.

Strange thought, Aflatoxin from peanuts? Shock from empty feeder?