squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AWESOME they really are a beautiful little creature.

on edit... do I see your using one of thos hex head woodscrews for hold ing the feeder?

I have just started using those because they don't slip and are easy to screw out .  Had a couple stick but my hammer dril soon sorted that problem. very little damage to the tree little more than a woodpecker.

Edited by Walker570

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

AWESOME they really are a beautiful little creature.

on edit... do I see your using one of thos hex head woodscrews for hold ing the feeder?

I have just started using those because they don't slip and are easy to screw out .  Had a couple stick but my hammer dril soon sorted that problem. very little damage to the tree little more than a woodpecker.

Nev, yes I use the frame fixing screws. 7.5mm x 90 or 112mm  depending on bark thickness, the Torx drive in well with the impact driver and as you say easier to withdraw without snapping using the impact driver. No steel left in the tree to damage the chain saw later.

11 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

This is what it is all about, when you see only Red Squirrels on your feeders. This morning..

575C1D7D-C1AF-47A3-A629-3EF73B29B1EC.jpeg

This is why I try to control grey squirrels, to get get them beautiful reds back,

So far after five years of trying, I have succeeded on one 50 acre wood, but little steps.😀

1 minute ago, ratchers said:

This is why I try to control grey squirrels, to get get them beautiful reds back,

So far after five years of trying, I have succeeded on one 50 acre wood, but little steps.😀

This is a 30 acre wood. Also working on a 100 acre wood but not yet seen a Red back, but it’s not so far from this fella, so here’s hoping later this year.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2022 at 16:13, Walker570 said:

Flip tops work and with the front access holes small birds can get some as well although I do have the occasonal hen pheasant that has a peck at the holes. I see a 'pole' leaning against the tree. Beware this is also a good access for smooth tailed rats as well. Squirrels will have no problem accessing either of those feeders.  Don't know where your based but could knock you a flip top up in an hour. I have just acquired free gratis a large supply of suitable tin sheet galvanised.

Hi Walker,

I`m based in Cambridgeshire & if you do have time to knock one up I will cover the postage. Not sure where you are, but you never know I may be driving that way at some point.

Regards,

Daniel.

Big wood this morning,  a full suet block had gone since Thursday when I topped up. 

I saw three, I shot three, two off the feeder and one further up the hill that should have ran off and not thought it could hide.

Two big females and a big buck, I've still not seen any females looking like there ready to give birth.

Screenshot_20220315-095950_Gallery.jpg.c6ab1cb1a6d26efbbdd1b76cdeb035d0.jpg

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Big wood this morning,  a full suet block had gone since Thursday when I topped up. 

I saw three, I shot three, two off the feeder and one further up the hill that should have ran off and not thought it could hide.

Two big females and a big buck, I've still not seen any females looking like there ready to give birth.

Screenshot_20220315-095950_Gallery.jpg.c6ab1cb1a6d26efbbdd1b76cdeb035d0.jpg

Nice going , I spotted one in the oak tree behind our house yesterday afternoon it went the other way , I’ll try and get up the woods tomorrow pm 

Nothing doing this morning,  it was 1°c in the car with a frozen windscreen and grass. 

I was in the wood by 7am, all the usual small birds plus Chaffinches,  then the pheasants arrived followed by a pair of Mallard which was a new one, and something making prehistoric noises?

The roe buck gave 4 or 5 barks from Behind me,  very close by then popped up later for a photo.

Screenshot_20220317-085935_Gallery.jpg.544fd321fc13ddf0d5a0a336f251c58f.jpgScreenshot_20220317-085922_Gallery.jpg.8dcf0890e2a3d8323bbb2d9ebfcf69fd.jpg

Pretty much the only thing I didn't see was any squirrels,  they must have stayed tucked up warm somewhere,  more sense than me.

And the prehistoric noises were a pair of Herons, looks like there building a nest on the edge of the wood, my word can they make some noise.