Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 31/05/2022 at 17:11, Walker570 said:

I have a couple similar but my main hides are converted IBCs.  If I need to move them I can simply role them onto my trailer or pick them up with the front end loader.  I cut the plastic barrel and lift it about a foot which then makes a waterproof lid and sides.  Nothing like being warm and comfortable. Old plastic garden chair and your good to go.  I put a shelf across the front so my rifle sits there ready.

Any picture's

?

I was a man with a plan this week, two days overtime meant I could shoot twice, only the weather was terrible Wednesday so I only got to shoot this morning. 

I was in the woods at 10pm Monday night filling the feeders, put out a fresh suet block but not many nuts/sunflower seeds because I won't be able to shoot for a couple of weeks,  so topped up with the cheap stuff.

I arrived in the woods this morning around 650am, and there was a squirrel sat on the feeder, but it wasn't lifting the lid or sitting up? It was head down rooting about?
I had to wait till it turned,  then a bird did a flash by making it sit up, Pfft Whack #1 down 

I waited around an hour then before the next squirrel came along, but while I watched the birds put on quite a show, the Jays were in and out on the suet, Great tits were back and forth, Nuthatch's flitting about, but I had a woodpecker feeding two chicks which was brilliant. 

What was funny was the Jays were trying to flush the woodpeckers away,  the chicks would scatter but the parent just sat there not bothered at all.

It was the squirrel coming down the trunk that moved woody, straight onto the feeder, lid up and I could see that all the nuts and sunflower seeds were gone!! The squirrel didn't look happy, changed feeders and sat up facing me, Pfft Whack #2

I watched it twitch as you do, looked up and there was another looking down at #2, I find working the bolt so natural that I was already reloaded without thinking,  I put the cross hair on him, Pfft Whack #3 rolled off the feeder.

I sat up, the birds came straight back in, with the Jay grabbing the last bit of suet and flying off, a full block gone in days.

Not 5 mins and a fourth squirrel came along the ground, sniffed at a dead one and paused unsure side on, Pfft Whack #4 went down the hill.
Screenshot_20220609-155754_Gallery.jpg.59ee0be3f5e4352daa6ddae7af68a097.jpg
Bad photo  utility zoom in and you can make out two woodpeckers. 
Screenshot_20220609-155739_Gallery.jpg.d6be6775b4ce06851ced2955f06cc389.jpg
Line up for the morning,  two bucks, two does, all covered in ticks!!

4 hours ago, Mice! said:
I was a man with a plan this week, two days overtime meant I could shoot twice, only the weather was terrible Wednesday so I only got to shoot this morning. 

I was in the woods at 10pm Monday night filling the feeders, put out a fresh suet block but not many nuts/sunflower seeds because I won't be able to shoot for a couple of weeks,  so topped up with the cheap stuff.

I arrived in the woods this morning around 650am, and there was a squirrel sat on the feeder, but it wasn't lifting the lid or sitting up? It was head down rooting about?
I had to wait till it turned,  then a bird did a flash by making it sit up, Pfft Whack #1 down 

I waited around an hour then before the next squirrel came along, but while I watched the birds put on quite a show, the Jays were in and out on the suet, Great tits were back and forth, Nuthatch's flitting about, but I had a woodpecker feeding two chicks which was brilliant. 

What was funny was the Jays were trying to flush the woodpeckers away,  the chicks would scatter but the parent just sat there not bothered at all.

It was the squirrel coming down the trunk that moved woody, straight onto the feeder, lid up and I could see that all the nuts and sunflower seeds were gone!! The squirrel didn't look happy, changed feeders and sat up facing me, Pfft Whack #2

I watched it twitch as you do, looked up and there was another looking down at #2, I find working the bolt so natural that I was already reloaded without thinking,  I put the cross hair on him, Pfft Whack #3 rolled off the feeder.

I sat up, the birds came straight back in, with the Jay grabbing the last bit of suet and flying off, a full block gone in days.

Not 5 mins and a fourth squirrel came along the ground, sniffed at a dead one and paused unsure side on, Pfft Whack #4 went down the hill.
Screenshot_20220609-155754_Gallery.jpg.59ee0be3f5e4352daa6ddae7af68a097.jpg
Bad photo  utility zoom in and you can make out two woodpeckers. 
Screenshot_20220609-155739_Gallery.jpg.d6be6775b4ce06851ced2955f06cc389.jpg
Line up for the morning,  two bucks, two does, all covered in ticks!!

Well done not been out since last Friday weathers been awful down here hopefully Saturday morning 

Its been a busy couple of days and the 'drought' of greys is definitely over!

3 on the 12th and 4 today, active from 5am until 8pm, I took 5 mature males and 2 mature, lactating females, all live trapped. Only the last of the females was a bit of a runt and crawling with fleas, the others were all prime specimens.

Ive another 2 days off work, so I will see what they bring 

Was out yeserday mainly just to check the feeder as I have seen very few greys about recently. Got to my destination and open the car door and theres a grey swinging about in a tree,gone by the time I was sorted,topped the feeder up which was empty so hopefully there back on it. Went for a wander through the wood and saw onw other squirrel away in the treetops, raining today so back at the weekend.

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Another 4 this am 

Not sure how long your platform is on your feeders, but I've noticed the squirrels are often sat facing away from you, if you shorten the platform they'll sit nicely side on.

Just now, Mice! said:

Not sure how long your platform is on your feeders, but I've noticed the squirrels are often sat facing away from you, if you shorten the platform they'll sit nicely side on.

👍 cheers, probably won’t be up there for another week now I’ll have to write myself a reminder to take a saw with me next time 

I've not been able to get out much this month because of my shifts, but I've kept the feeders ticking over, so put in a few hours holiday this morning and headed for the woods.

Annoyingly it rained hard last night, so the wood was like pea soup this morning, I was sure the squirrels would stay in bed but you just never know.

Usual procedure with the gun out ready as I made my way to the bottom of the bank, quick peak with the thermal showed a squirrel through the branches, so standing sticks up, and move left a touch, the squirrel facing away slightly eating happily,  settled myself and put the cross hair on his jaw line below the ear, knowing the pellet would go up and out.

Watched him take another nut then PFFT WHACK  and it did the thriller pose as it toppled off the platform. 

I moved up and past then, checking he was down and still, sat down and spent two hours bird watching, a Jay was in and out, few robins and tits but there was a constant stream of Nuthatch's I've never seen so many.

I didn't even give it the regulation extra ten mins, 8:30 arrived and I was up and packing up,  having not seen any signs of another squirrel and knowing I had to get to work. 

But time in the woods is always better than time in work 😉

Screenshot_20220630-115527_Gallery.jpg.8e6f147a4efaa620422ff321fbabc231.jpg