squirrel control

Mice!

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Looking at the weather on the news last night, I think water will play a part as well Nev, my sister commented on how green my grass was in a photo this week, while around her (down your way) it's brown.

Folk have commented on putting out water near your feeders,  but I wouldn't expect the squirrels to travel far from a food source with water, except for the likes of Walnuts maybe.

Still green and lush oop North though 😁

Saved me getting up early 😃

Added a small water container this morning not just for squirrels but to help the birds out too as well as filling the pheasant drinkers even though we’ve got no birds this season and a small water trough to help the other animals out 

06968331-C0E3-48CD-AE54-037ABB7662BF.jpeg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Mice! said:

Do you not use a camera? Priceless at this time of year. 

I topped up the feeder at strip wood Wednesday night and put up a camera, we all know it's quiet on the squirrels in August plus I've not been to this feeder since the first of June, there are almost no squirrels being seen by the land owners so I just keep dropping in occasionally.

My plan was check the camera this evening, see if it's worth shooting in the morning, not a lot of point sitting at a feeder you know isn't being used.

Well I arrived, walked in without a care and the sun in my eyes, to see a squirrel jump off the floor up the feeder tree, but not very far, then sat watching me twitching it's tail.

As the car was only maybe 50mtrs away it would have been rude to not go and get the gun.
Pop the boot, load a mag, back into the wood and the squirrel is back on the deck, with the sun shining almost right at me!!

It was constantly moving around taking bits of seed, I put some grains and sunflower seeds on the log but the good stuff had gone, I rested on a tree and waited.
It was completely ignoring me, then finally went up onto the feeder, but didn't know how to lift the lid, so messed for a while getting seeds from the gap, each time it leaned head down, fumbled then sat back up on the lid, once, twice, I shot on the third.
Solid WHACK, dropped to the floor and did some leg twitching.
Young male in great condition with unusual colouring, it had looked especially unusual with the evening sun shining at him.

Screenshot_20220812-205052_Gallery.jpg.037d36240f73913091115901df1abdc9.jpgScreenshot_20220812-205159_Gallery.jpg.5e8b7cf7f89b8b67c9dbaa609d75d1b5.jpg

Strange colours on the throat and head.

I then checked the camera and had very few images, only one squirrel showing and more Jays, so with my beers in the car getting warm I decided to head off and give the feeder another couple of weeks.

this is the sunrise that would have greeted me.

Screenshot_20220812-205213_Gallery.jpg.32692be343c8b3538559991d588ddc06.jpg

Nice report and result bud but in answer to your question , no.

It wouldn't be around for long due to public access.

1 hour ago, old man said:

Nice report and result bud but in answer to your question , no.

It wouldn't be around for long due to public access.

Fair enough,  I bought two mini cameras so I could hide them easily,  but they aren't very clear unless on the laptop. 

The one I bought years ago is still going strong despite the clasps having snapped off.

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Fair enough,  I bought two mini cameras so I could hide them easily,  but they aren't very clear unless on the laptop. 

The one I bought years ago is still going strong despite the clasps having snapped off.

Would be virtually impossible to hide here in this openish woodland setting. Amazed my feeders stay put.

Not had a single visit on the garden feeder (experimental) from resident squirrels locally during the recent very hot spell, until this morning after the shower last night.Usually two or three sometimes once or twice a day.

Like me it must have been too hot for them.

We've just been away for a week, the day we left just hooked up the caravan and a squirrel arrived in the garden 😀 it'll be back.

Not around a lot of woodland but didn't see a live squirrel all week, or rabbit, saw road kill, over near Filey on the East Coast, lovely week 😀 

There is little doubt in my mind the efforts of myself and a neighbour have made a big reduction in tree rats in this village this year. However, speaking with another village resident at the other end she still has a fair number raider her bird tables so way to go yet.  I did whack a couple this morning as they harvested the hazel nuts and I believe there is a third which has come in this week but no damage to my walnut trees yet.  see my previous about having 24 in the same period last year.

Hello, as a side note did anyone see the BBC interview with Pam Ayers this morning? , her take on the grey squirrel being persecuted ?? , Seem her new programme on tomorrow is all things on the Cotswolds , is this another well known personality becoming a expert on country matters, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Well here was I thinking I had numbers under control and then had at least five come from all directions this mirning and managed to shoot three although they just would not sit still, chasing about on the floor and through the trees.

A sudden influx, mostly youngsters.   They are not that interested in food, ignoring the bird food and flip top, occasionally picking up a nut and then going to bury it which gave me one chance this morning the other two at about 12ft just paused enough for a rib shot, so close trying to judge not shooting low was a problem in a split second.  Out again at daybreak in the morning. These all came scampering out at 07.00 like someone had rung a bell.

Edited by Walker570

@Walker570 I had three run into my garden in the same manner yesterday,  1 came up to the patio doors then down the side of the house, the other two ran around and away then a few minutes later the other reappeared and followed them, it was like a drive by mickey take. 

No signs this morning,  just lots and lots of birds.

The word locally is that they have started their dispersal of young and are definitely on the move. Several trapped and shot this week by friends around here. The cast comes off my leg this week, then down to the Welsh Game Fair, with the Grey Area and British Red Squirrel. Then back out on the squirrels before too long.