Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, old man said:

Grey squirrel group on standby.....but we can't do anything without the permissions.

Seemingly lots of people here don't give a fig about the Reds returning but seem to love the Greys and raise opposition in public all of the time. The politicos do what they do best and run scared of any controversial decisions with regard to management issues?

It's the same most places that don't already have red squirrels. 

I was actually surprised to see what they had written about the greys doing damage to trees and birds.

Get yourself round for a quiet chat 👍

3 hours ago, ratchers said:

Well I was out in the wood this frosty morning and I should have stayed in bed, just like all the wildlife must have done,absolutely nothing about, no greys, no pigeons, no crows, no magpies, did see the local buzzard flying about and heard the noisy jays, we'll just try again another day.

Was there a cold east wind blowing? That's the thing this time of year, it's cold, wet, dark and windy.

If you have a feeder up its worthwhile getting a camera on it to tell you what time the squirrels are coming,  then you can have a lie in.

I stayed in bed a little too long today but managed to get out today with the .410 to two woods. I put another feeder out and saw at least 4 greys but couldn’t get anywhere near them and didn’t have a shot. 

It was the first time I felt I needed a rifle or fac. They were all singles sitting quietly watching and all with backstops . None of this chasing the ladies in the canopy. As usual they were very wary. 

15 hours ago, Mice! said:

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/greedy-fat-squirrels-risk-destroying-4907499

If it wasn't shocking it would be funny, especially as there is supposed to be a red squirrel group in Staffordshire. 

There is a Squirrel group in Staffordshire, but like most Wildlife Trusts, the WT will not get involved with Grey Control, even though they are signatories to the UK Squirrel Accord. Maybe some local folk could rattle their cage 

11 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

There is a Squirrel group in Staffordshire, but like most Wildlife Trusts, the WT will not get involved with Grey Control, even though they are signatories to the UK Squirrel Accord. Maybe some local folk could rattle their cage 

Seemingly they are immune. At one location here they were happy to allow a terrapin to dominate a pool, the result over time..... no native wildlife? Go figure their attitude to Wildlife?

the management of wildlife trusts are becoming a menace to the countryside, their rangers on the other hand tend to be good sorts who are highly frustrated at not being able to control 'cute' squirrels which are seen as a fund raiser - they would have thousands more paying supporters from the shooting community if they did the job right.

I can understand them tolerating roe deer as these are indiginous but not foreign invasive species such as greys or muntjac.

back to greys

I have put some straw around the tables which have the squirrel traps on, along with a few handfuls of wheat. This has interested the pheasants which has in turn attracted the squirrels. When alarmed they head up to the nearest cover - the table with the live traps on. Looks like it is going to be more successful than the peanut feeders which remain untouched in nearly a month.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Looks like it is going to be more successful than the peanut feeders which remain untouched in nearly a month.

That seems strange? I've got a feeder being hammered with mostly cheap B&M seed in it.

I'd have thought they would be on the peanuts by now.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

That seems strange? I've got a feeder being hammered with mostly cheap B&M seed in it.

I'd have thought they would be on the peanuts by now.

Its the same on mine though when I went and checked the one in the big wood there has been a gray on it twice in two weeks. This week it was actually feeding from it so possibly they will start to use it more now they no there's free food 🤔 

31 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Its the same on mine though when I went and checked the one in the big wood there has been a gray on it twice in two weeks. This week it was actually feeding from it so possibly they will start to use it more now they no there's free food 🤔 

I went and got my camera yesterday about 5pm, went up Thursday evening last week, set for 1 picture and ten second video every 10 minutes.

Feeder was almost empty 200 pictures and 200 videos,  squirrels 8-10am busy, 1-3 squirrels and the first time I've seen two squirrels together with there heads in the feeder.

10-12 second  then 14-16, the rate its going I'm glad it's not nuts.

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I went and got my camera yesterday about 5pm, went up Thursday evening last week, set for 1 picture and ten second video every 10 minutes.

Feeder was almost empty 200 pictures and 200 videos,  squirrels 8-10am busy, 1-3 squirrels and the first time I've seen two squirrels together with there heads in the feeder.

10-12 second  then 14-16, the rate its going I'm glad it's not nuts.

Sounds like you need a morning at the feeder especially when there feeding so frequently 😁 

It would cost you a fortune if it was nuts 😂 the small wood I have been putting a mixture of sunflower hearts mixed corn and peanuts and its always wheat being left mainly birds that though I think as its the same in the bird feeders at home they just throw the wheat on the ground and pick the bits they want little ******* 😂

Bug ers

18 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Sounds like you need a morning at the feeder especially when there feeding so frequently 😁 

Certainly do, the Mrs had a covid test though today otherwise I'd have been out first thing.

She's done a home test from her school this afternoon which was negative,  as soon as she gets the all clear from the nhs I'm straight out. 

The greys are starting to feed on my feeders but it’s either too cold, wet, sleet, snow or just too miserable for me to sit it out.

Or am I just getting old?

Hopefully, if I keep them topped up, they’ll draw more in and I can have a decent morning when it warms up a bit.

