Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

My understanding is that the females would continue breeding but only produce male off spring. The model would show that by releasing a few hundred gm modified males within a decade the breeding population of greys would be finished. Time will tell.

Could be quite dangerous for the reds, anything GM is highly suspect to me?

2 hours ago, old man said:

Could be quite dangerous for the reds, anything GM is highly suspect to me?

Because it is a genetic modification it is species specific. Reds and Greys cannot interbreed. Things are moving fast in the genetics world.

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If it works it will certainly solve the problem of the urban tree rat where nothing is done to reduce or eliminate them.  A City, maybe London in the Royal Parks would be a good place to start or any of the National Trust Stately Homes/Parks.

👍

• 1 month later...

20200521_215432.jpg.ae531ee6cd77d1bc49bdf09d40ee625b.jpg

Well they've had a little nibble trying to get at the food under the ramp, but that's it so I'm happy seeing as its been left since lockdown. 

The bonus was while watching the roe and thinking about seeing if I could get closer I spotted a couple of fox cubs playing in the grass.

So feeder is back up and a lovely evening it was.

walker 570................gets a nervous tic everytime he sees a post like this....................his dreams comprise of him bringing down sqirrels as big as buffalos with a 458 winchester.....then he wakes up in his tent

Edited by ditchman

Popped out this morning to check the feeder and fill it ready for shooting Friday,  well when I arrived at 11am there is a squirrel waiting for me, it went onto the feeder and fell off😆😆 back up and into the feeder, just the tail poking out then nothing, we played peek a boo for a couple of minutes before I decided he was cheating so I shot him, first time I've shot a squirrel in a feeder!! Time 11:05.

1.5kg of feed gone since Thursday night,  they had ripped out the perspex ramp, but I've changed that on my MK2 feeders, they had literally licked the feeder clean.

20200527_130626.jpg.299e3160fa77df1028763dc5eb373767.jpg20200527_130606.jpg.4567df020652d2a66a15805c73ea0378.jpg20200527_130521.jpg.12d8b2bc6ff05045922b2148223436a1.jpg20200527_130535.jpg.9a8d65f5e78a463ed3dedf0b7a60838f.jpg

I waited around and a buzzard came through the wood, I'm not sure who was more startled me or him? Then a squirrel walked past me within about 4mtrs,  not a thing I could do.

Hopefully they'll be back Friday morning, early start so they had better be.

On 26/05/2020 at 12:56, ditchman said:

walker 570................gets a nervous tic everytime he sees a post like this....................his dreams comprise of him bringing down sqirrels as big as buffalos with a 458 winchester.....then he wakes up in his tent

You know me too well Simon. Glad to have your sense of humour back with us.  Stay safe my friend.

Had eight today without really trying.....OK I was up and at 'em at 4.30am but layin' in bed is such a waste of time.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Popped out this morning to check the feeder and fill it ready for shooting Friday,  well when I arrived at 11am there is a squirrel waiting for me, it went onto the feeder and fell off😆😆 back up and into the feeder, just the tail poking out then nothing, we played peek a boo for a couple of minutes before I decided he was cheating so I shot him, first time I've shot a squirrel in a feeder!! Time 11:05.

1.5kg of feed gone since Thursday night,  they had ripped out the perspex ramp, but I've changed that on my MK2 feeders, they had literally licked the feeder clean.

20200527_130626.jpg.299e3160fa77df1028763dc5eb373767.jpg20200527_130606.jpg.4567df020652d2a66a15805c73ea0378.jpg20200527_130521.jpg.12d8b2bc6ff05045922b2148223436a1.jpg20200527_130535.jpg.9a8d65f5e78a463ed3dedf0b7a60838f.jpg

I waited around and a buzzard came through the wood, I'm not sure who was more startled me or him? Then a squirrel walked past me within about 4mtrs,  not a thing I could do.

Hopefully they'll be back Friday morning, early start so they had better be.

Brilliant....a man after my own heart. 

Edited by Walker570

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Had eight today without really trying.....OK I was up and at 'em at 4.30am but layin' in bed is such a waste of time.

8 is certainly worth getting up early for, a cracking morning's work.

I'd been in bed two hours when you rolled out😅😅

Mice!

Havn't been watching this thread so a bit late on the bus.

Just seen your group with J.S.B.'s.

There's alot of rubbish written on this forum about pellet choice.

You can save alot of time and money if you start at JSB made pellets as they are the bencemark.

This card is with a HW100 but the S200 in .22 will do the same with Express.

20170311_144210.jpg

1 hour ago, Robertt said:

Mice!

Havn't been watching this thread so a bit late on the bus.

