squirrel control

Mice!

Well I was down on the farm permission for the first time in ages due to various things. Saw the farmer and chewed the cud for a while before heading off, I could tell it hadn't been shot for a while as there was hoards of covids helping themselves,but back to that later. Off out in to the wood where I ambled slowly through until I got to the far end where there are few oaks and expected activity and sure enough saw a flash of grey, never saw where it went but could hear it barking and it made the mistake of moving after about five minutes, so I tracked through the branches until it offered a body shot, it took a while for it to drop so I thought it must have been winged but drop it did, stone dead, and with it dropping down it startled another grey to move, only 10 yards away and it to made the mistake of stopping, it dropped but needed a follow up shot, both this years kits which probably explained their inexperience, too late now.

Back to the farm and got a couple of crows eating the cow feed.

A lovely warm day out in the countryside and can't wait to go back although the forecast is rather damp from now on.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sitting again by 07.30 first morning seeing breath coming from my mask.

No food gone from feeders and plain silly tracking around as they do but further away from my target area?

1 paused from playing kiss chase at 30 yards in the trees. Fell like a stone into the brambles after an AA kiss. Others never paused in the open. Still more to he taken.

At least no real rain.

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

Well I was down on the farm permission for the first time in ages due to various things. Saw the farmer and chewed the cud for a while before heading off, I could tell it hadn't been shot for a while as there was hoards of covids helping themselves,but back to that later. Off out in to the wood where I ambled slowly through until I got to the far end where there are few oaks and expected activity and sure enough saw a flash of grey, never saw where it went but could hear it barking and it made the mistake of moving after about five minutes, so I tracked through the branches until it offered a body shot, it took a while for it to drop so I thought it must have been winged but drop it did, stone dead, and with it dropping down it startled another grey to move, only 10 yards away and it to made the mistake of stopping, it dropped but needed a follow up shot, both this years kits which probably explained their inexperience, too late now.

Back to the farm and got a couple of crows eating the cow feed.

A lovely warm day out in the countryside and can't wait to go back although the forecast is rather damp from now on.

Very nice.

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

23 minutes ago, old man said:

At least no real rain.

Well in Cumbria it rained all through the night and has stopped occasionally today. 

I popped out and filled a feeder this morning but the rifle stayed in the car, I was in and out with the heavy wet stuff starting again , I'm daft but not that daft, hopefully drier tomorrow, it couldn't be much wetter.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well in Cumbria it rained all through the night and has stopped occasionally today. 

Oh dear, I went out this morning at 07.15 to top up all my feeders and to to see if any squirrels were feeding in the tree tops. This is where my targets are, in the tops of the trees. As you can see it's a clear sky with the moon out.

Screenshot_20210928-190923_Gallery.jpg

26 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Oh dear, I went out this morning at 07.15 to top up all my feeders and to to see if any squirrels were feeding in the tree tops. This is where my targets are, in the tops of the trees. As you can see it's a clear sky with the moon out.

Screenshot_20210928-190923_Gallery.jpg

Cracking picture,  you would have drowned up here today taking that 😀 

And how satisfying is it when you drop a squirrel from the top of a pine, wait for it.... thud!

35 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Cracking picture,  you would have drowned up here today taking that 😀 

And how satisfying is it when you drop a squirrel from the top of a pine, wait for it.... thud!

Yes I was on a roll last week I had 3 one morning, Single shot each one and dropped from the top. This week nothing, zilch not a Burstin sausage.

If it was easy it would be boring. 

Thought I better take advantage of todays good weather as the forecast implicates a deluge for the next fortnight so off I goes to the syndicates wood but not with much expectation as I've had a few greys off the feeder here recently,but the suns out and it rained yesterday so they might be hungry. I topped the feeder up last week and its half full so fingers crossed and quarter of an hour later,customer number one starts and then finishes his breakfast rather quickly. And....that was it, apart from the song birds helping themselves, did see the buzzard giving a fly past a few times, maybe with its eye on the dead squirrel.

Few hours out this morning 3 around the old feeder as I arrived bagged one the others fled gave it half an hour another appeared high in the tree hit him with a hard body shot he wanted to fall but clung on and somehow pulled itself back upright and moved slowly back in to the tree not to be seen again 🤷‍♀️. Another appeared a bit later again another body shot it flipped out of the tree with a thud on the ground and somehow managed to wobble away into the stingers , so I went to new feeder 1 squirrel on it only offering a body shot so this time I made sure it wasn’t going anywhere a good heart shot that went through and out the other side no movement on him , 35 in total now 

A2588402-EC73-43C5-8A67-BDB02E898A9D.jpeg

86E4B66C-67F8-4071-A509-730B12F31341.jpeg

Edited by sam triple

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Few hours out this morning 3 around the old feeder as I arrived bagged one the others fled gave it half an hour another appeared high in the tree hit him with a hard body shot he wanted to fall but clung on and somehow pulled itself back upright and moved slowly back in to the tree not to be seen again 🤷‍♀️. Another appeared a bit later again another body shot it flipped out of the tree with a thud on the ground and somehow managed to wobble away into the stingers , so I went to new feeder 1 squirrel on it only offering a body shot so this time I made sure it wasn’t going anywhere a good heart shot that went through and out the other side no movement on him , 35 in total now 

A2588402-EC73-43C5-8A67-BDB02E898A9D.jpeg

86E4B66C-67F8-4071-A509-730B12F31341.jpeg

Well done 👍

As it was raining this morning and most of the day I didn't bother going out. It got to 2.45pm and wife said "it's going to brighten up now" so I set off. As soon as I got to the wood it started raining. Not to be put off I carried on and so did the rain. I thought that I couldn't get any wetter. 

Finally i saw a squirrel at the top of a pine tree which was waving side to side in the wind. I lifted the gun up to my shoulder keeping an eye where the squirrel was and guess what? It was like looking into a sauna or a mist because the scopes were soaked. I wiped them with a tissue but the squirrel was off down the tree on the other side not my side. Ah well it will be there for another day. I still enjoyed being out.

Edited to say it was the top of the pine tree waving not the squirrel,  just to clarify 🙄

Edited by harrycatcat1

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Edited to say it was the top of the pine tree waving not the squirrel,  just to clarify 🙄

I wasn't but now I'm picturing that squirrel waving at you 🤣🤣🤣

Worth having a look for the scope covers you can get, pretty much a bag that goes over the scope if you know your going to get a soaking.

It's been a wash out for me this week, heavy or persistent rain all week 😪😪 I know the squirrels will still feed in the rain, but they never show up early.

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I wasn't but now I'm picturing that squirrel waving at you 🤣🤣🤣

Worth having a look for the scope covers you can get, pretty much a bag that goes over the scope if you know your going to get a soaking.

It's been a wash out for me this week, heavy or persistent rain all week 😪😪 I know the squirrels will still feed in the rain, but they never show up early.

I wasn't expecting rain as my Mrs convinced me it was going to dry up. 😐

Well I went out into the wood again looking for squirrels.  I had three shots at squirrels at the top of pine trees and missed with all three. The wind in the tops of the trees was bad this morning. They are still not bothered about going on the feeders. The pine cones must be too tasty.

Screenshot_20211005-161441_Gallery.jpg