I'm getting attention at one feeder and nothing at another and both have proved positive in the past. Don't know it is because they just are not there anymore but cannot believe more have not moved in.  Putting the cameras out again this week when it decides to stop raining.   I might have to regroup on one wood where the owners have just sold up and the new owners are big into animal sancturies.  I can set up a flip tops on hedgerow trees very close to the wood so it may still work but means I have further to walk to get there.

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

Hopefully, if I keep them topped up, they’ll draw more in and I can have a decent morning when it warms up a bit.

It can't hurt mate, going through the images on my camera I've got multiple squirrels on the feeder, squirrel in the feeder with another trying to get in, squirrels chasing up/down the tree, and on the tree with the camera on it scratching at it, then others on the ground. 

I can't see directly below the feeder with the angle but there could be more eating the spillage, it's been three weeks tomorrow keeping it filled up with just the one shot, I'll be up and ready waiting for a msg off the Mrs 😉

Typical,  I couldn't get out yesterday and the weather was perfect,  the Mrs got the all clear this morning so I can go out and its raining,  it had rained most of the night and didn't look like stopping,  but I had a cunning plan.

20210128_161007.jpg.17b9c395eb14059e7f4d0c49a8c86544.jpg

I bought this before xmas,  it's a cheap fishing brolley but with a skirt round the sides, so I'm not silhouetted,  then added a camo net 

20210128_160933.jpg.27ebaee228d51f2d1e7734e14b7c6b9d.jpg

20210128_160850.jpg.5b0997362afb4efa5f04c62067c754ee.jpg

20210128_160906.jpg.b01135c2b30a985108c99f4968f72831.jpg

Happy days, I'm not sat in the rain which means I don't mind waiting. 

The first squirrel was on the feeder within 5 minutes,  it was up above the feeder probably watching me set up, as soon as I was out of sight it was straight down and lifting the lid, Pfft whack one down. 

It Landed on it's back so I went and moved it, back out of sight and maybe half an hour there is another, but it's just sitting up above the feeder, it's one of those wet mornings where nothing wants to move, no birds moving or calling everything just hunkered down wanting the rain to stop.

All I can hear is rain, drip drip splosh,  its been ten minutes and the squirrel hasn't moved, so I shot it Pfft whack thump, it had moved slightly showing its head which was a mistake. Number 2 down. 

That one fell in the brambles behind the feeder so I left it,  maybe another half an hour and I spot one on the deck, there is a pile of wheat that the squirrels have thrown out and it was happily eating that, typically there were a couple of branches in the way that I hadn't cleared( I have now) but it very obligingly moved over, head down facing me, it didn't look like it was going anywhere near the feeder so I took that one through the top of the head Pfft whack just rolled over.

Time to stretch the legs and move the pair,  the one off the deck was a small female with something all over her, like sores or mange but not, the other was a male and he was big the photo doesn't do him justice. 

20210128_160947.jpg.15eb699aa5df30774c504129e2d38a0d.jpg

It was still raining plus everthing was dripping, I was wondering what were the chances of any more given the weather but thought I'd give it till mid day but time for a break.

20210128_160827.jpg.65117d7c79660cf8f93794b52ad1045f.jpg

3 squirrels down so I figured I'd earned a kit kat 😀 no brew though!!

Another came along and went straight up onto the feeder, no hesitation or messing,  I let it start feeding then took the shot, but it must have moved, instead of dropping it jumped off the feeder, I was straight out looking for it and spotted it up a tree, I put another pellet in it and it dropped but got hung up, I put two more in it but it wasn't coming down. 

20210128_161022.jpg.68598293e6074eff4dc025bed02f6b32.jpg

I'm sure something will bring it down over the weekend,  so four in two and a half hours. I decided to call it a day, pretty sure that me trying to get the last one down would have disturbed everything.

Packed everything away and topped the feeder back up, my gun was soaked in the time I'd spent sorting the fourth, and it was still raining that fine nasty stuff.

A wet but good morning out.

The other feeders were both empty so I'll look at those next week.

And I called at my other big feeder on my way home and that was almost empty,  just need some drier weather to catch up with them.

Well done for going out this morning and getting a respectable bag as well.

The fishing umbrella looks a very good idea and must be  easier to put up and take down  than a pop up tent.

The bigger feeders seem to be the way forward, when shooting is so weather dependant.

Looking forward to next weeks installment.👍

34 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Typical,  I couldn't get out yesterday and the weather was perfect,  the Mrs got the all clear this morning so I can go out and its raining,  it had rained most of the night and didn't look like stopping,  but I had a cunning plan.

20210128_161007.jpg.17b9c395eb14059e7f4d0c49a8c86544.jpg

I bought this before xmas,  it's a cheap fishing brolley but with a skirt round the sides, so I'm not silhouetted,  then added a camo net 

20210128_160933.jpg.27ebaee228d51f2d1e7734e14b7c6b9d.jpg

20210128_160850.jpg.5b0997362afb4efa5f04c62067c754ee.jpg

20210128_160906.jpg.b01135c2b30a985108c99f4968f72831.jpg

Happy days, I'm not sat in the rain which means I don't mind waiting. 