Just seen your group with J.S.B.'s.

There's alot of rubbish written on this forum about pellet choice.

You can save alot of time and money if you start at JSB made pellets as they are the bencemark.

This card is with a HW100 but the S200 in .22 will do the same with Express.

20170311_144210.jpg

Some nice shooting there, I've said elsewhere I haven't got around to doing a thorough pellet test because of circumstances,  but at 25 there's nothing in it between most pellets as you would expect,  I need to change my scope for further testing,  the Simmons 3.5x10x50 I've got on the R10 is lovely,  light bright picture but the cross hairs are a bit thick for testing past 25mtrs as they simply block what your aiming at.

And I've been given a good selection to test😁

All pretty simple in my view, try a few and as you say start with JSBs I tried some Webley Mosquito in my S200 and I was very happy but the magpies hated them and they tended to be a bit of a headcahe for tree rats.  I don't swap about just for the sake of it. Always been my attitude, if it ain't broke don't try to mend it.   The JSB heavies in my 177 TX200 also performed very well. Stuff semed to fall over consistently.

4 hours ago, Robertt said:

Think Mosquitoes are JSB made.

It sounds random but just watching pellet reviews on YouTube is quite beneficial,  seeing someone shoot groups isn't the most exciting thing but some can be quite insightful.

1 hour ago, old man said:

Rolands and Samuels seem to be falling over themselves for Hades here in the garden.

I've seen my first youngsters today while walking in the park, they looked tiny next to the buck I got yesterday,  my alarm is set nice and early,  I hope the squirrels have set there's. 

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've seen my first youngsters today while walking in the park, they looked tiny next to the buck I got yesterday,  my alarm is set nice and early,  I hope the squirrels have set there's. 

👍

I have 2 that I am trying to lure into the zone from their fence top motorway. 

Patience and peanut butter?

Well, I'll start at the beginning,  I was in position before 7am and happy about that seeing as I finished work at midnight. 

Any time I start seeing a BOP I tend to think things will go well, the buzzard was just coming out the wood as I went in.

Now decision time, check the feeder or not? I decided not, no way could they have emptied 2.5kg in two days? I didn't fill it because of the damage they had done ripping out the ramp, I'd blocked the gap with twigs hoping it would hold till I can sort it next week.

Around 7:15 all hell broke loose, there were squirrels everywhere,  and I mean everywhere, but they weren't on the feeder,  they were on the ground behind a couple of inches of growth,  moving around jumping on each other, then they were in the trees, going past me on the ground again absolutely everywhere but I was unable to take a shot.

About 7:45 ish boom, one appeared on the feeder, pfft 1 down with a thud, everything vanished,  I looked left watching two playing chase ten mtrs away up and down a tree, trying to decide if i can get a shot, something catches my eye and the fox is right in front of me,  it looks beautiful,  glowing in the sun looking straight at me, safety on, trying to put my rifle down and get my phone out, i couldn't open the screen because I had gloves on, look back and he's gone, and so has my squirrel,  i should have just enjoyed watching. 

I'm expecting that to be it, but the pair on the tree are still going at it, so i move around trying to get an angle,  they move even closer towards me, go to take the shot, safety is on!! i took them both off the tree trunk but one vanished into the undergrowth,  probably about 6mtrs away, with a follow up shot needed on one still twitching 😔 the pellets must have gone clean through without enough damage being so close.

I went back to my original position and despite making a good bit of noise looking for the wounded squirrel,  there are tails flicking at me again, I've never known anything like it.

After about half an hour of tail flicking another went onto the feeder pfft another down, with those at the bottom running off again, I gave it twenty minutes then went for a look, no squirrel? The feeder is nearly empty and there is food all over the floor where they've pulled the twigs out!! Which explains why they aren't on the feeder, I'll probably move it again because not being able to see the base clearly is a pain.

I put some peanut butter on the lid thinking I'll give it another half an hour and see if anything else shows up wondering where the squirrel was, two patches of blood on the floor but no squirrel. 

A little while later and their back again on the deck, then one goes up the tree and straight to the crack peanut butter,  gun up squirrel down, that one thudding to the ground causes another to jump into the tree from the ground,  pfft that ones down , two in quick succession,  I look around nothing to be seen, I can see one on the deck but not the other so I go too look, one stone dead the other under a fallen pine but not dead!!  Before I can get to it its shuffled down an old rabbit hole, and I'm not putting my hand down after it.

6 down with 3 missing that's enough for me, I put two shots onto a screw and one onto a bottle top checking my zero, everything fine so I've no idea what has happened to the two missing off the feeder.

