squirrel control

Mice!

22 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Nice work if the food is going down maybe they are starting to use it again, probably a good time too put your camera up to get an idea, I went to check mine yesterday a some little **** has robbed my camera 😡😡 

I was going to put mine up this week,  picked it up and found the wife has broken one of the clasps!! So I left it.

I always expect mine to have gone, it's why I won't pay more than £30, are you on public land?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

No its private but there is the odd dog walker that's not meant to be there 😡 

I ended up carrying a ladder onto the reserve and putting my camera up high, it made things hard work but gave me piece of mind.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Great story

Cheers Walker, there on the move up here but loads of natural food around,  I'm always surprised seeing pigeons taking acorns off the branches, I thought I'd found a load of squirrels yesterday but it was 5 or 6 pigeons working through an oak tree 

Few and far between around here, well spread out enjoying the natural food.  I have three or four woodies working under the hazels in my wood, walking about finding something to eat as they stop every now and then and peck the ground. Darn nuisance because in the darkness under the canopy they can look very squirrel like.   I have nine flip tops out at the moment and non of them are showing any sign of use.  

31 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Darn nuisance because in the darkness under the canopy they can look very squirrel like.   I have nine flip tops out at the moment and non of them are showing any sign of use. 

They certainly do look squirrel like, and your flip tops aren't being used because you've shot them all sir 👍👍(and the natural food)

2 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

Just what might be a silly question but is this a thread for squirrel control in areas where you're battling the grey tide to help protect reds or just a place to talk grey squirrel control just In general ? Sorry if this seems a daft question? 

Both, some are in areas where there are Reds but others where there are not. Grey Squirrels are an invasive non native species. It is illegal to release them if caught in the UK and they carry a pox disease which doesn’t really affect them but can be fatal to the Reds. Reds are naturally breeding and as the greys are thinned out it makes space for the Reds to repopulate into suitable habitat.

1 minute ago, Fisheruk said:

Both, some are in areas where there are Reds but others where there are not. Grey Squirrels are an invasive non native species. It is illegal to release them if caught in the UK and they carry a pox disease which doesn’t really affect them but can be fatal to the Reds. Reds are naturally breeding and as the greys are thinned out it makes space for the Reds to repopulate into suitable habitat.

Oh believe me I know plenty about the grey tails . Am a keeper In Essex unfortunately we haven't had reds this way for many many years before I was even born !! We take between 200-250 yearly from the shoot 

31 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

Just what might be a silly question but is this a thread for squirrel control in areas where you're battling the grey tide to help protect reds or just a place to talk grey squirrel control just In general ? Sorry if this seems a daft question? 

Started out with me putting on what I'd been up to and grew from there.

There are many areas oop north where reds are returning to areas they've not been seen in for years, if it wasn't for the squirrel groups and volunteers we probably wouldn't have reds in England now.

Many groups in the Midlands and south are controlling greys to prevent tree damage or bird predation,  I don't think the grey will ever be gone but the bird species certainly increase in areas when they have been thinned.

2 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

I've just recently brought a air arms s410 in 22 and was going to take it out a lot on squirrels on the pheasant feeders this season and was wondering if this was the place to post the tales of how I get on ? 

Feel free, add it or start your own thread but we like pictures as well 😅

7 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

I've just recently brought a air arms s410 in 22 and was going to take it out a lot on squirrels on the pheasant feeders this season and was wondering if this was the place to post the tales of how I get on ? 

Yes, it is always good to hear other people’s experiences. There is also the Grey Squirrel cull thread where we add our cull figures as a running total. I will be good to have another active member adding to the PW total. 👍

I went up to fill my feeders Wednesday morning, interestingly all the sweet chestnuts had been dumped on the floor, they weren't green and ripe ones though.
The feeder and my other are both being used I just don't know when.

I put the trail camera up at Big wood feeder and I'll go pick it up Friday morning, I added conkers this week , see what times there visiting, hopefully its stayed on target this week.

20200911_163651.jpg 20200923_231628.jpg 20200923_231643.jpg 20200923_231659.jpg
Whilst having a look around the other week I found a badly damaged Sycamore, how it was still standing I don't know, it was pretty near some buildings, happy to say it's down and some brownie points in the bag.

And big coat time, it was very cold Wednesday morning, I heard something on the news saying coldest September night for two decades.

Picked the camera up in the dark this morning, I could just make out a few chestnuts on the ground.
I started having a look through the pictures, got to around 2pm before a squirrel appeared!! Then it flashed low bat and turned off, I'll put new batteries in later and see what's going on.

I get home and a squirrel comes along the garage and looks through the kitchen window straight at me! Been a long while since a squirrel has come into my garden, been a couple come into 'my wood' in the last few weeks, it won't end well for them.

Well, I had a squirrel on the feeder between 9:06 and 9:18 going in the top flip, which is quite funny, then nothing until 14:00, 14:45-57, 15:09, 15:53, 16:37.
No great pictures because of the position I put it, rain on the lenses then something triggered it again at 19:20.

Only the one day probably because of the low batteries but they've been changed now, interesting that the squirrels are coming later and not early all of a sudden.

They are all over the place at the moment, ground is thick with acorns here and had a couple swearing at me this morning when I was sat crow shooting but I could not see them in the oak trees.  Just wondering if to chop some acorns up to mix with my flip top feed. One of those old runner bean slicers would be good for that.  A few weeks and they will be back on the pheasant feeders.  Have a lot to make up.

I cant wait for them to get back on the feeders! I have been getting the odd one or two in the tree tops with the 12g , but they are few and far between. 

I was fishing the Trent and Mersey canal near Anderton Boat lift , and the trees , on the other side in Marbury Park , were ' bouncing' with the grey rats !!!

All I could do was watch.

Talk about frustrating!

Got some nerve these squirrels, you set them up a nice little feeding station and they try to wreck it.
They started chewing it during lockdown when it ran empty, and have carried on since, so I brought it home, did some repairs and its going up in a different position next week, I've used different paint as well, they seem to like the taste of the brown too much.
20201003_171401.jpg 20201003_171416.jpg 20201003_174237.jpg
I've added another ledge, and the chicken wire is to stop them falling off, yes its funny but I want them sat up nice :)

On 03/10/2020 at 18:59, Mice! said:

Got some nerve these squirrels, you set them up a nice little feeding station and they try to wreck it.
They started chewing it during lockdown when it ran empty, and have carried on since, so I brought it home, did some repairs and its going up in a different position next week, I've used different paint as well, they seem to like the taste of the brown too much.
20201003_171401.jpg 20201003_171416.jpg 
I've added another ledge, and the chicken wire is to stop them falling off, yes its funny but I want them sat up nice :)

😂😂😂That’s squirrels for you- ungrateful critters. I guess you are going to have to add some sheet metal to the corners?

You are not the only person to have squirrel damage last month. The manager at a local Outdoor Adventure camp has had an expensive electricians bill after a grey chewed electric cables in one of the cabins. The only consolation is the grey didn’t survive its high voltage meal!

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

😂😂😂That’s squirrels for you- ungrateful critters. I guess you are going to have to add some sheet metal to the corners?

You are not the only person to have squirrel damage last month. The manager at a local Outdoor Adventure camp has had an expensive electricians bill after a grey chewed electric cables in one of the cabins. The only consolation is the grey didn’t survive its high voltage meal!

I would have used the plasterers metal edge strips, but none in the garage, it'll be back up this week ready for the rush!

Hope that means your now trapping at the outdoor adventure place?

@Martlandhw100 get your picture up 👍