The first squirrel was on the feeder within 5 minutes,  it was up above the feeder probably watching me set up, as soon as I was out of sight it was straight down and lifting the lid, Pfft whack one down. 

It Landed on it's back so I went and moved it, back out of sight and maybe half an hour there is another, but it's just sitting up above the feeder, it's one of those wet mornings where nothing wants to move, no birds moving or calling everything just hunkered down wanting the rain to stop.

All I can hear is rain, drip drip splosh,  its been ten minutes and the squirrel hasn't moved, so I shot it Pfft whack thump, it had moved slightly showing its head which was a mistake. Number 2 down. 

That one fell in the brambles behind the feeder so I left it,  maybe another half an hour and I spot one on the deck, there is a pile of wheat that the squirrels have thrown out and it was happily eating that, typically there were a couple of branches in the way that I hadn't cleared( I have now) but it very obligingly moved over, head down facing me, it didn't look like it was going anywhere near the feeder so I took that one through the top of the head Pfft whack just rolled over.

Time to stretch the legs and move the pair,  the one off the deck was a small female with something all over her, like sores or mange but not, the other was a male and he was big the photo doesn't do him justice. 

20210128_160947.jpg.15eb699aa5df30774c504129e2d38a0d.jpg

It was still raining plus everthing was dripping, I was wondering what were the chances of any more given the weather but thought I'd give it till mid day but time for a break.

20210128_160827.jpg.65117d7c79660cf8f93794b52ad1045f.jpg

3 squirrels down so I figured I'd earned a kit kat 😀 no brew though!!

Another came along and went straight up onto the feeder, no hesitation or messing,  I let it start feeding then took the shot, but it must have moved, instead of dropping it jumped off the feeder, I was straight out looking for it and spotted it up a tree, I put another pellet in it and it dropped but got hung up, I put two more in it but it wasn't coming down. 

20210128_161022.jpg.68598293e6074eff4dc025bed02f6b32.jpg

I'm sure something will bring it down over the weekend,  so four in two and a half hours. I decided to call it a day, pretty sure that me trying to get the last one down would have disturbed everything.

Packed everything away and topped the feeder back up, my gun was soaked in the time I'd spent sorting the fourth, and it was still raining that fine nasty stuff.

A wet but good morning out.

The other feeders were both empty so I'll look at those next week.

And I called at my other big feeder on my way home and that was almost empty,  just need some drier weather to catch up with them.

Sounds like a good morning mate camera definitely paid off 👍

15 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Well done for going out this morning and getting a respectable bag as well.

The fishing umbrella looks a very good idea and must be  easier to put up and take down  than a pop up tent.

The bigger feeders seem to be the way forward, when shooting is so weather dependant.

Looking forward to next weeks installment.👍

Cheers mate,

I had to get out, they've been enjoying themselves for three weeks.

I've looked at the pop ups but there not cheap, this looked like a good idea, I'm having some pallets dropped off so I'm not sat on the floor, so should be more comfortable.

I need to know the feeder is going to stay full for the week, it was already quite low and I filled it Tuesday. But there's four less eating feed now.

The thermal came in handy today,  I could use it through the camo netting,  its wasn't great weather for it but the squirrels were showing up well enough to keep me out of sight, and that's how I spotted the one I winged. 

24 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Sounds like a good morning mate camera definitely paid off 👍

You can tell there on the feeders by the feed going but the camera takes the guess work out that's for sure, and you just never know what you might see 👍

It was nice and dull yesterday and a sweltering 6degrees, perfect thermal weather, so I took the .410 out for a walk around a couple of woods. What a disappointment. All I saw was a very red red, both feeders had been hammered but didn’t see any greys. I returned to the 1st feeder to refill it and a grey jumped off and stopped halfway up a tree. Big mistake and even I couldn’t miss!

Out again  first thing this morning to our local park with .177 and my new Primos trigger sticks bought from @spready.- great bit of kit. The thermal picked a single grey in a large oak. A quick squeeze of the trigger sticks and the gun was at the right height and it was a simple job to line up the scope and down came a large male.

D1380F06-AE55-4C6D-B45F-713779DE5500.jpeg.0e8385da614d9c8901d5bb28d87decab.jpeg

The park was beginning  to fill up with dog walkers so I drove back to the wood where I shot yesterdays grey. It was very quiet and there was a very cold east wind blowing. The nuthatches, tits and treecreepers were very busy raiding the feeder and eventually a woodpecker joined them. After about an hour, I was getting cold and when the mountain bikers turned up, I had had enough and went home for coffee and toast!

2 Greys, not a lot to show for two outings, but it was good to get out after this awful weather. Hopefully next week, I will be able to shoot the feeders.

Step in the right direction but the side effects are potentially worrying. For a start, a female will spend up to 13 years damaging woodland whether she breeds or not, then on death the birth control drug will be passed on to anything that eats the body, BOP etc. It does appear strange that owners of a woodland are not  forced to carry out vermin control as landowners are - if I owned 50 acres of arable land and Rabbits from my land were destroying a neighbours crops, then I would be responsible so why are those who own woodlands not liable for damage caused by Squirrels that use large woods as breeding hubs?  

Edited by bruno22rf