squirrel control

Mice!

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My Forest Ranger took time off from preparing my evening meal and went for a check round our traps in the wood. She saw a flick of movement and froze.  Two young tree rats began chasing each other around the big old oak in the middle of our wood and then a larger one appeared from under some laurels and joined them. Checking the diary there was an influx about this time last year.  Right at dusk i drove down and tipped a bucket of peanuts and bird seed at the base of the oak which is 20yrds from one of my permanent cabins.  Just need to crawl from beneath the sheets in the morning and get down there before light.

I am sure you will be awake before the alarm at the prospect of getting at them 👍

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cannot be guaranteed. Alarm essential and have been known to sleep through them as well hence a repeat facility:blush:

On the bright side Nev it's not coming light till around 7:15 so you don't need to be up too early,  but I do find it much easier going after night shift,  the problem at the moment is twiddling my thumbs till its light enough to do a bit.

I had no luck this morning,  strange as the feeder was well down again,  but every chance the squirrels are coming later so I'll put the camera out again next week.

I did see a stoat this morning,  I won't lie when I saw a flash of red against the leaves I got excited,  it was back and forth for quite some time and great to watch.

20201118_180638.jpg.7b2a0cd74cf2cbe057264abb15ba7b43.jpg

Something has certainly been coming and going so I might have to try and get creative with the camera angle. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Cannot be guaranteed. Alarm essential and have been known to sleep through them as well hence a repeat facility

What you need is one of these on your wrist

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://tabtime.com/products/tabtime-vibrating-alarm-watch-with-10-alarms&ved=2ahUKEwjL8sbD3YztAhVGQUEAHVUoA04QFjAAegQICBAC&usg=AOvVaw2tXN05qahIBNxuvgl0Wp6M

This nudges me into action for medication, and hasn't failed me yet

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Lad in work bought a £400 apple watch because he said it needed to vibrate and no others did, he obviously didn't look very hard.

Out again this morning, after the wind and rain this week it was like a summer's morning, sun coming up revealed clear skies with a gentle breeze, perfect.
I spent 40 minutes at the first feeder before moving on knowing time was against me, a few squirrels were out in the open but vanished as soon as I appeared.
I walked the loop of feeders taking around two hours but saw no squirrels which just seemed strange, not on the deck or in the trees. where I've put the main feeder there was a pair of buzzards in the trees calling which probably explains why that patch was so quiet.
20201119_182604.jpg
Feeder might have been eaten by next week?

It was a beautiful morning with perfect conditions so the lack of squirrels is a real puzzle, I expected having put up a few feeders and the numbers I saw that the squirrels would be queuing to get at the food, but unless they are staying tucked up till later in the morning I'm baffled.

I deliberately headed back to the first feeder for another look and typically there was a squirrel on the feeder and another off to the right!!
The one on the feeder slunk off as I got into position so I settled in to wait although I should have been in bed asleep.
The gardener appeared and I was sure he was going to come over but thankfully he didn't, maybe ten minutes watching the birds helping themselves and a squirrel appeared below the feeder, no shot as I can only see a tail, I'm looking through branches willing it onto the feeder, finally it moved up, and started eating, there are sunflower hearts and bird seed in the feeder, no peanuts which meant the squirrel didn't sit up, just fed head down , I need to remove a twig, typical! Thankfully it moved forward a touch PFFT BANG, not a quiet impact as the pellet went through the squirrel and hit the feeder.
20201119_182619.jpg
That's one feeder blooded. The squirrel pitched forwards, shook then flipped onto the floor, I've now got a mark where I'll add another piece of ply.
20201119_182643.jpg
One female, and few I haven't blanked on here yet.
I said to the gardener I was torn between coming out early or in the afternoon and decided to go with morning, his comment was well you might get one or fifteen looking at the weather :facepalm:

I haven't messaged him yet to ask how many he saw in the afternoon

Still one is better than none.

Different here it poured all morning but still managed to get one and then after mid day it cleared with bright sun and sure enough another came out to play.  There was a ton of nuts and maize on the floor nearbye but neither of then showed any interest but where foraging under the leaves probably for the last few acorns.  I only have one location where they are showing interest in food.

Different here it poured all morning but still managed to get one and then after mid day it cleared with bright sun and sure enough another came out to play.  There was a ton of nuts and maize on the floor nearbye but neither of then showed any interest but where foraging under the leaves probably for the last few acorns.  I only have one location where they are showing interest in food.

Funnily enough there must have been 40 plus rooks under one tree as I was driving home,  not sure what tree it was but they had obviously found something they liked.

I spent 4 hours in the big wood hide on Wednesday I was there just before daylight and I didn't see a squirrel on the feeder, I went back today to add a flip top lid onto the feeder and while making some adjustments to the hide I did see a few squirrels in the conopys. One of which had a stick in its mouth so I'm guessing it was making a dray, the feeder has been up for 2weeks and I have filled it up once. 

There is quite alot of oak trees and I noticed there is a few sweet chestnut trees as well as beech trees. I think once they do start using the feeder there will be quite alot to be had 🤞

7 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:

One of which had a stick in its mouth so I'm guessing it was making a dray, the feeder has been up for 2weeks and I have filled it up once. 

I thought that was going to read that it shook the stick at you🤣🤣

Edited by Mice!
Bad linglish

Another from a feeder this afternoon.

It’s been a wet and grey day, but the rain lessened into a drizzle this afternoon so I went to top up the feeders. One in particular had been used well. I topped it up and retreated to the shelter, which gave me a good wide view. After a 10 minute wait I saw a flash if a squirrel at the back of the tree. A few moments later it was around the front and on the feeder. A patient wait for a couple of minutes as it seems to be looking straight at me. Game of statues follows. Squirrel decides it’s safe to dive into the lift lid feeder for a nut. I raise the rifle from bench to shoulder and freeze. Squirrel finishes first nut and dives headfirst into feeder for second nut. I cock the rifle and line up the crosshairs, then freeze. Squirrel obligingly sits on the shelf looking straight at me. Squeeze the trigger and 40gr of subsonic lead finds its mark 50 metres away. Not a twitch, it just drops off to lie on the ground beneath said feeder.

image.jpeg.c44f51622d4f460ba91a1429b9f77a22.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

It is funny how one specific feeder is being hit and yet others not touched. Just had a chat with a keeper and he said my flip tops had hardly been touched yet his son took a walk through one wood (12acres) and shot 14 with his 22rf  all on the ground foraging.   I think the terrific quantity of natural food this autumn/winter has shifted their movements/habits a bit.

That looks like a big fat healthy tree rat and a female at that, well done.

Edited by Walker570

Back out at the syndicates wood this morning where I have seen some greys recently around the same oak trees.Before I arrived I nearly run one over which was playing in the road with a few of the reared pheasants.Anyway got into position to ambush any foolish enough to arrive and was rewarded after 45 minutes with a noise behind me so I slowly looked round to see a hare snuffling about,came up to about 6 feet away and still didn't spot me,fantastic sight,it trotted off and after a while the desired greys came along,came from behind me towards the oaks but I couldn't get a shot,tbh its really difficult terrain with lots of brash and branches,so I had to bide my time,watched it swing round and go along the hedge line to the tree,still no opportunity,it started climbing and then there was two!watched them playing tag around and around the trunk until one stopped a little to long and took the shot,down it went which started the other one barking,but it stayed out of danger and disapeared,so got a female but the fella got away.Decided to have a mooch through the wood and got another that was daft enough to sit on a branch after I had spooked it on the ground.Saw another with the FLIR but no shot was on.So two females shot and three for another day.

2 hours ago, ratchers said:

Back out at the syndicates wood this morning where I have seen some greys recently around the same oak trees.Before I arrived I nearly run one over which was playing in the road with a few of the reared pheasants.Anyway got into position to ambush any foolish enough to arrive and was rewarded after 45 minutes with a noise behind me so I slowly looked round to see a hare snuffling about,came up to about 6 feet away and still didn't spot me,fantastic sight,it trotted off and after a while the desired greys came along,came from behind me towards the oaks but I couldn't get a shot,tbh its really difficult terrain with lots of brash and branches,so I had to bide my time,watched it swing round and go along the hedge line to the tree,still no opportunity,it started climbing and then there was two!watched them playing tag around and around the trunk until one stopped a little to long and took the shot,down it went which started the other one barking,but it stayed out of danger and disapeared,so got a female but the fella got away.Decided to have a mooch through the wood and got another that was daft enough to sit on a branch after I had spooked it on the ground.Saw another with the FLIR but no shot was on.So two females shot and three for another day.

Sounds like a good morning. 

I went out this afternoon for a change instead of waiting for it to come light.

I had two hours but all I saw was a tail! Three empty feeders and the squirrels have been seen on them but two have to come down next week.

Still got till the weekend to hopefully get a few.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Sounds like a good morning. 

I went out this afternoon for a change instead of waiting for it to come light.

I had two hours but all I saw was a tail! Three empty feeders and the squirrels have been seen on them but two have to come down next week.

Still got till the weekend to hopefully get a few.

Should be a dry frosty morning tomorrow. Let’s hope they come down for you. 👍

So I tried a new attack yesterday and went out in the afternoon, I found 3 almost empty feeders and saw a squirrels tail going up a tree!

Never mind, finished work this morning home for a brew and crumpet waiting for the light. On site for 7:15 probably talking till nearly 8 but not to worry, these things make the world go round ;)

Got set up by the first feeder and thought right I'll give it an hour, I've probably been being a little impatient knowing I've got plenty of other areas to go at.

