Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I will be honest I have not trawled through 60 odd pages please forgive me but I have just put two feeders out a few days ago  with peanuts in. What do you use?

How rude 😅😅 nothing wrong with peanuts,  but I don't think they smell as much as some other feeds, but once they know they are there.

Feed the birds as well as they will attract the squirrels 👍

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

How rude 😅😅 nothing wrong with peanuts,  but I don't think they smell as much as some other feeds, but once they know they are there.

Feed the birds as well as they will attract the squirrels 👍

Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, Martlandhw100 said:

I just feed peanuts with a cap full of Aniseed oil works a treat 😁

Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Just what the pheasants are fed on each person will have their own mix , sunflower seeds , grain , etc 

Thanks 👍

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I will be honest I have not trawled through 60 odd pages please forgive me but I have just put two feeders out a few days ago  with peanuts in. What do you use?

I'm fortunate as I have a cement mixer standing idle in the shed so I tip a full bag of whole maize in there, add a small bucket of peanuts and a small bucket of mixed bird seed. Pour a botle of cheap cooking oil over it and give it all a good mix then I throw in a couple of scoops of GameKeep additive which gives it a real smell. Mix it all for a few minutes and it is ready to go.   All of my feeders are metal flip tops which they soon learn to use.  My hides are also permanent in position made from IBC frames and the plastic liners with camo thrown over the top.  I do have four purpose built wooden cabins in my own wood.   The IBCs are very easy to move if you have a trailer.  I am pretty certain that an additive does draw them.

003.jpg

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I'm fortunate as I have a cement mixer standing idle in the shed so I tip a full bag of whole maize in there, add a small bucket of peanuts and a small bucket of mixed bird seed. Pour a botle of cheap cooking oil over it and give it all a good mix then I throw in a couple of scoops of GameKeep additive which gives it a real smell. Mix it all for a few minutes and it is ready to go.   All of my feeders are metal flip tops which they soon learn to use.  My hides are also permanent in position made from IBC frames and the plastic liners with camo thrown over the top.  I do have four purpose built wooden cabins in my own wood.   The IBCs are very easy to move if you have a trailer.  I am pretty certain that an additive does draw them.

003.jpg

Cement mixer??? That's industrial scale🤣

I just got a two quid bag of peanuts off the market for starters.  I'm going to have to up my game 😏😏

If you have an open hopper 2 kg will disapear in no time, especially in the winter, far better having a lifting lid type feeder or ones like walker has with feeding holes to attract the smaller birds which in turn attracts the greys, good luck 👍

4 minutes ago, ratchers said:

If you have an open hopper 2 kg will disapear in no time, especially in the winter, far better having a lifting lid type feeder or ones like walker has with feeding holes to attract the smaller birds which in turn attracts the greys, good luck 👍

I have some wood and hopefully going to make a couple of "lifting lid" type tomorrow. 👍

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have some wood and hopefully going to make a couple of "lifting lid" type tomorrow. 👍

Something like this.

Screenshot_20210723-204650_Drive.jpg

18 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Cement mixer??? That's industrial scale🤣

I just got a two quid bag of peanuts off the market for starters.  I'm going to have to up my game 😏😏

Well I have eleven feeders local and another four 70 miles away which need keeping topped up hence that feeder with the large hopper for the distant woods.

See if you can locate a supply of GameKeep additive and add that to your peanuts. Pity your not closer you could have a scoop to try.

Slightly off key on GameKeep , a friend has taken some into a high seat with him and on a breezy day just sprinkled a small amount into the breeze.  He says it drives munties mad, they love it.

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well I have eleven feeders local and another four 70 miles away which need keeping topped up hence that feeder with the large hopper for the distant woods.

See if you can locate a supply of GameKeep additive and add that to your peanuts. Pity your not closer you could have a scoop to try.

Slightly off key on GameKeep , a friend has taken some into a high seat with him and on a breezy day just sprinkled a small amount into the breeze.  He says it drives munties mad, they love it.

Thanks for your advice 👍 

On 23/07/2021 at 18:17, harrycatcat1 said:

Straight peanuts can be quite expensive to maintain, as said a mixture cheaper?

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Anyone shoot them in the evening,? As I’m on early shift next week only time to get back on them will be in the evening is it as productive? I know everything has to eat 

Plenty of folk post about afternoon and evening sessions,  i had three camera's up last week, morning is the busiest but still squirrels coming through the afternoon until dark.

6 hours ago, sam triple said:

Anyone shoot them in the evening,? As I’m on early shift next week only time to get back on them will be in the evening is it as productive? I know everything has to eat 

Only the tree rats know when they will appear?

I once had 15 total blanks over a 19 week period?

Go figure?

Thought I’d try an evening on the squirrels, 10 mins after getting there thunderstorm, just about to leave again it poured with rain for 3/4 hour ( at least the hide was water tight ) it eventually stopped a few birds started to visit the feeder , then I spy a squirrel all of sudden it’s sits up on its hind legs then bolts up the tree , then appears the reason why mr fox , it then starts to chow down on the spilt food for a good 20 minutes I watch it oblivious to me being there and with out a care in the world , my mate will be up there this evening to meet him ! 

77CEBE0A-7FAE-49C6-AAA2-95113DB78D30.jpeg

7FF6157E-05D2-4217-B227-D122A4111E66.jpeg

9 hours ago, ratchers said:

Thats a mighty impressive tree you have the feeder on, massive!

I always think that 😄😄

13 hours ago, sam triple said:

my mate will be up there this evening to meet him ! 

I'll bet your mate is met by three squirrels giving him the bird 😅😅