squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm getting lazy, it was overcast and dull this morning but was suddenly light. I arrived late and bumped one off the feeder again!

I sat waiting watching the birds and voles all being very animated expecting the squirrel to come back from the right, my  thinking being it can't have been feeding for long?

After probably 30mins a squirrel came from Behind me, maybe 6mtrs away,  I just kept very still as it went across to the wall and sat up! As this was happening I heard the lid go on the feeder, like buses two had arrived at once, and I'd no idea where the one on the feeder came from!!

I was set up facing the feeder, so focused on that one, it took something then sat facing away from me, Pfft Whack,  it did the grab then rolled off, but landed funny,  then blinked so I gave it another shot, Whack and rolled onto her back, the second squirrel didn't show again. 

Large female. 

Screenshot_20220126-182613_Gallery.jpg.53feb4acad199ddeca66e98f2606d888.jpg

the whole time I'd been there  there had been a heat source off behind the feeder, it didn't seem bright enough to be a squirrel but I went for a look, it got bigger as I got closer and changed angles but was clearly a big bird, I was probably only ten meters away looking straight at it but still couldn't it out, until the Tawny owl flew out 😊

After that I didn't see any other squirrels again,  few deer, plenty of small birds in the tree tops but no more squirrels?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Well I'm getting lazy, it was overcast and dull this morning but was suddenly light. I arrived late and bumped one off the feeder again!

I sat waiting watching the birds and voles all being very animated expecting the squirrel to come back from the right, my  thinking being it can't have been feeding for long?

After probably 30mins a squirrel came from Behind me, maybe 6mtrs away,  I just kept very still as it went across to the wall and sat up! As this was happening I heard the lid go on the feeder, like buses two had arrived at once, and I'd no idea where the one on the feeder came from!!

I was set up facing the feeder, so focused on that one, it took something then sat facing away from me, Pfft Whack,  it did the grab then rolled off, but landed funny,  then blinked so I gave it another shot, Whack and rolled onto her back, the second squirrel didn't show again. 

Large female. 

Screenshot_20220126-182613_Gallery.jpg.53feb4acad199ddeca66e98f2606d888.jpg

the whole time I'd been there  there had been a heat source off behind the feeder, it didn't seem bright enough to be a squirrel but I went for a look, it got bigger as I got closer and changed angles but was clearly a big bird, I was probably only ten meters away looking straight at it but still couldn't it out, until the Tawny owl flew out 😊

After that I didn't see any other squirrels again,  few deer, plenty of small birds in the tree tops but no more squirrels?

👍 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It makes you ender what there eating,  we all expected them to be ravenous with there being so few acorns,  but there off eating something somewhere?

For trap bait he’s just using maize 

He took the Grey Squirrel Management Training Course, which I helped put together and deliver with British Red Squirrel last November. The course covers all aspect of Grey Control trapping and shooting together with ecology and the law.

It results in the successful candidates having a Lantra certificate of competency, which some landowners find helpful when granting permissions. 
We are rolling the course out nationwide this year and I’m doing training in Devon next month with others planned in March and April.

Edited by Fisheruk

17 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I use bits from seed cleaner , millet , sunflower, canary seed and wheat , birds love it , deer love it , squirrels love it eve. Mr fox has eaten it and best of all its free 

730FC7C6-F282-48AB-80BA-8360753D7F2D.jpeg

A right good mix and free 👍

But I mean what are the squirrels eating if they aren't coming to the feeders, with the lack of acorns I would have expected the feeders to be getting hammered. 

Just now, Mice! said:

A right good mix and free 👍

But I mean what are the squirrels eating if they aren't coming to the feeders, with the lack of acorns I would have expected the feeders to be getting hammered. 

Ah I see , got a lot of beech trees , ash , yew and a few holly trees in the wood so I’m guessing they’ve got enough berry’s , seeds and beech mast to eat 

Walked into the wood while it was still dark but walking out in the sunlight was a delight.

One Song Thrush singing from a tree on the North side of the brook and another singing on the South side, Robins, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Chaffinch, Tree Creepers and Nuthatches, that’s bird life flourishing in a wood where I removed 107 Grey squirrels last year.

BD8B5541-E5E6-41C1-BBC7-262FF69E7A5A.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

16 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Walked into the wood while it was still dark but walking out in the sunlight was a delight.

One Song Thrush singing from a tree on the North side of the brook and another singing on the South side, Robins, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Chaffinch, Tree Creepers and Nuthatches, that’s bird life flourishing in a wood where I removed 107 Grey squirrels last year.

Thats a great feeling isn't it, listening to and seeing songbirds where there was a dearth before.

Was out myself this morning before light to get in position at the big house permission, settled in to the beech hedge and waited. There was quite a strong breeze on my left coming from the west making it cold, lets hope the squirrel is hungry and wants his peanut breakfast......and sure enough he was, sadly his enjoyment was short lived. Got a bonus rabbit as well.

Well I did what I don't like doing,  same spot two days in a row! I knew there was at least one squirrel in the area near the feeder so thought I'd chance it.

I was in the car at 7:04, arrived at 7:20 and was in the wood set up by 7:40, and it was just dark enough,  I'll have to be earlier in future I think.