15 minutes later a HUGE squirrel appeared from over my left shoulder along the ground and straight up onto the feeder, settled straight away munch munch.
I took my time watching it, it's only bird seed so it wasn't going to sit up with a nut, PFFT whack flop, slightly different angle to the other day, no whack on the feeder or exit wound, but a big girl.
20201126_082405.jpg
Shooting this position next week will be awkward to say the least which is a shame, as I got up I spooked another squirrel making it's way over the road, but I know now where they cross after seeing another later so I can position myself better in the future.

To say visibility was bad is an understatement, the fog just seemed to be sat going nowhere, there was nothing at the second feeder but the third had plenty of birds like feeder 1, I think a squirrel slunk off as I approached but I wasn't a 100%.

I gave it ten minutes then carried on, one appeared out of nowhere we looked at each other then it was off, 200 yard sprint past one group of trees to another, they've done that a lot here, they avoid small groups of trees and head for thicker cover?

I carried on, despite the gloom it was a nice morning, the walk had warmed up my feet(thermal socks time ) and it was eerily quiet, except for a chainsaw in the distance.

Heading for feeder 4 there is a thin strip of pines two or three wide which goes for a few hundred yards until it thickens up and spreads out, and there was a squirrel on the deck doing what squirrels do, we played cat and mouse for probably a 150 yards as it mooched along, wouldn't sit still as it hadn't found anything it wanted, I followed along patiently keeping a tree between us before moving up, it moved out of the trees, out of sight and vanished :eek::eek: before sitting up nicely in a bunker! On the sticks probably 30mtrs PFFT whack and number two down, perfect backstop as well
20201126_183612.jpg
Another big girl, I thought she was pregnant but just big, she was left for the buzzard, but not in the sand.
I saw one other squirrel before I left near feeder 1, I had expected it to be like shooting fish in a barrel but 8 for the month isn't too bad and I've still got Saturday to go before the hordes return next week.

Mice, great report as always. Have you changed your method of posting photos? I haven’t been able to open the photos on the last couple of posts.

This morning, I had another quick raid on my local park before there were too many joggers and dog walkers.

As soon as I entered through the park gates, I saw a pair of greys chasing each other in an old oak. I can’t shoot them as I am in the open so have to creep into the copse. By then they are in a Scots pine, I can see them with the thermal but not through the scope. I move a little closer and they’ve gone. Further thermaling reveals they are in a small drey, so I leave them for another day.

A minute later, I spot another in a crook of a branch. Up with the Daystate which I rest against a trunk (I normally use sticks), I set the scope to 20 yds aim for the top of the head and thwack- I’ve missed! The squirrel looked confused and ran 5 paces and stopped, pssst that was enough, there was a solid slap and she was dead on the ground and not a twitch.

Quickly, picking it up, I move on a few yards and spot another hugging the trunk, I can’t see the head and there is no back stop. I skirt round and so does the grey. I have played this game too often before, so I move off, intending to check the tree out on my return.

The copse is only small and sparse and I was back within minutes, and the grey was now in full view in another crook. Leaning the .177 against another trunk, there was another solid slap of the pellet and the grey was down, perfect headshot. Both females, though one was juvenile for a change. I will be back in a few days for the two in the drey.

C297722B-11DA-463C-B251-849CB6708085.jpeg.1d8548c92b5df1f461186f0903c00e9e.jpegD

Great reports fellas. They are in very short supply down here on my areas but my wife taunts me by reporting for or five running across the lane into a small wood owned by the private school and used frequently as an outdoor classromm so no chance there.  Hoping that December sees less of them eating natural stuff and coming to the feeders but there is still tons on the ground.  Only one of my flip tops has been used and I have shot four off that in a week and that has gone very quiet on the camera since. 

4 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Mice, great report as always. Have you changed your method of posting photos? I haven’t been able to open the photos on the last couple of posts.

I have mate, I've been copying the post across from Agf, I didn't realise the pictures couldn't be opened. But it doesn't work going back the other way.

20201126_082405.jpg.cdbd2d4b04616c303c94dacab1b0c634.jpg20201126_183612.jpg.2b2c3add920dc5ef1e315e2a3e2ead57.jpg

20201125_173049.jpg.346dd2fd8289023a2c35bec2044e48f2.jpg

Thursday's big girls and the quick feeder,

20201119_182619.jpg.fe476226b3cfceafb18d9771b49343ca.jpg

Bloodied feeder, I'm going to flip the Aluminium and put a hinged perspex lid on them, but I do like watching the birds on them.

20201119_182604.jpg.d3a0edf77b19b028b91e31275cc74246.jpg

And the latest chewed up feeder, and yet they haven't touched the others?

Hopefully more tomorrow 👍

That is why mine are metal.  Yep and agree on the watching the bird life. On one or two of my close up feeders(air rifle) at about 5yrds I regularly have birds settle on the moderator sticking out of the window as I have a wide shelf just inside across the front which the S200 with it's square stock sits on just waiting for customers. It also doubles for my coffe mug and biscuits.