squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Managed a double this morning, both shot out of the pine trees, my cammo works a treat, had an old fella come up to me, said he wasn't sure what i was 🤔 and a squirrel run down the trunk of the pine i was leaning against, needed a bayonet it got that close, it played hide and seek for probably half an hour moving in and out of the branches, but didn't seem concerned about me, I had to move away a bit as i was beyond vertical looking up the tree.

WP_20191024_09_38_19_Pro.jpg.2835313f17730f40b0c23c12460f2aeb.jpg

both young juveniles, with another in the garden when i got home, but that one never settled in one spot, but it will at some point.

Very odd on the permission I have. 

For weeks nothing much seen overall, Given the glut of natural food maybe not surprising?

Nothing interested in the feeders containing whole maize, peanuts and a bit of bird seed?

Any odd ones seen, depart rapidly for cover at 50yds distance? 

It's not me educating them as targets don't survive long enough to pass on the news.

Roll on the frosts?

1 hour ago, old man said:

Any odd ones seen, depart rapidly for cover at 50yds distance? 

It's not me educating them as targets don't survive long enough to pass on the news.

Every chance you've been spotted when you've shot some others? The youngster in my garden today was very twitchy, then a bigger male came along like he owned the joint.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's Tally Ho for me since getting the "call to arms" yesterday - quick call to the plod (9 minutes wait time!!!) late this morning and off to the Spinney, where I'm reliably informed a large grey tree Rat has been present everytime the Estate Manager has checked the Hopper this week. True to form he was sitting there enjoying an Autumn feast as I arrived but promptly disappeared into the undergrowth as I set up 20 odd yards from said Hopper (the Squirrel - not the EM) and a boring 20 minute wait ensued till he just, as if by magic, appeared feeding again. Well it's the first Nutty on this perm for my Cat (she's previously had 2 in my Garden) but this is the very reason I bought her so pressure's on for her - crosshairs straight down the forehead (forgetting my promise to chest shoot them at every opportunity), a touch of the trigger and the sound of a Mouse passing wind saw Nutty heading earthwards with little respect for the  birds pecking away beneath him or any attempt at Acrobatics despite 2 pigeons clapping loudly as they left the scene. Will be getting updates on 6 Hoppers Tomorrow so fingers crossed for the weekend - exciting times and feeling more confident now the FX has managed her first official foray with nothing falling off/bending or needing a service . 

48 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

confident now the FX has managed her first official foray with nothing falling off/bending or needing a service . 

It can't have been that bad?

Hope you're managing the walk ok, did you look at a golf trolley?

Tally Ho👍

:good: keep whacking and stacking.  I am waiting for a new front load valve for my AA S200 so have to use the 17HMR at the moment and some sites are not safe for such so have been a little frustrated this last week. Hopefully part will arrive tomorrow and I have now upgraded to a tank for filling. Just need for this !!!!####!!###!! awful weather to go away.  Drove back from Lincolnshire this afternoon and even some of the main roads where under water. 

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Golf Trolley would be no good i'm afraid ,Mice, have to negotiate a deep ditch followed by thick undergrowth to get to the Hopper - they cleared a path, of sorts, for me last year but no such luck this year. I, er, took a few extra Steroids in the morning - result on the mobility front. 

Have word again and get them to to do some clearing for you before you trip, my old fella had a good method, take your kids and give them a machete,  what kid doesn't like hacking at things with a machete. 

Glad she's purring. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

As some of you may know, I am a 'field Archer', and as such have a 28 acre piece of private woodland , that the archery club rents , I which to control the grey squirrel population.  We have bird feeders ,at two places in the woodland with a natural hide at one end , and a shed with a 'flip up' flap at the other end of the wood..

This was ideal , but they have learned NOT, to raid the feeders!  They are about , and can be seen , but simply pass by the feeders. So they definitely learn where and where not is safe. So what to do next? 

Any advice .?

9 hours ago, Longbower said:

Hi All, 

As some of you may know, I am a 'field Archer', and as such have a 28 acre piece of private woodland , that the archery club rents , I which to control the grey squirrel population.  We have bird feeders ,at two places in the woodland with a natural hide at one end , and a shed with a 'flip up' flap at the other end of the wood..

This was ideal , but they have learned NOT, to raid the feeders!  They are about , and can be seen , but simply pass by the feeders. So they definitely learn where and where not is safe. So what to do next? 

Any advice .?

Moving the feeders about and removing other food sources could be a help 

9 hours ago, Longbower said:

Any advice .

What are you feeding and how? Any pictures?

I've read a few things lately saying about using mixed feed, things that bring the squirrels in by smell and taste.

20191226_103014.jpg.a3e1da060af5b7d2f97d3fb6db1bfe60.jpg

This is from another site, I asked if they didn't just throw bits out and he answered no, his trail cam pictures showed squirrels all over his feeders.

I would also say leave the squirrels be for a couple of weeks, just feed the birds suet and fat balls,  let any squirrels come and go, I've often said this where we shoot that the squirrels know what times we can go, I've had my trail camera out and get plenty of pictures after ten am, but I've never seen one wearing a watch.