I didn't have to wait long before I spotted a grey sliding down the trunk, unusually from above as everything has come in along the ground lately.

It was straight onto the feeder, but then showed some strange behaviour, it was lifting the lid taking something small and keeping the lid open with its nose,  then a peanut,  then repeat,  but when it took a nut it let the lid close, I watched the cycle twice and shot it the third time, facing away again because of the feeder design. 

Screenshot_20220127-181309_Gallery.jpg.79c89636872b19761f169a9eaa7dfcea.jpg

I changed this feeder a while back, the idea was to stop them climbing in and throwing out the feed, they can probably still fo it to an extent but it'll, be much more difficult. 

The bonus is they sometimes sit up and face the feeder meaning less chance of spotting any of my movements and results in a pellet through the ear or the back of the head.

She dropped and landed belly up! Time was 7:55, happy days.

With that I sat back and relaxed listening to the wood come awake,  the tits coming to the feeder and a pair of Ravens I think cronking? Overhead. 

I wasn't planning on waiting long because I wanted to have a walk and see what's going on elsewhere in the wood, I gave it  15 mins then had a scan around with the thermal,  boom, in amongst the Holly off to my right a squirrel was making its way down the hill but then vanished?

This is where the thermal has made a big difference for me, scanning around the feeder before I get up, if I'd just have looked around then stood up that squirrel would have shot off, but I was ready and waiting. 

I'm guessing it could smell the dead squirrel because it vanished then 5 mins later was making its way down from above,  it had obviously gone up and around. 

It was definitely nervous,  kept changing position on the tree going to different sides, and looking across at the dead one.

Finally came in from below and took a nut before jumping up onto the second feeder facing front and away. It was right to be nervous,  Pfft Whack number two down.

Screenshot_20220127-181249_Gallery.jpg.ba00f6695cbbbd38b56e5b10d29facec.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-104732_Gallery.jpg.e92d968f56939a97366d78b5022cd02f.jpg

Another two big females.

After that I had a walk around with the gun slipped for an hour but didn't see any more squirrels,  although if there on the deck they'd be very difficult to spot, but I was seeing deer, and plenty of birds so I should of caught a glimpse of a squirrel if they were about,  sitting at the feeder is definitely the most productive way here at the moment. 

Screenshot_20220127-181235_Gallery.jpg.87efa5bf5f9d089d44d3bb81368ddcf3.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-181226_Gallery.jpg.9ca47c1abb0758e1ff5c43ffe4fbb542.jpg

Back up here soon I guess .

Hello tagether, can you boys give me some advice ,I've set a new site feeder up and food was going quickly so I put a camera up to see when visited most , first light and afternoons until dark I have now been 2 afternoons and seen nothing so is it just percivere or have I got to be there early ,it's a good distance so not that easy, Thanks for help.

8 minutes ago, Morkin said:

Hello tagether, can you boys give me some advice ,I've set a new site feeder up and food was going quickly so I put a camera up to see when visited most , first light and afternoons until dark I have now been 2 afternoons and seen nothing so is it just percivere or have I got to be there early ,it's a good distance so not that easy, Thanks for help.

I'd always choose to go earlier rather than later,  if I go out in the afternoon I don't expect to see much, its mainly to fill the feeders and look around. 

Unless your camera is showing a real pattern of them feeding in the afternoon that is.

8 hours ago, Morkin said:

Yes, I agree with @Mice!, early morning has always been best, just after daybreak when it is just light enough to use the scope. I aim to walk in before daybreak so that I am settled before they start to rouse. Normally the action is over an hour after daybreak. They will come back later in the day and in particular about a couple of hours before dusk, but that never seems to be guaranteed.

As above. I just get set half an hour before they are likely to move. Sit still and stay sat still until I decide it is time for a bacon sarny. Sometimes that will be in my Land Rover, sometimes in a purpose made hide on site sometimes in a one man fold over camo seat and sometimes just sat under some cover in full camo. I have an old camera tripod which is adapted to support the rifle and I align this with the feeder ready so it minimises any movement. I only have to ease my hand to the trigger and my eye to the scope. The set up ensures a very stable support.   Oh failed to mention the word PATIENCE.

Hiya Sam, yes I have built a hide and it's been there for about 3 weeks so they get use to it ,I was not intending to start until the end of shooting season but as the food was going fast the manager said give it  go.

Thanks chaps , I've got the alarm clock out👍🕕

One of my neighbours from two doors away had a tree full of bird feeders. It was a dead tree, and frequented by greys after a free meal. Squirrels didn’t venture into our garden much because of the easy pickings two doors away.

Well last weekend I helped him cut the top off the tree off with my chainsaw.

He wasn’t for catching the greys because he said they were cute!

Well, with his feeders down I thought it time to entice them into my garden, so I increased the availability of food on our bird table. 
I also primed the trap I keep discretely fixed to the inside of the boundary fence, with a plentiful supply of monkey nuts.

I came home yesterday and found one on the bird table, quick pop inside for the FX Verminator and a careful creep to the corner of the house and one less large female grey.

Came back this morning after Grandfather duties and the school run, the trap had done it’s business and another large female won’t be breeding this year.

We just use every opportunity to keep reducing the grey population and make space f the Reds to recolonise.

7EE0BD30-465E-44B7-AB15-68DED96DF881.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk