squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went out this morning,  but not till it was light. My idea was check the feeder at the golf course and walk through the wood to see if anything is about.

The feeder was practically abandoned,  just an inch or so of wheat, they had obviously rooted out all the good stuff and it was damp, not surprised after the rain over the last few weeks, I cleaned it out and put in a small amount of good stuff. I haven't seen anything at this feeder for some time now so I wasn't filling it.

There was a heat source in a drey/nest up above me but I left it well alone as I know I have owls in the wood.

I then took a walk and saw birds, lots of birds, pigeons blackbirds and everything smaller,  but not so much as a glimpse of a squirrel. 

So after 2hrs it was back to the car, nice morning and I'm obviously on top of the squirrels here, or they've found food elsewhere?,  I look right and probably a 100 yards up the road is a young squirrel just sat there!!

Squirrels 1 Mice 0

Similar, checked all round the wood no sign checked another area nothing, drove back through the village and one was sat by the phone box and I swear it gave me the finger before bolting into the bushes.

Checking a new set at the golf course in the morning and the green Keeper commented they would be havin the fattest tree rats in the county so food has gone from the flip top. 

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

by the phone box and I swear it gave me the finger before bolting into the bushes.

It was ringing its mates giving the all clear.

In comparison we were out Sunday in a park and you have to practically move them with your foot.

Big wood tomorrow afternoon for a wander, see if they have been sleeping in.

Went to see a mate last night to pick up a Roe deer , asked what I’d been doing off late so i told him how many squirrels I’d shot , mentioned he shoots deer in a nursery that’s supplies young trees and it’s full of greys , he said he’ll give my number to the owner . Fingers crossed but not holding my breath 

7 hours ago, sam triple said:

Went to see a mate last night to pick up a Roe deer , asked what I’d been doing off late so i told him how many squirrels I’d shot , mentioned he shoots deer in a nursery that’s supplies young trees and it’s full of greys , he said he’ll give my number to the owner . Fingers crossed but not holding my breath 

The power of recommendation 🤞🤞

12 hours ago, sam triple said:

Good luck  X 3 Sam.

So big wood today,  I arrived around 3pm on a glorious sunny afternoon,  headed up to feeder one and there was an actual squirrel disappearing up the feeder tree!

I waited a good while but it didn't show up again,  although two pheasants were busy at the base of the feeder tree.

I was very surprised to find the feed well down as its been largely untouched lately. 

Then I went wandering in a random direction heading for feeder two, I didn't see any squirrels as I pushed through the bracken in an area I don't go.

I made my way into position at feeder2 and again there were two pheasants around the base, then I spotted a squirrel further up the bank, I gave it 15 mins then decided to try and get close enough for a shot as it was happy rooting around. 

Screenshot_20211021-202321_Gallery.jpg.aaef43d4a2dbd374441be837c120e5a3.jpg

(The pheasants do a good job of cleaning up. )

No sooner was I in view than a squirrel headed away from the feeder tree, no idea if it was the same one or another but it shot off.

I went back to where I had been and enjoyed watching the birds coming and going,  plus a little mouse just in front of me which kept catching my eye, there was a squirrel mooching further up again but I stayed put and up popped a squirrel on the feeder! It was head down feeding like a dog in bowl, I'd travelled light today,  no sticks just the gun bag and game bag/seat so I'm sat with my elbow resting on my knee leaning against a wall.

PFFT WHACK it dangled then dropped giving the pheasant quite a shock, nothing else showed so I moved up, a healthy young male, but with the usual chest of ticks although they looked small and new without the sores I often see.

Screenshot_20211021-202350_Gallery.jpg.804b31e9b59b8d7573ba84e0ffe88d86.jpg

Entry wound.

Screenshot_20211021-202337_Gallery.jpg.803b8ed47dff1a29d896975c2308d9e6.jpg

Exit wound, JSB heavies not messing around. 

I was stood looking around when a sparrow hawk came swooping in and landed in front of me, there is no way it couldn't see me but it just sat there, no doubt looking for the tits that frequent the feeder, it hung around for a few minutes then just hopped off the branch and flew away,  beautiful to see so close.

I then headed further up the hill, I've been so far before to a footpath but not further, that was today's plan a bit of exploration,  and I hit gold, I found probably 6 mature sweet chestnut trees, fruit everywhere plus some big oaks, unfortunately there right on the footpaths but there are bound to be squirrels up there, and I'll be back up there next week 😀 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

So big wood today,  I arrived around 3pm on a glorious sunny afternoon,  headed up to feeder one and there was an actual squirrel disappearing up the feeder tree!

I waited a good while but it didn't show up again,  although two pheasants were busy at the base of the feeder tree.

I was very surprised to find the feed well down as its been largely untouched lately. 

Then I went wandering in a random direction heading for feeder two, I didn't see any squirrels as I pushed through the bracken in an area I don't go.

I made my way into position at feeder2 and again there were two pheasants around the base, then I spotted a squirrel further up the bank, I gave it 15 mins then decided to try and get close enough for a shot as it was happy rooting around. 

Screenshot_20211021-202321_Gallery.jpg.aaef43d4a2dbd374441be837c120e5a3.jpg

(The pheasants do a good job of cleaning up. )

No sooner was I in view than a squirrel headed away from the feeder tree, no idea if it was the same one or another but it shot off.

I went back to where I had been and enjoyed watching the birds coming and going,  plus a little mouse just in front of me which kept catching my eye, there was a squirrel mooching further up again but I stayed put and up popped a squirrel on the feeder! It was head down feeding like a dog in bowl, I'd travelled light today,  no sticks just the gun bag and game bag/seat so I'm sat with my elbow resting on my knee leaning against a wall.

PFFT WHACK it dangled then dropped giving the pheasant quite a shock, nothing else showed so I moved up, a healthy young male, but with the usual chest of ticks although they looked small and new without the sores I often see.

Screenshot_20211021-202350_Gallery.jpg.804b31e9b59b8d7573ba84e0ffe88d86.jpg

Entry wound.

Screenshot_20211021-202337_Gallery.jpg.803b8ed47dff1a29d896975c2308d9e6.jpg

Exit wound, JSB heavies not messing around. 

I was stood looking around when a sparrow hawk came swooping in and landed in front of me, there is no way it couldn't see me but it just sat there, no doubt looking for the tits that frequent the feeder, it hung around for a few minutes then just hopped off the branch and flew away,  beautiful to see so close.

I then headed further up the hill, I've been so far before to a footpath but not further, that was today's plan a bit of exploration,  and I hit gold, I found probably 6 mature sweet chestnut trees, fruit everywhere plus some big oaks, unfortunately there right on the footpaths but there are bound to be squirrels up there, and I'll be back up there next week 😀 

Lucky you. Keep at em bud.

Well, I jinxed myself by my last post on Aug 18th saying 'that will be a quick trapping!!'...what a frustrating few months that has been, but finally...number 10!  

And a big-boi he was too. Im finally starting to see some decent activity again so hopefully I will be bagging some more of the critters now.

10.jpg

Up early yesterday to go foxing, no luck there but as the sun was rising on the way back to the truck for some breakfast one squirrel presented himself with a very nice backstop at about 50yds, it literally was a case of off with his head.

After breakfast took the 12g out for a walk about but didn't see many squirrels but sat and watched a fallow buck and seven does in the wood, did take a quick video of him grunting at the does but its 20mb so to big to put up on here.

Anyways walked on around for another hour but didn't see much else, weather was quite gusty so guess the squirrels didn't like the conditions.

Some of you will have noted that I probably put a parting down the hair of a squirrel last week. Well mt wife had seen probably said squirrel back on the same feeding table so I went down there this afternoon and sure enough it turned up. Climbed on the table and picking up a peanut began to eat it.  Cross hairs neatly placed just along the bridge of nose(facing towards me) and eased the trigger off....#######!!!!!!$$$~~~~~!!!!!! me if it did not do the same again ducked just as the pellet began it's journey. If that tree rat doesn't have two partings....well it certainly is living a charmed life until tomorrow afternoon.

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Some of you will have noted that I probably put a parting down the hair of a squirrel last week. Well mt wife had seen probably said squirrel back on the same feeding table so I went down there this afternoon and sure enough it turned up. Climbed on the table and picking up a peanut began to eat it.  Cross hairs neatly placed just along the bridge of nose(facing towards me) and eased the trigger off....#######!!!!!!$$$~~~~~!!!!!! me if it did not do the same again ducked just as the pellet began it's journey. If that tree rat doesn't have two partings....well it certainly is living a charmed life until tomorrow afternoon.

😂

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You’re not meant to educate them 😳🤣

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sounds like it is time to teach it rule number four hundred and ten?