squirrel control

Mice!

It doesn’t happen often but the weather was spot on this morning,  I walked from the car at 6:20 with the wind blowing the rain into my face, and back out at 7:20 to a full moon and clear dark sky.

Screenshot_20220119-181555_Gallery.jpg.5c414c3e6b7887ba2d2e2501d6437b06.jpg

I went out fully loaded, bag of feed, brolly bag, gun bag, seat bag, then the forecast 9am rain didn't arrive??

Problem was I bumped a squirrel when I arrived!! It was sat on the feeder waiting,  but it suddenly gotten light.

I got set up set up and 5 minutes later a squirrel comes through the Yew and up onto the feeder, takes something and turns it's back to me, Pfft Whack back of the head.

Maybe 10 minutes and another makes its way from below the feeder down the bank, it was clearly not happy with the dead squirrel on the floor, very twitchy, but still went up the stick and started taking food, three times I nearly took the shot, but it must have been taking sunflower seeds not peanuts,  so wasn't still for very long, but it kept doing the same thing, was buzzed by a great tit,  and took a pellet through the neck and flopped onto the floor  two down landing side by side in probably 20 minutes.

Screenshot_20220119-181541_Gallery.jpg.a7becad74de89fc24e81db2bdf8438e2.jpg

Screenshot_20220119-181527_Gallery.jpg.0c788ad91ce905003757d0e1308fb578.jpg

Two good sized females, big feeder had maybe a third left in it, topped up both, went for a little walk but didn't see another more squirrels just deer.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

It doesn’t happen often but the weather was spot on this morning,  I walked from the car at 6:20 with the wind blowing the rain into my face, and back out at 7:20 to a full moon and clear dark sky.

I went out fully loaded, bag of feed, brolly bag, gun bag, seat bag, then the forecast 9am rain didn't arrive??

Problem was I bumped a squirrel when I arrived!! It was sat on the feeder waiting,  but it suddenly gotten light.

I got set up set up and 5 minutes later a squirrel comes through the Yew and up onto the feeder, takes something and turns it's back to me, Pfft Whack back of the head.

Maybe 10 minutes and another makes its way from below the feeder down the bank, it was clearly not happy with the dead squirrel on the floor, very twitchy, but still went up the stick and started taking food, three times I nearly took the shot, but it must have been taking sunflower seeds not peanuts,  so wasn't still for very long, but it kept doing the same thing, was buzzed by a great tit,  and took a pellet through the neck and flopped onto the floor  two down landing side by side in probably 20 minutes.

Two good sized females, big feeder had maybe a third left in it, topped up both, went for a little walk but didn't see another more squirrels just deer.

Excellent mornings work 👍

15 hours ago, Mice! said:

Superb and a bit better than mine, went to go and found a flat tyre? 

Well today didn't go as expected, the morning was beautiful with a line of orangey red to my left lighting the horizon and a shining moon and black sky to my right, it was very impressive. 

I'd checked this feeder Tuesday afternoon and it was cleaned out again so I topped up and said I'd be back this morning as the forecast was 0°C and no wind.

Well I was in and set up by 730 expecting squirrels after 8, 8-9 I bird watched,  robins, lots of blackbirds,  blue tits then at 9 a family of long-tail tits, I watched the shadows change as the sun came up and shone through the wood where trees are missing having been smashed in the storm.

I decided I was giving it till 9:30 it was cold and I was losing the feeling in my feet 😁😁

I kid you not, a squirrel popped up, made its way over and started eating the nuts I'd put on the log below the feeder, there was a blackbird just to it's left and I was expecting them to startle each other but they both just carried on.

The squirrel took another nut and sat back facing me,  Pfft Whack,  it collapsed then rolled about 6ft.

I looked through the thermal and it was 9:28, I'd really expected a few to turn up but I'd given it another 15 mins but nothing else showed up.

