squirrel control

Mice!

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well after three weeks managed to get to the farm and check out two feeders. Shot one on the first at0700 and it then went very quiet.... you know the feeling no doubt....so I moved down to another flip top on the Pear Tree and settled down to wait and at 0800 number two arrived, that one bounced into the duck pond and at 08300 I was just preparing to call it a morning when number three arrived. All three young females so saved a fair few this season. Feed levels had gone down about what I would expect fromthat number, so will check again next week for new commers. I have shot 342 off these two flip tops and another the other side of the farmyard, so probably got the numbers down. Just keep at 'em, few at a time.  I have two other spots adjacent to 400 acres of ancient woodland, I would like to get at but both are infiltrated by people walking footpaths. 

Haven’t got footpath in woods where I shoot as they’re private but with the whole floor being covered with bluebell’s I expect to be kicking people out of it again 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A beautiful day to be out wandering around the wood, especially when I managed to shoot a grey, on a sad note there was a dead deer that had tried to jump a fence only to trap its leg in the top wire strands and die trapped, will use its carcase as an ambush for magpies though, so not all bad, lambing season is nearly here so less of them blighters the better.

4 hours ago, ratchers said:

A beautiful day to be out wandering around the wood, especially when I managed to shoot a grey, on a sad note there was a dead deer that had tried to jump a fence only to trap its leg in the top wire strands and die trapped, will use its carcase as an ambush for magpies though, so not all bad, lambing season is nearly here so less of them blighters the better.

Fencers still insiat in pitting those two top strands too close together.

Mm, this morning looked promising from indoors, frost covered cars.

Out at my permission, sunny sky but a ground frost with a biting wind blowing straight in my face.

Both feeders empty, they adore Mr Walkers additive.

Gave up after 3 freezing hours of nothing other than a pair of Robbins for company.

I popped out to top up, but thought I'll have an hour, one came in after half an hour but stopped, looked around then ran off? Guessing I moved they normally just come in? Another or the same one was in the tree tops but didn't come to the feeder!

But I went elsewhere and set up for the morning,  looks like a thermal sock morning. 

I was out again this morning,  I arrived at 6:15 and it was already pretty light, straight in under my brolley and out of sight, so nice being set ready, and by 6:30 it could have been midday in the wood. Pigeons everywhere?

Screenshot_20220309-180621_Gallery.jpg.005744c29db4a7e4084665ee2c34e321.jpg

Yesterday's sunrise,  today it was just light!

I didn't have to wait long about 6:50 a squirrel appeared on the feeder tree, went up and down then straight to the flip top, took something and sat facing me, Pfft Whack drop. The strange thing was a blackbird came and sat by the dropped squirrel for maybe 5 minutes?

Twenty minutes later and I spotted another further back from the feeder but something spooked it and it went back up into the canopy,  followed by a cock pheasant coming in along the ground. 

Ten minutes after this and another squirrel is on the feeder tree, it looked at the dead squirrel then went to the flip top,  same result.

Screenshot_20220309-180602_Gallery.jpg.c04eed1ded2fd984c6713bebfbee1369.jpg

As they landed.

Screenshot_20220309-180548_Gallery.jpg.2b1963bfa12133109de8e38e159ebd05.jpg

Male and female,  the male looked very unhealthy,  fur missing and very thin, ribs showing, very unlike any squirrels I normally get here.

Screenshot_20220309-183143_Gallery.jpg.5e8474429f9e4d952a4e6bd103d82ca7.jpg

7:40 ish, like a summers day, the wind had been blowing but not in the wood just outside,  there's a dead tree that had been rattling the whole time, it might have to go.

Nothing else showed so I packed up to head back to the wood I was at yesterday,  when I set up I realised I was missing a magazine!!

Screenshot_20220309-180528_Gallery.jpg.65802d9a5d1ffa759badb6a042425c0a.jpg

And there it is, that's a relief. 

I had a walk through the wood and saw nothing,  not a squirrel anywhere on a sunny morning. 

Screenshot_20220309-180512_Gallery.jpg.836b641644ac2b712bc10d349774dd35.jpg

Another tree down,  I've seen few like this, it looks rotten so I'm surprised it's not gone before. 

21 hours ago, Mice! said:

I was out again this morning,  I arrived at 6:15 and it was already pretty light, straight in under my brolley and out of sight, so nice being set ready, and by 6:30 it could have been midday in the wood. Pigeons everywhere?

Screenshot_20220309-180621_Gallery.jpg.005744c29db4a7e4084665ee2c34e321.jpg

Yesterday's sunrise,  today it was just light!

I didn't have to wait long about 6:50 a squirrel appeared on the feeder tree, went up and down then straight to the flip top, took something and sat facing me, Pfft Whack drop. The strange thing was a blackbird came and sat by the dropped squirrel for maybe 5 minutes?

Twenty minutes later and I spotted another further back from the feeder but something spooked it and it went back up into the canopy,  followed by a cock pheasant coming in along the ground. 

Ten minutes after this and another squirrel is on the feeder tree, it looked at the dead squirrel then went to the flip top,  same result.

Screenshot_20220309-180602_Gallery.jpg.c04eed1ded2fd984c6713bebfbee1369.jpg

As they landed.

Screenshot_20220309-180548_Gallery.jpg.2b1963bfa12133109de8e38e159ebd05.jpg

Male and female,  the male looked very unhealthy,  fur missing and very thin, ribs showing, very unlike any squirrels I normally get here.

Screenshot_20220309-183143_Gallery.jpg.5e8474429f9e4d952a4e6bd103d82ca7.jpg

7:40 ish, like a summers day, the wind had been blowing but not in the wood just outside,  there's a dead tree that had been rattling the whole time, it might have to go.

Nothing else showed so I packed up to head back to the wood I was at yesterday,  when I set up I realised I was missing a magazine!!

Screenshot_20220309-180528_Gallery.jpg.65802d9a5d1ffa759badb6a042425c0a.jpg

And there it is, that's a relief. 

I had a walk through the wood and saw nothing,  not a squirrel anywhere on a sunny morning. 

Screenshot_20220309-180512_Gallery.jpg.836b641644ac2b712bc10d349774dd35.jpg

Another tree down,  I've seen few like this, it looks rotten so I'm surprised it's not gone before. 

Nice still no activity down here though trigger fingers getting itchy 

Short but sweet today, I haven't been up to big wood for 3 weeks, I've been working short weeks and the weather was bad when I could have, should have gone.
So no surprise that the feeders were very empty.
I topped up, sat for half an hour listening to the birds then went walk about. Within twenty minutes the birds were on the feeder :)

I wasn't expecting to see much, there were a few deer about, plenty of birds then a squirrel, wait two, playing kiss chase.
The problem was they were at the top of a pretty decent slope in the trees!

I didn't wait long, gun out but no chance of a shot, so up I went, full mountain goat mode :facepalm:
I looked about but saw nothing, got to a flat point, sticks up looked again and nothing, I kind of expected it really, then a grey flash, thermal up and there in the Yew, then another flash of grey and one is gone away to the left.
I was moving left and right trying to get a clear shot with no joy when out he popped, high up in an oak, I didn't think he was going to hang around, there was a thin branch across the face covering ear to nose, which your bound to clip unless you aim for it, so a neck shot, PFFT wet thud and the squirrel dropped like a stone.

Screenshot_20220310-101525_Gallery.jpg.5a0608f7e95d67bd5e482246bc8f5738.jpg

A most satisfying single. No chance without the sticks and thermal, with the .177 R10 on the money.
I walked for another hour and saw another squirrel but it melted away.
I'll be glad when the buds start up here, it will get the squirrels off the deck where I can see them.

1 hour ago, old man said:

Out again this morning, same as Tuesday, cold blustery wind in face and no tree rats seen. Feeders half empty.

It's been lovely up here this week.

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Nice still no activity down here though trigger fingers getting itchy 

I'm expecting the females are holed up waiting on young,  have you had a camera up at all?

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Short but sweet today, I haven't been up to big wood for 3 weeks, I've been working short weeks and the weather was bad when I could have, should have gone.
So no surprise that the feeders were very empty.
I topped up, sat for half an hour listening to the birds then went walk about. Within twenty minutes the birds were on the feeder :)

I wasn't expecting to see much, there were a few deer about, plenty of birds then a squirrel, wait two, playing kiss chase.
The problem was they were at the top of a pretty decent slope in the trees!

I didn't wait long, gun out but no chance of a shot, so up I went, full mountain goat mode :facepalm:
I looked about but saw nothing, got to a flat point, sticks up looked again and nothing, I kind of expected it really, then a grey flash, thermal up and there in the Yew, then another flash of grey and one is gone away to the left.
I was moving left and right trying to get a clear shot with no joy when out he popped, high up in an oak, I didn't think he was going to hang around, there was a thin branch across the face covering ear to nose, which your bound to clip unless you aim for it, so a neck shot, PFFT wet thud and the squirrel dropped like a stone.

Screenshot_20220310-101525_Gallery.jpg.5a0608f7e95d67bd5e482246bc8f5738.jpg

A most satisfying single. No chance without the sticks and thermal, with the .177 R10 on the money.
I walked for another hour and saw another squirrel but it melted away.
I'll be glad when the buds start up here, it will get the squirrels off the deck where I can see them.

It's been lovely up here this week.

I'm expecting the females are holed up waiting on young,  have you had a camera up at all?

Going to put one up this weekend 

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2022 at 18:52, Walker570 said:

GameKeep    £35 a tub but it last a long time.  Used to add some cooking oil but it now has something added which makes it stick to the grain.  Seems to work.

Do you usually use this as is in feeders or mix it it in with other birdseed etc? Just interested in what others use successfully. I have just bought the bags of wild bird seed & peanuts from B&M`s mixed together & it seems to get everything feeding there, but if there is a better or lower cost alternative It would be good to see what other use.

Peanuts are not cheap.  I am fortunate I have a concrete mixer sat in my shed and can tip a whole bag of whole maize, a small bucket full of black sunflower seeds and a few handfuls of peanuts. I then pour a half litre of cheap cooking oil on it and run the mixer. The result a mix of feed the squirrels enjoy and also becaue my flip tops have 3/8th holes by the 'landing stage' they can come and help themselves as well acting as decoys. Tree rats soon learn to lift the lid.

Peanuts avg £45 a 25kg bag    Whole maize around £8 and it does the job.  Kibbled maize or small seed is not good because you need the squirrel to have something large enough they have to sit and nibble long enough for the pellet to arrive and not keep bobbing up and down for another small morsel.

Hope this helps....keep whacking and stacking.

Hah!!!   missed the important bits... additive....a goodly scoop...large cup full of GameKeep before the oil.

Edited by Walker570

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Peanuts are not cheap.  I am fortunate I have a concrete mixer sat in my shed and can tip a whole bag of whole maize, a small bucket full of black sunflower seeds and a few handfuls of peanuts. I then pour a half litre of cheap cooking oil on it and run the mixer. The result a mix of feed the squirrels enjoy and also becaue my flip tops have 3/8th holes by the 'landing stage' they can come and help themselves as well acting as decoys. Tree rats soon learn to lift the lid.

Peanuts avg £45 a 25kg bag    Whole maize around £8 and it does the job.  Kibbled maize or small seed is not good because you need the squirrel to have something large enough they have to sit and nibble long enough for the pellet to arrive and not keep bobbing up and down for another small morsel.

Hope this helps....keep whacking and stacking.

Hah!!!   missed the important bits... additive....a goodly scoop...large cup full of GameKeep before the oil.

Thanks for that info. I do the mix of the smaller bird seed,as It is the only feeder I have up at present. I don`t mind feeding all the other small visitors to the feeder as well as they are a joy to watch & knocking off the squirrels is a bonus. Maybe I should make the effort for 2 separate feed stations.

30 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Thanks for that info. I do the mix of the smaller bird seed,as It is the only feeder I have up at present. I don`t mind feeding all the other small visitors to the feeder as well as they are a joy to watch & knocking off the squirrels is a bonus. Maybe I should make the effort for 2 separate feed stations.

Screenshot_20220127-181249_Gallery.jpg.92bbfd1c6c1643e5e3d066ac1d810ceb.jpg

Open on the left, semi open on the right.

Flip tops work and with the front access holes small birds can get some as well although I do have the occasonal hen pheasant that has a peck at the holes. I see a 'pole' leaning against the tree. Beware this is also a good access for smooth tailed rats as well. Squirrels will have no problem accessing either of those feeders.  Don't know where your based but could knock you a flip top up in an hour. I have just acquired free gratis a large supply of suitable tin sheet galvanised.