squirrel control

Mice!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

You've shot 'em all.

There's a few out there still,  the feed was well down. 

I've just got back in, I went up big wood as the sun came out, and saw no squirrels again,  just woodpeckers,  coal, blue and Great tits,  robins, wrens, pigeons and blackbirds,  plus a pair of Jays and a circling buzzard.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Thankfully normal service resumed today 6 Down 4 bores 2 sows 

some big boys in amongst them if you know what I mean 

992D9874-A162-41AB-870D-6A3B21AB8572.jpeg

Good session for you there, I do think things are behind this year, buds on the trees and breeding?

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

Buds in trees and blossom coming  on fruit trees , first kills since January so hopefully breeding done with now 

The catkins are out on the Hazel, I've seen some blossom but 15 females now this year and none have shown signs of having bred or being ready??

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

The catkins are out on the Hazel, I've seen some blossom but 15 females now this year and none have shown signs of having bred or being ready??

I don’t know then , there was plenty of greys running around beginning of Jan looking like they were pairing up a few territorial scraps then nothing not a sight for weeks, until last week my mate took 5 , after he spotted activity in the woods ( he’s in there every few days topping up pheasant feeders ) , but still no sight of any in the woods I walk my dogs around each day !

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Good session for you there, I do think things are behind this year, buds on the trees and breeding?

It's definitely global warming causing it......................

The catkins on my hazels nor on the walnuts have shown any sign of forming as of yet. Still early here in the Midlands.

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It's definitely global warming causing it......................

The catkins on my hazels nor on the walnuts have shown any sign of forming as of yet. Still early here in the Midlands.

I've been on tip runs this afternoon,  the chestnut trees that line the road are all about to burst into leaf, but this is an hour south of where I shoot.

I'd have thought you'd be ahead of us,  certainly strange as it's not been a cold winter. 

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've been on tip runs this afternoon,  the chestnut trees that line the road are all about to burst into leaf, but this is an hour south of where I shoot.

I'd have thought you'd be ahead of us,  certainly strange as it's not been a cold winter. 

That’s where I collect most of my conkers for trapping, yes the Hawthorne is bursting into leaf as well. I think it’s warmer on the west. There’s been a stiff breeze from the east today.

Edited by Fisheruk

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I have a horse chestnut in a pot waiting to be planted and it is in leaf, wherehas the chestnuts down in the wood are only sticky buds at the moment.

On 18/03/2022 at 23:35, Mice! said:

Same for me no signs of lactation, pregnancy or breeding boars? Difficult to understand as plenty of previous signs of potential mating.

Its interesting to me to read about the general lack of grey activity so far, I was thinking it was just my neck of the woods. My last post and last kills, were early January and from that time, I have only had one sighting of a scraggy-looking small grey mooching around the birdfeeders on the 26 Feb and thats been it!

I was out for a wander early this morning and saw nothing of note barring a greater spotted woodpecker, a heron and plenty of deer tracks; not a whiff of a grey and no visible dreys either, which surprised me given the number of the ******* Ive seen in the village. It makes me wonder if there is a particular concentrated area where they nest and then forage out into the village area from, but i will be damned if I can spot it. Maybe April will bring some more into garden.

On 20/03/2022 at 14:32, leakyseals said:

Its interesting to me to read about the general lack of grey activity so far, I was thinking it was just my neck of the woods. My last post and last kills, were early January and from that time, I have only had one sighting of a scraggy-looking small grey mooching around the birdfeeders on the 26 Feb and thats been it!

Same here. Tidied up a few in January, not seen or heard a thing for 6 weeks since. What's happening?

Just a single this morning. 

Screenshot_20220323-141940_Gallery.jpg.1ed2707aea39fad4135ea07f4e99f0d9.jpg

Arrived at ten am, shot him at 10:15. He face planted into the spilt seed, I don't think there are many around as the floor is normally clear and the smaller feeder was still full.

I stayed till 12 bird watching but didn't see any more squirrels. 

And boy was it a warm one, I was melting when I got back to the car.

I suppose we are just being too good at what we do. I am across at the golf course in the morning and have not been there for six weeks due to heavy rain and my Landie being off the road.  The feeders probably empty but at least I can top them up.   It will be interesting to see if any are moving. Plan to be there at 05.30 so crack of dawn and have a couple of hours before the golfers appear.  Watch this space.

Just one recently in the village and non showing in our wood at all. I have three cameras there.

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I suppose we are just being too good at what we do. I am across at the golf course in the morning and have not been there for six weeks due to heavy rain and my Landie being off the road.  The feeders probably empty but at least I can top them up.   It will be interesting to see if any are moving. Plan to be there at 05.30 so crack of dawn and have a couple of hours before the golfers appear.  Watch this space.

Just one recently in the village and non showing in our wood at all. I have three cameras there.

Don’t forget the clocks change tonight, good luck 👍

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

4hours up the wood 1 dead bore only saw 3 others at a distance, what’s going on 

We were out this afternoon in a big park, tame squirrels walking to within 3mtrs, they weren't bothered about us at all,  very different to the woods I'm shooting in. 

But they were on the deck, so they would have been hard to spot.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

We were out this afternoon in a big park, tame squirrels walking to within 3mtrs, they weren't bothered about us at all,  very different to the woods I'm shooting in. 

But they were on the deck, so they would have been hard to spot.

Mates been up there since first light and nothing 

13 hours ago, sam triple said:

Don’t forget the clocks change tonight, good luck 👍

Yeh. We forgot about that didn't we and now my wife is rascing to Church to play the organ at 10am

Anyway arrived just as light coming up and sat for an hour and a half and nothing, not a sign. Topped up the flip top which I knew would be empty and then checked the others which had been used but still plenty in.  Not a single tree rat seen on the entire golf course when normally at leat a half dozen run into the gardens. I have only shot 50 there so certain I have not wiped them out.  Strange.   All nice fresh feed so will have another look next Sunday.

Was out yesterday afternoon to the sydicates wood and the feeder was empty from getting topped up a week before.After about an hour listening to the song birds I hear a noise behind me and a grey appears from my left heading towards the feeder, it stops for a drink which may or may not have saved its life, as another squirrel is on the feeder,it doesn't enjoy the peanuts for long,I look round for the other grey but gone,hey ho never mind. Five minutes later theres another grey on the box,was it the first one,probably,it joins its mate at the bottom.I was quite satisfied with two as its been very quiet,even the birds have been silent,maybe the sun brought them out.