Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, they are starting back on the feeders here as well which is good news. On the golf course in the morning so will see what turns up there. Had 30 off that flip top so far so cannot expect many more.  Hopefully set a new spot.

You will be surprised I have shot over 70 on 1 feeder at the golf course and I haven't moved it once and there is still a hell of alot of squirrels in that area, they definitely are starting back on the feeders now the food in two of mine 1 being the golf course is getting used now. 

Yes, I am expecting an increase in interest from now on. There are a couple of alternative spots on the course which should be productive.  The big problem is the short space of time after day break before the course becomes very busy.  I have at most an hour to and hour and hal to be active.  Two or even three spots would let me alternate a few days apart.

Problem being the course has a very large hotel complex in the centre as well as the club itself and the boundary all the way round backs on to open gardens in most part.   I'm pretty confident my returns will go up substantially in the next month or so.  New years resolution was avg 1 a day.  I am on 6.4 a week at the moment so have a way to go.

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

A few from a small wood this autumn.

15F43C53-3D5F-4DB4-943B-97B458931351.jpeg

21237AB8-6FAC-4AFE-B724-2BC849AC3439.jpeg

B90B68BA-D338-48C8-9F69-CD881147F289.jpeg

5787A11A-3BEB-4C50-B4DD-2788BED77DEE.jpeg

01474BA8-8E98-4113-9A83-A4633352A2D5.jpeg

You've has some good days out.

19 minutes ago, Martlandhw100 said:

Oh I see that is tricky one with it being so busy. On my course it's normally about an hour and a half before the first golfers come round by where my feeder is but come 9 o'clock it's packed with them, it is hard work and in the summer months they where on the course before I had even got there. 🙈

That's why I moved my feeder off to the edge of the course, the golfer's were on a first light so I just couldn't get on, this means I'm only on one side of the course but it's better than nothing. 

I can cover the last three holes no problem and could push it to about two hours. There is one spot which I hope to look at which hopefully could give me cover all day if I wished.  At the moment though all access is blocked for vehicles due to a spate of Caravan Clubbers going round demanding £6000 parking fee.   Just keep pluggining away at what I can get at and pretty sure as soon as I create a vaccuum it will be filled.

On 06/10/2021 at 09:06, old man said:

My venue on temporary hold at the moment due to pheasant season start.

Hoping the GK will find another out of the way area for me to continue?

I shoot on a pheasant shoot and cover the feeders on the rides, either from my Landy window or my pop up. The Keeper is more than happy for me to be there, the birds take absolutely no notice of the blind or the vehicle and have no reaction to the S200 breaking wind or the thunk as the pellet arrives, they often stand back in amazement if the tree rat does a bit of bouncing about, then continue whatver they where doing.   Obviously I keep away from a couple of days before a shoot and shoot days.

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I shoot on a pheasant shoot and cover the feeders on the rides, either from my Landy window or my pop up. The Keeper is more than happy for me to be there, the birds take absolutely no notice of the blind or the vehicle and have no reaction to the S200 breaking wind or the thunk as the pellet arrives, they often stand back in amazement if the tree rat does a bit of bouncing about, then continue whatver they where doing.   Obviously I keep away from a couple of days before a shoot and shoot days.

Some ‘keepers are over paranoid about disturbance. 
I used to shoot Muntjac on a VERY big commercial shoot. Ripping a .308 round down a feed ride over the heads of the feeding birds had no effect on them whatsoever. Most birds would never even raise their heads. The keepers were savvy enough to know this.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I used to shoot Muntjac on a VERY big commercial shoot. Ripping a .308 round down a feed ride over the heads of the feeding birds had no effect on them whatsoever. Most birds would never even raise their heads. The keepers were savvy enough to know this.

No such problems with me a mate does the Keepering one hide and feeder 60 m from release pen , pheasants everywhere and they really don’t take any notice of me or the air rifle going off 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Agreed, same here.  Had 2 red legs walk within 3 yds the other day, chattering as they do.Was really surprised to be told to hold off?

I'll give it a few days then ping him.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I used to have that scene too. Totally oblivious.

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, old man said:

Agreed, same here.  Had 2 red legs walk within 3 yds the other day, chattering as they do.Was really surprised to be told to hold off?

I'll give it a few days then ping him.

I used to have that scene too. Totally oblivious.

We do have to appreciate the stress of being a Keeper.  Hope you can convince him you are helping him out.  Squirrels will probably eat 1/4 pound of wheat a day which is not feeding his birds, maybe more.  40 squirrels 10lb a day  70lb a week a couple of cwt a month.....maybe a good start to the discusion.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We do have to appreciate the stress of being a Keeper.  Hope you can convince him you are helping him out.  Squirrels will probably eat 1/4 pound of wheat a day which is not feeding his birds, maybe more.  40 squirrels 10lb a day  70lb a week a couple of cwt a month.....maybe a good start to the discusion.

