squirrel control

Mice!

44 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Public park again? Fella on FB shot 23 the other day, garden permission alongside a public park.

Yes public wood owned by council. 

13 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Crikey- how frustrating!

,Mice is right, it wouldn’t do any harm in seeing whether there is a sympathetic neighbour who might let you shoot in the garden. It’s surprising how a casual chat whilst walking the dog can open up opportunities .

That might not be a bad idea that I do speak to a couple who live right by the wood maybe it would be an idea to ask the question, or even post some letters through the doors of some of the local properties 👍 it's worth a try definitely 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Yes public wood owned by council. 

That might not be a bad idea that I do speak to a couple who live right by the wood maybe it would be an idea to ask the question, or even post some letters through the doors of some of the local properties 👍 it's worth a try definitely 

Mention how you're seeing reds not to far away,  and don't want the greys spreading that way 👍

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Just good knowing they are back on the feeder in this wood, makes sitting in the cold much more worthwhile 👍

Have to get building your self a hide 😂 the wood I put that in still has no signs of any grays on the feeders, I did put the feeder up in the new wood last week just could do with a dry day seen as I haven't got a comfy hide in there 😊

41 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Have to get building your self a hide 😂 the wood I put that in still has no signs of any grays on the feeders, I did put the feeder up in the new wood last week just could do with a dry day seen as I haven't got a comfy hide in there 😊

I'll make do with a fishing brolley,  hopefully do an hour each morning a quick hit and run.

I shot a squirrel in the garden today as it was hanging on a branch picking acorns. I hit it with a .22 from my springer at about 25 yards. I had a good sight of it and had a safe backstop with the trunk behind it. Smacked it between the ears from behind a killed instantly. The strange thing was that it clamped it’s teeth on the branch and was just hanging there stone cold dead. I eventually had to knock it down with a broom handle. 

anybody seen that before? 

I have a Tee Pee from Bushwear and it has stood steady light rain.  That is a good hide but a nightmare to get back rolled up.  Nice and light to carry with ruck sac style straps.  Fortunately on most of my areas I have permanent blinds or high seats or I can park up the Landie which is semi waterproof:unhappy:.

11 minutes ago, AVB said:

The strange thing was that it clamped it’s teeth on the branch and was just hanging there stone cold dead. I eventually had to knock it down with a broom handle. 

Its often the paws and claws that grab as the pellet hits, it probably bit into the acorn as it died .

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

SQUIRRELS !!

I put my camera up on my repaired feeder last week, 21st till the 29th wall to wall squirrels dawn till dusk, feeder was just about empty. 

I'll be paying them a visit next week. 

Interesting! The weather has been dreadful in that period. I normally think the greys don’t like wet weather, but since they have got to eat  every day , I wonder if they prefer dry food from your feeder rather than soggy acorns?

Good luck on Monday.

My licence to control has expired, so I can’t get out to shoot until the powers that be return from furlough. Grrrrr

5 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Interesting! The weather has been dreadful in that period. I normally think the greys don’t like wet weather, but since they have got to eat  every day , I wonder if they prefer dry food from your feeder rather than soggy acorns?

Good luck on Monday.

My licence to control has expired, so I can’t get out to shoot until the powers that be return from furlough. Grrrrr

That's something I haven't considered,  its interesting watching what goes on around the feeder, you can see and hear the wind, when the sunlight blazes through the trees, or you get black and white in the middle of the day because of the clouds.

The feed, or chewed up bits was bone dry still and dusty so you could be onto something,  the floor around the feeder was spotless but I've got deer on film as well.

I was certainly surprised at how quickly the feeder had gone down.

Well due to a family bereavement, my Dad died, RIP Dad, I'm finally out and about and haved checked the feeders that I haven't seen for weeks  and guess what, nothing, nothing at all still full! still full after all this time, I reckon too much natural food and the awful weather has kept them quiet, well I will find you Mr grey, if you won't come to the feeder then I will break out the thermal and find you, Watch out!

4 hours ago, ratchers said:

Well due to a family bereavement, my Dad died, RIP Dad, I'm finally out and about and haved checked the feeders that I haven't seen for weeks  and guess what, nothing, nothing at all still full! still full after all this time, I reckon too much natural food and the awful weather has kept them quiet, well I will find you Mr grey, if you won't come to the feeder then I will break out the thermal and find you, Watch out!

Sorry to hear about your old fella.

But definitely get the thermal out if you can, perfect time for it.

16 hours ago, ratchers said:

Condolences ratchers.   Yes, my flip tops have been untouched. I have nine up and running at the moment. All but one which was empty. Now the small wood this one is in is mainly silver birch but with two old large oaks along one side but not many accorns on the ground. Maybe this was the reason.  I'll have to wait now to see if they are at it again.  December is going to be a busy month.

3 minutes ago, Longbower said:

Strange , my feeders are not being touched , neither are the sweet chestnuts on the ground . 

I haven;t seen a squirrel for over a week .  Puzzed?

Have you opened up any of the sweet chestnuts? I was seeing these chewed on the ground a few weeks ago, but some I found probably weren't worth the effort of opening. 

Interesting morning,  the amount of noise coming from the wood this morning was unreal, rooks possibly a raven, and something else!

Been a while since I've been in position before day light, all was calm then the wind picked up and it wasn't a warm breeze.
I could see the feeder through my scope but not by eye, by 720 I was thinking the wind will be keeping the squirrels tucked up warm like I should be when ten minutes later a grey storms past me, it was so big I thought it was a rabbit. 

It stopped under the feeder, started to feed and gave me a broadside shot, 1 down.

I got up and moved her, as much to move my feet as anything and settled back down,  half an later the wind has stopped and its brightened up, and another comes along from the opposite direction,  this one went straight up onto the feeder, exactly like the camera was showing facing straight at me pfft between the eyes, straight down and number 2.
attachFull394290 

It darkens again and starts to rain so that's enough for today, 2 very big girls, the feeder has been hammered since Thursday and I'm off to bed.

I was out this morning as well, luckily the wood is fairly sheltered, spotted a few rabbits with the thermal and got within two feet of one before it bolted out of the brambles.

Shot a young grey feeding on the chestnuts and that was it for the morning. No dog walkers out, which was unusual.

Had a stroll round a country hotel at lunchtime, again saw nothing but the feeder had been emptied, so topped it up. Hopefully the hotel will let me shoot during the lockdown, if it is permitted.

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

I was out this morning as well, luckily the wood is fairly sheltered, spotted a few rabbits with the thermal and got within two feet of one before it bolted out of the brambles.

Shot a young grey feeding on the chestnuts and that was it for the morning. No dog walkers out, which was unusual.

Had a stroll round a country hotel at lunchtime, again saw nothing but the feeder had been emptied, so topped it up. Hopefully the hotel will let me shoot during the lockdown, if it is permitted.

If your in a red area then it will be permitted I would believe. Interesting that feeders are back on the menu.  Must cancel all engagements in December.