I didn't fill the feeder, they can clear the floor before next week, and while I'm packing up I look round to see another squirrel licking the feeder lid, I left it be, I was annoyed at having what should have been a great morning spoilt by the two wounded and one missing,  I didn't want to wound another, I'll stick some targets up next week and see what's what. And give the heavies or barracuda a go.

3 should have been 10.

51 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well, I'll start at the beginning,  I was in position before 7am and happy about that seeing as I finished work at midnight. 

Any time I start seeing a BOP I tend to think things will go well, the buzzard was just coming out the wood as I went in.

Now decision time, check the feeder or not? I decided not, no way could they have emptied 2.5kg in two days? I didn't fill it because of the damage they had done ripping out the ramp, I'd blocked the gap with twigs hoping it would hold till I can sort it next week.

Around 7:15 all hell broke loose, there were squirrels everywhere,  and I mean everywhere, but they weren't on the feeder,  they were on the ground behind a couple of inches of growth,  moving around jumping on each other, then they were in the trees, going past me on the ground again absolutely everywhere but I was unable to take a shot.

About 7:45 ish boom, one appeared on the feeder, pfft 1 down with a thud, everything vanished,  I looked left watching two playing chase ten mtrs away up and down a tree, trying to decide if i can get a shot, something catches my eye and the fox is right in front of me,  it looks beautiful,  glowing in the sun looking straight at me, safety on, trying to put my rifle down and get my phone out, i couldn't open the screen because I had gloves on, look back and he's gone, and so has my squirrel,  i should have just enjoyed watching. 

I'm expecting that to be it, but the pair on the tree are still going at it, so i move around trying to get an angle,  they move even closer towards me, go to take the shot, safety is on!! i took them both off the tree trunk but one vanished into the undergrowth,  probably about 6mtrs away, with a follow up shot needed on one still twitching 😔 the pellets must have gone clean through without enough damage being so close.

I went back to my original position and despite making a good bit of noise looking for the wounded squirrel,  there are tails flicking at me again, I've never known anything like it.

After about half an hour of tail flicking another went onto the feeder pfft another down, with those at the bottom running off again, I gave it twenty minutes then went for a look, no squirrel? The feeder is nearly empty and there is food all over the floor where they've pulled the twigs out!! Which explains why they aren't on the feeder, I'll probably move it again because not being able to see the base clearly is a pain.

I put some peanut butter on the lid thinking I'll give it another half an hour and see if anything else shows up wondering where the squirrel was, two patches of blood on the floor but no squirrel. 

A little while later and their back again on the deck, then one goes up the tree and straight to the crack peanut butter,  gun up squirrel down, that one thudding to the ground causes another to jump into the tree from the ground,  pfft that ones down , two in quick succession,  I look around nothing to be seen, I can see one on the deck but not the other so I go too look, one stone dead the other under a fallen pine but not dead!!  Before I can get to it its shuffled down an old rabbit hole, and I'm not putting my hand down after it.

6 down with 3 missing that's enough for me, I put two shots onto a screw and one onto a bottle top checking my zero, everything fine so I've no idea what has happened to the two missing off the feeder.

I didn't fill the feeder, they can clear the floor before next week, and while I'm packing up I look round to see another squirrel licking the feeder lid, I left it be, I was annoyed at having what should have been a great morning spoilt by the two wounded and one missing,  I didn't want to wound another, I'll stick some targets up next week and see what's what. And give the heavies or barracuda a go.

3 should have been 10.

More for next time Mice.

Don't beat yourself up about it Mice! Chances are the little blighters are dead as dead can be but they have an uncanny ability to vanish in the undergrowth. Time and Time again I have seen them leg it with a hole through the head so ,following what somebody suggested on here, I shot the last 3 in the chest - they all dropped like a sack of spuds! Beginning to wonder if aim point is relevant to calibre choice.Very well done BTW.

50 minutes ago, old man said:

More for next time Mice.

Traps going out as well next week 👍( live catch)

46 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Don't beat yourself up about it Mice! Chances are the little blighters are dead as dead can be but they have an uncanny ability to vanish in the undergrowth. Time and Time again I have seen them leg it with a hole through the head so ,following what somebody suggested on here, I shot the last 3 in the chest - they all dropped like a sack of spuds! Beginning to wonder if aim point is relevant to calibre choice.Very well done BTW.

I was wondering about the caliber having an effect,  with the .22 I've hit them high in the head and they've dropped but not dead, so quite possible the same thing has happened,  I'm sure the fox will eat well tonight. 

Hunter extremes and jsb heavies to try, if one sits up nice I'll certainly look at a chest shot, the two on the tree wouldn't have ran at almost point blank range with .22