Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 14/06/2021 at 13:24, mick.c said:

I didn't know they had stopped shooting at MSW ...........................................................

I wonder who's fault that was....🤔🤔🤔

Lockdown, change in management and the place is crawling with public, from daybreak to dusk. Crawling with Greys now.

Have you given up on the Greys now, not seen any posts from you for ages.

Edited by Fisheruk

Wow, some good days out yesterday.

Yesterday was good for me as well.

I was standing in the remains of an old arboretum at 7am, thermalling a grey, when I saw out of the corner of my eye,2 lab pups running towards me. Drat- The public have arrived 3 hours early-grrrr!

I looked again and there were twin roe fawns, less than a week old, with mum looking anxious behind them.

5A518C43-5AA4-4A5F-83BA-682C7E653E98.jpeg.c81473bd6e31e20f71f19050f3c20ed5.jpeg

I was able to take this photo, before they quietly slipped away.

The grey was long gone. As I walked in the pastures between woods, I kept getting strange readings, not sheep but single fawns in nearly every field, lying in the bracken or reeds, every now again sticking their head up like kangaroos! I must have seen six on top of the original twins.

By 8 am, there were joggers and cyclists everywhere and the spell of that beautiful moment was broken, but will be remembered for a long time.

We did however managed to shoot two youngsters, scratting about the fallen leaves, but the adult greys were not hanging about!

2DC07926-69CA-4AD9-B48B-750CDD84085F.jpeg

15 hours ago, old man said:

Arrived at 6.55 this morning to see 2 squizzers on the feeder tree, they soon headed for the canopy as I made my way to my shaded tree seating area enhanced with a bit of dead wood from the floor.

5 minutes later a kit decided to come down to be greeted by the AA S200 and an AA field. There was lots of kiss chase activity from pairs who paid the price of needing a snack. A favourite route into the feeder is via a telegraph pole visible through the canopy about 40 yards away to the left. Another is along a fence top coming from the right. Other than 1 which flipped into brambles and nettles the others were all recovered. Tally was 1 sow kitt, 4 old boars and 5 sows one of which was lactating.

Should have been 12 if I hadn't moved a bit quick for the last one.  A 4 and a half hour very productive session. One feeder had the base gnawed out so needs repair, a small price to pay.

Very pleased with my choice of location.

Nice one.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one.

Thanks, will be out early tomorrow to try to beat it.

Thankfully not much disturbance here, just an odd few walkers and joggers who are blissfully unaware of me 20 feet away. Damaged feeder repaired ready for action, just need to keep them coming?

Another two this morning,  I arrived an hour earlier than normal, there have been squirrels on the feeder each time I arrive but today there luck ran out.

20210616_182010.jpg.4efd3245856b8cac4cd8ed5aee41a516.jpg

Wierd dull morning today, I only saw these two, nothing else moving. 

I took a walk and checked a small feeder I put up a while back, surprisingly its remained untouched. 

20210616_181926.jpg.29243cefbdb9d71ccefc4530271eb5ca.jpg

20210616_181944.jpg.d0532570ef7fdeb26249941af048386b.jpg

Moved it to a new position,  see if it gets any visitors, it's got a bit more canopy around it where it is now so we'll see. 

Lovely sunny morning and it was great to get in to the wood, disturbed a grey off the feeder on arrival but hoped it would come back and it did half an hour later, one down. Only five minutes later I heard claws on bark and saw two running around the branches, took a while but one eventually settled straight on to the box and number two was down. Went quiet for a while with both a crow and a buzzard swooping overhead but neither landed, spotted a third grey coming down a nearby tree and he couldn't resist the lure of the feeder so a good morning with three less greys, According to the shooting sydicate its been at least twelve years since the last red was seen in this wood, I'm optimistic that with all the greys I've shot there should be room for some reds to move in. Please!

A local farmer reported seeing a family of greys running along a dry stone in a remote area with very few greys but the odd red.

Yesterday, I put 4 traps out along the wall with no prebaiting and blow me, this morning, there were 4 in the traps and another trying to get in!

1F0A6A31-4967-452B-8BB5-0E187219A513.jpeg.c1679130fba5da481aa548e2d1b53fcc.jpeg

2 adult males and 2 young males. So there must be 2 families. I have put a fifth trap down and see what tomorrow brings. It’s a lovely spot but at least a mile from the road.

Out again this morning. Sitting by 06.50. First customer at 07.20. Then another 4 by 08.30. The last 2 dawdled at intervals of an hour till 10.30. All over by midday.

6 recovered, all old boars. 1 left for the night shift to root out of the brambles. 

Happy days whacking and stacking. 

1 hour ago, old man said:

Out again this morning. Sitting by 06.50. First customer at 07.20. Then another 4 by 08.30. The last 2 dawdled at intervals of an hour till 10.30. All over by midday.