I always find it strange when I hear of keepers not wanting any disturbance around the birds, early on maybe but most shoots will be beating every week now, some twice three times and more, plenty of disturbance then.

I've had back to back blank days for possibly the first time this year, I've checked 4 feeder sites, two hammered and two used but no squirrels. 

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, same here Zero Zero and very little gone from feeders. My hedgecutting pal is seeing lots running up hedges infront of him so they are out and about foraging before winter sets in.

Noticed the same last weekend, lots running along the lanes foraging, some were a way off from the woods, they do travel distance.

On 10/09/2021 at 05:09, sam triple said:

After some advice from Mice , the new improved version 

46B95AC3-C791-499C-9D80-3ACA6BD6CE86.png

Was it this one mate? I put inertube or dpm across the back behind the hinge.

I've done two with lids that slot over rather than hinge to keep things as dry as possible,  working so far.

So took myself up the woods this afternoon for a few hours as I arrived a buzzard had just taken a pigeon in front of me , feathers everywhere so I made my way to the new feeder gave it a check nothing had changed , so back to the old feeder had 2 within an hour then the pheasants made their way down the track to feed so back up to the new feeder I sat there for 20 min I could see one in the ivy a way past the feeder it stuck its head up for a second too long a cracking head shot @ 25 m 

EA482489-7BE0-44F6-BC7E-0E07B23D81DC.jpeg

59DF4B38-2A28-4278-A818-BC8251BBD8A4.jpeg

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

So took myself up the woods this afternoon for a few hours as I arrived a buzzard had just taken a pigeon in front of me , feathers everywhere so I made my way to the new feeder gave it a check nothing had changed , so back to the old feeder had 2 within an hour then the pheasants made their way down the track to feed so back up to the new feeder I sat there for 20 min I could see one in the ivy a way past the feeder it stuck its head up for a second too long a cracking head shot @ 25 m 

EA482489-7BE0-44F6-BC7E-0E07B23D81DC.jpeg

59DF4B38-2A28-4278-A818-BC8251BBD8A4.jpeg

Nicely done.

I finally got another in the garden this afternoon,  I've had two coming and going,  normally further down the garden.

I missed one Saturday 😔 it was bouncing around up near the house, it paused but I couldn't take the shot because of the garden ornaments behind it! Then it was back on the grass, I took the shot but it moved. 

After that I got the range finder out, pinged the raised bed where they keep going and did a couple of shots to work out the drop.

Screenshot_20210924-162223_Gallery.jpg.f93ca6b2b467834dcd0a7511c14e3844.jpg

Corner of the bed, 36mtrs from the bedroom window,  around an inch of drop.

Sunday morning and the flighty squirrel is there again,  eating the sunflower seeds I'd put there, 177 at the ready and I gave it too much hold over! I saw the pellet go just over its head!!

Shortly after there is another squirrel in the same spot, I didn't miss again. 

Screenshot_20211010-161252_Gallery.jpg.efd9de05d193004d9ffdd76cc85fc2b6.jpg

Just collapsed on the spot.

Screenshot_20211010-161227_Gallery.jpg.37af12fae951cadc9cddf3a9ad75d660.jpg

She was looking straight at me, JSB heavy doing its thing, big mature female. 

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Nicely done.

I finally got another in the garden this afternoon,  I've had two coming and going,  normally further down the garden.

I missed one Saturday 😔 it was bouncing around up near the house, it paused but I couldn't take the shot because of the garden ornaments behind it! Then it was back on the grass, I took the shot but it moved. 

After that I got the range finder out, pinged the raised bed where they keep going and did a couple of shots to work out the drop.

Screenshot_20210924-162223_Gallery.jpg.f93ca6b2b467834dcd0a7511c14e3844.jpg

Corner of the bed, 36mtrs from the bedroom window,  around an inch of drop.

Sunday morning and the flighty squirrel is there again,  eating the sunflower seeds I'd put there, 177 at the ready and I gave it too much hold over! I saw the pellet go just over its head!!

Shortly after there is another squirrel in the same spot, I didn't miss again. 

Screenshot_20211010-161252_Gallery.jpg.efd9de05d193004d9ffdd76cc85fc2b6.jpg

Just collapsed on the spot.

Screenshot_20211010-161227_Gallery.jpg.37af12fae951cadc9cddf3a9ad75d660.jpg

She was looking straight at me, JSB heavy doing its thing, big mature female. 

And you 

Nicely done. I have my Airmax scope set up that at 40yrds I use the first dot below the cross hair and then the first dot up for 10 yarders and by judging intermediate I can place them in between as required. Iforgot a couple of weeks ago and had one sitting perfect at about 12yrds put the cross hair on in haste and it went down  then got up and shook it's head violently before jumping of the bird table and scampering off at speed.  I have since checked every one shot there to see if it had a crossways parting:lol: