squirrel control

Mice!

A very frosty morning here. Sat for 2 hours nothing around, nothing gone from feeders. Just about to pack up when a kitt came in on the ground from my blindside left to within 6 feet of my feet to a bird feeder, winding me it upped and left the same way without stopping. 

Hopefully will meet it next week?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ratchers said:

saw a squirrel at the base of the tree where the flip top is and watched it finally take a peanut, right just sit still.......what its off.......did it see me.....is it the same one from yesterday, but its gone in a different direction.......back to waiting and hoping

Very similar for me this morning,  I got in in the dark and was at the feeder for 745, watched the wood come awake and the birds arrived to whirl around the feeders.

Around 815 I had a scan and spotted a squirrel at my 8 o'clock,  no chance of me changing position so I just have to hope it makes its way around. 

Maybe ten more minutes of bird watching and taking sneaky looks to my left when like magic there's a squirrel bellow the feeder,  it was up and down in a flash, paused on the wall, almost giving me the finger then gone!! Couldn't believe it.

5 minutes Maybe 10 and from the left again up comes another or the same squirrel,  slowly this time, onto the feeder and settles to feed, WHACK and it just rolled off the ledge, then flipped around.

I gave it another 30 mins but saw nothing else, I walked over to the other feeder but saw no more squirrels,  but did see two glowing dreys.

Screenshot_20220113-175621_Gallery.jpg.80ae9b0d248f92f5eb1ce0518b9285a4.jpg

Off the mark with a big chunky male, he was very ready for spring.

Screenshot_20220113-175612_Gallery.jpg.b108783347efc4a2fcb9458dcc1affe5.jpg

He was in this position on the feeder, JSB Heavy through the top of the head.

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Turned up to the wood this morning-1 , hard frost squirrels everywhere but I think they were more interested in mating than eating managed 2 in five minutes, then people working on an oil pipe line started work and the shoot on the estate next door fired up , managed 3 in 3 hours

You squirrel shooting in Afghanistan??

Well I was out early this morning into a new wood where I had put a couple of feeders up. Both had been used so I settled in my shelter in front of the big feeder. Waited 30 minutes then saw a Red coming down the larch where the feeder was placed. No sign of greys. I’ll check again tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Well I was out early this morning into a new wood where I had put a couple of feeders up. Both had been used so I settled in my shelter in front of the big feeder. Waited 30 minutes then saw a Red coming down the larch where the feeder was placed. No sign of greys. I’ll check again tomorrow.

Have you not put up a camera or any sticky pads?

Be nice to just have reds 😊

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Either we are having an effect on numbers on our areas or we just are not shooting enough. Present figure is 4 a day which is only about 1500 for the year, so need to treble that or more.  Keep whacking and stacking and get others into it as well.

But it's January,  with folk not seeing many, I had good success last year feb/March in one area while blanking in Jan. Then better success across a different area through june/July with quiet months either side.

Plus most of us have been keeping the pressure on throughout the winter which means numbers should be low really?

Was out at dawn to the big house where I got one last week, waited in the cover of a tree for an hour ready to ambush but nothing moved so I went round the back of the house to the other flip top, again nothing moved apart from a biting north wind which soon had me moving, it looked as though this feeder is the one to cover next time as it was empty.

Off to the second permission where I had topped up the feeder the previous week, nothing on the house bird feeders where I have seen them before and nothing on the flip top, as I can't sneak up to it I'm pleased to get in position with nothing in sight, before I do I have to fill it as it is empty and I put a few nuts out for the songbirds. Just about right away as though it had been watching a greedy jay comes and gobbles the lot up, drat they were for the little uns and I don't have permission on any quarry apart from greys here. The jay was back and forward a few times and even turned up with his or her mate. Had been there for an hour and a half and was gonna give it another half hour whan I spotted a squirrel on a branch, should I take a 30 yard shot or wait for it to come to the feeder, as the wind was gusting I waited, after a chew on something it came down the branch on to the ground towards the feeder, at the base of the tree where the flip top was the grey rootled around in the dirt where no doubt it could smell the nuts the jay had nicked, whether it sensed me or not it stood up meerkat like and looked right at me 20 yards away but I was in position and phutt......lights out. That will do me...lets go home and get warmed through.