6 recovered, all old boars. 1 left for the night shift to root out of the brambles. 

Your having a beano of a time.  I have noticed a lot of activity this last two weeks.

4 hours ago, ratchers said:

According to the shooting sydicate its been at least twelve years since the last red was seen in this wood, I'm optimistic that with all the greys I've shot there should be room for some reds to move in. Please!

Good work, imagine how great it will be when a red turns up one morning thanks to your hard work 👍

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

So there must be 2 families. I have put a fifth trap down and see what tomorrow brings. It’s a lovely spot but at least a mile from the road.

Great that the farmer reported them, and a great result with the traps, I hope he dropped the traps off for you?

1 hour ago, old man said:

Another busy morning well done.

I went back to the feeder I shot Tuesday,  I wanted to check the camera, only a few shots of squirrels going past the trees with damage heading for the feeder.

20210617_100927.jpg.8005ea1305c80d5b53a4890800dd851b.jpg

Might have been these two? Both bucks but the one on the right was huge.

Will be a tester for me to see how far they will travel to feed and fill the spaces of the ones removed so far? The present wood is about 15 acres but they seem not too bothered about having to cross 100 yards of open park land? Next week may tell? Interestingly not shooting many sows?

42 minutes ago, old man said:

Will be a tester for me to see how far they will travel to feed and fill the spaces of the ones removed so far? The present wood is about 15 acres but they seem not too bothered about having to cross 100 yards of open park land? Next week may tell? Interestingly not shooting many sows?

I'm about 50/50 this month male/female 

And 100 yards is nothing really if they know there is food waiting,  so long as your feeders don't run empty they'll keep coming, until August anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I'm about 50/50 this month male/female 

And 100 yards is nothing really if they know there is food waiting,  so long as your feeders don't run empty they'll keep coming, until August anyway. 

Time will tell bud? Certainly the feeders will be kept topped up. I have been given another wood of similar size for the future, will scope out when able. The woods seem to be relatively left to their own devices due to some difficult..ish terrain so plenty of choice depending on lung power.

2 hours ago, old man said:

Time will tell bud? Certainly the feeders will be kept topped up. I have been given another wood of similar size for the future, will scope out when able. The woods seem to be relatively left to their own devices due to some difficult..ish terrain so plenty of choice depending on lung power.

I'm like this at big wood, it's far easier getting to the feeder at the bottom than the top, I was dripping last week.

Out into a wood at 6.15 this morning a squirrel on the feeder as I arrived. Settled into the hide and it was back within 5 minutes. Another at 6.45. Then a wait until 7.30. Went and collected them all mature 2m and 1f. 
Back to the hide to pack up. Gun unloaded and just about to put it in the bag. Noticed some movement and saw another on the feeder. Quick reload and on with the veil and gloves. Steady aim and the fourth dropped off. Another mature male. 

B141A2CC-BB56-4BED-9502-17379618E707.jpeg

ADE11AEC-9D62-4B20-A528-901715365A9B.jpeg

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have four sites sitting unvisited at the moment due to a) the Landie is not well and b) I have had gout in my right hand for five days. It is now slowly easing so hope to be out and about again soon. Two feeders where cleaned out so looks promising. 

I feel you pain?

6 hours ago, old man said:

I feel you pain?

Fortunately, although my right hand, it did not get to my trigger finger.  It was, as you suggest, a severe pain for a couple of days. Should be back at it next week.  Unfortunately cannit get the Landie looked until 1st July but all of my tree rat stands are walkable.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Fortunately, although my right hand, it did not get to my trigger finger.  It was, as you suggest, a severe pain for a couple of days. Should be back at it next week.  Unfortunately cannit get the Landie looked until 1st July but all of my tree rat stands are walkable.

Not too bad then, meantime enjoy the peacock calls?

The maize and seed mixture with aniseed is really pulling them in. 6 this morning. All between 7 and 8. At one time there were 3 all chasing each other around. I shot all three within a couple of minutes. Two of those three must have seen and heard the the others being shot and it seems incredible that they are not bothered by dead cousins lying all around.

07150184-0CC9-4127-A5AB-08774150C7BF.jpeg

4935562B-6087-4DF6-9341-3A8FF9671082.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

9 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The maize and seed mixture with aniseed is really pulling them in. 6 this morning. All between 7 and 8. At one time there were 3 all chasing each other around. I shot all three within a couple of minutes. Two of those three must have seen and heard the the others being shot and it seems incredible that they are not bothered by dead cousins lying all around.

07150184-0CC9-4127-A5AB-08774150C7BF.jpeg

4935562B-6087-4DF6-9341-3A8FF9671082.jpeg

What aniseed do you use?