• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, old man said:

What about Brock and Fred?

It would be IMHO, a very brave Council or organisation that allowed that stuff on any area that the public had access to? Imagine children being affected? I hope they have very deep pockets.

Really not thought out for the end user at all?

I know Brock, but who is Fred? - I have led a sheltered life!

I don’t think any Council would have to be brave to do this. They have pest control departments and  we are all used to seeing rodent bait boxes around car parks and industrial estates etc. I think it will be more of a problem getting them to spend the money to do this.

The squirrel bait boxes would have to be vandal proof to stop people messing about with the calibration and will probably fixed well out of reach up trees etc.

9 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:
there has been a squirrel or two on the feeder everyday since my last visit but at different times. Today was 7.44 yesterday was between 12.45 and 1.23 and the day before that was 5.30pm so looks like I'll have to spend at least half a day there and hopefully they come when I'm there.

I understand your frustration- I have been there many times!

Edited by Sciurus

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Fred the Fox? Reynard surely?

Reynard to us Freddie fox to the younger generation. 

20210203_204147.jpg.e11176d51f262a49a53521310e6ef1ad.jpg

One chunk this morning,  I added a handful of nuts to a feeder on my way home, then when it wasn't raining at half 7 I thought right get out.

It wasn't raining then it did, I got soaked, but I got out 😁

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Wouldn't be suprised if that Squirrel was on his way to weight watchers. You must be over feeding them Mice, before long they will be breaking branches and falling out of the trees. Mind you, you need a big target if your'e going to hunt with an R10 🤗.

Need a solid rifle,  I don't want one that bends everytime you put it down 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Morkin said:

Us R 10 owners have to stick together on this one don't we mice ?It isn't what gun you have it's how you use it. The secret is to spit on the pellets

I blow on them gently 😆😆

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I let the S510 blow on my pellets, pretty much what it was designed for🤠. Not sure about a bendy rifle Mice, besides, once handled you never want to put an AA down!!

I do like the look of the US, as good as the others are they are a little long, haven't seen a 200 yet though, I keep half an eye out for the kids though.

I'm still enjoying the R10 I won't lie, far more than the squirrels are 🤣🤣

I popped out this afternoon,  nearly 5pm when I arrived,  I had put some nuts in my feeder at big wood, I expected them to have all gone, but some still in there, so that confirms it for me, I'll move that feeder somewhere else,  hopefully get a nice stream of fresh squirrels. 

I spotted one skinny squirrel but it went and hid in a holly tree, that's just cheating. 

You most likely forget more every day about squirrel control, Mice, than I'll ever know but is it wise to keep moving feeders? In my experience, even if you hit a feeder hard till you are sure that most squirrels are dealt with, within 2 weeks numbers are back up, assuming you are dealing with a large woodland of course. If you compare that to moving a feeder to a new site, surely it takes a couple of weeks for the blighters to discover the food source and start to visit it regularly?

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You most likely forget more every day about squirrel control, Mice, than I'll ever know but is it wise to keep moving feeders? In my experience, even if you hit a feeder hard till you are sure that most squirrels are dealt with, within 2 weeks numbers are back up, assuming you are dealing with a large woodland of course. If you compare that to moving a feeder to a new site, surely it takes a couple of weeks for the blighters to discover the food source and start to visit it regularly?

Just off to bed fella, I'll give the full tale later 👍

@bruno22rf right then fella.

The feeder in question has performed well, it was put up in June and I'd shot 20 squirrels up till September,  since then it's only had 3 or 4 off it, since the leaves came off it seems very exposed and the food has been going down very slowly. 

It's a cracking spot on the edge of a large public wood, its easy to get to but out the way, nobody goes down where it is just straight past, but seeing the three squirrels further away the other day has made my mind up.

I think I'll put a small feeder in its place and just pop some seed in occasionally,  I'll still have to go past it, then I can move back in when the leaves come through. I haven't had my camera out there lately because it seems so open.

There is a lot of wood to go at, it's just very steep with dog walkers all over the place, I've been meaning to have a good look around and find some more quiet spots, the intention was go up with the family and explore more but with all the restrictions and weather we've not got around to it. 

Certainly seemed strange the squirrels not coming to the easy food,  so I'll take tge food to them and see how it goes. 

That's the plan away. 

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My AA S200 Mk2 is still putting them on the mark. Cannot fault it and neither can the tree rats.

Pretty sure mine's a mk 1 and doing the same, never misses a beat topped with a Milbro clearview 3-9 x32. If they are further away it's an AA S 410 extra that does all I need in air.

Any of my sets which are over 15yrds and I turn to the 22RF, 60plus yards and the 17HMR comes out to play.

I think we all have our favorites and I have been able to shoot a number of other air rifles (PCPs and break barrel) and they have all performed admirably.  I think choice of pellet can be fine tuned.  For the moment for me the AA S200 does the job in spades shooting Mosquitos.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Any of my sets which are over 15yrds and I turn to the 22RF, 60plus yards and the 17HMR comes out to play.

I think we all have our favorites and I have been able to shoot a number of other air rifles (PCPs and break barrel) and they have all performed admirably.  I think choice of pellet can be fine tuned.  For the moment for me the AA S200 does the job in spades shooting Mosquitos.

I use Hades or AA Field in the 200 and just Field so far in the 410.

They are starting to harbour spiders at present.

So Tuesday I shot 4 from one feeder and was pretty certain that was that for a while, as I left the feeder was still near brimming with Wheat. Txt this evening - feeder empty! as are 3 more within a couple of hundred yards and one more 75% empty at the far end of the wood!! All 3 woodlands checked today revealed heavy use on the feeders.Looks like decorating is going to have to wait a while.