Screenshot_20220120-104740_Gallery.jpg.44e81ff036c645ad057140b7f8727be1.jpg

Large female taken between the eyes.

Screenshot_20220120-104722_Gallery.jpg.a66f6ead1779abea03c4ababf131bd57.jpg

And one is better than none after a two hour wait.

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well today didn't go as expected, the morning was beautiful with a line of orangey red to my left lighting the horizon and a shining moon and black sky to my right, it was very impressive. 

I'd checked this feeder Tuesday afternoon and it was cleaned out again so I topped up and said I'd be back this morning as the forecast was 0°C and no wind.

Well I was in and set up by 730 expecting squirrels after 8, 8-9 I bird watched,  robins, lots of blackbirds,  blue tits then at 9 a family of long-tail tits, I watched the shadows change as the sun came up and shone through the wood where trees are missing having been smashed in the storm.

I decided I was giving it till 9:30 it was cold and I was losing the feeling in my feet 😁😁

I kid you not, a squirrel popped up, made its way over and started eating the nuts I'd put on the log below the feeder, there was a blackbird just to it's left and I was expecting them to startle each other but they both just carried on.

The squirrel took another nut and sat back facing me,  Pfft Whack,  it collapsed then rolled about 6ft.

I looked through the thermal and it was 9:28, I'd really expected a few to turn up but I'd given it another 15 mins but nothing else showed up.

Spoilt his day 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Nicely 👍

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Nicely 👍

It’s the Red Squirrel Appreciation Day tomorrow.

If you use Twitter , join @uksquirrelaccord, between 12.00 and 2.00 for a Twitter storm.

C0CDE6D0-8E58-4283-9B4C-EE4FDD9D6CFF.jpeg

Great photo. I wish we had them here.   Absolutely nothing showing on the golf course this morning. Visited three flip top sites and refilled as they had gone down a bit, but nothing running into the house gardens like they used to. I have shot 50 there now but cannot believe I have depleted them that much as the course is totally lined with mature timber and surrounded by large houses and trees. Probably 150 - 180 acres.  Will have another look next Sunday. Mornings getting lighter now, so soon have more time to start and stay on.

5 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Another 4 this afternoon, sure the sap is rising shot one it’s dead lying at the bottom of the tree when in comes another and tries to rattle the dead ones bones before he met the same sorry death 

25CDDE65-5573-4583-850C-DF40343E6768.jpeg

Nice shooting,  only one thing on there mind, nuts 🥜🥜🥜😅😅

I set a new feeder up for after the season last week and put a camera on it the weekend ,went to have a look today and plenty of activity around first 2 hours of light and 3.30-4.00 ish for the last two days so hopefully we will have 1or 2 soon . Will have to set the clock.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I'm getting the shakes....would that be withdrawl symptoms ?  I haven't actually shot one for over three weeks:cry1:

Three weeks!! Oh dear lord, are you not seeing them, or is your knee still playing up?

January is always hard work, I'm convinced they go on holiday. 

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

No problem with knee, I have been out three times and not seen a single tree rat. We have no sightings here on our patch or up the road at the neighbours.  Mind we have given them a serious panning.  Looking back on records Jan/Feb was slack previous years.

I thought it was just me. I went into a wood yesterday and sat on my bucket to listen. 

After a few minutes I heard a noise that I'd not heard for a while. It's the noise of a squirrel eating a pine cone, it's like a "clicking". Looking up into the top of the pine trees 🌲 there is little chance of locating it and getting a shot with the air rifle.  I did try to find it but failed. Apart from hearing that I didn't see one in 2 hours walking about.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No problem with knee, I have been out three times and not seen a single tree rat. We have no sightings here on our patch or up the road at the neighbours.  Mind we have given them a serious panning.  Looking back on records Jan/Feb was slack previous years.

Me too, shot 2 in  Jan , feeders untouched, except for thousands of small birds.  Are they all at home , watching Nutflix?

A tin can on a string at 50yds  is still fun though.