Mice!

squirrel control

Well it's absolutely hissing down and the last thing I expected was tufty out foraging, but no, movement in the bushes and hey presto a very bedraggled looking squirrel making it's way across to the bird table.

TX200 removed from the cabinet, slowly open the kitchen window enough to focus on it and another one bites the dust, or mud on this occasion.

Well now that's a first for me - I actually saw a Squirrel fall out of a Tree this morning - fair way up, I had just disturbed him feeding when he shot up a tallish Ash then attempted to jump onto the Oak where they seem to live - SNAP and the branch fell along with hapless Nutty - lovely hollow thump as he hit the deck, followed closely by said branch, then he simply bolted back up the Tree non the worse for the experience. 

They are unvelievably tough and as I have said before, glad they don't grow to lab size.

Out this morning , high wind and cold but had one come to the flip top, saw one other but it vanished up a tree and never came back down. Had a bonus jay.

This afternoon I have set up a new hide and pheasant feeder in a small copse set between two large oak woods. Looks like good tree rat country.  Will let it sit for a few days and then have an early morning visit.  As can be seen the copse is made up of very large old oaks surrounded by holly.  The hide is tucked in on the left of the photo giving me a 15yrds shot to the feeder..

007.jpg

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Well now that's a first for me - I actually saw a Squirrel fall out of a Tree this morning

Wife and kids were walking along the river and one fell out in front of them, little lad shot it apparently 😉 

I haven’t seen a squirrel fall but I saw one glide the other week, just like a flying squirrel. It had no option, it had just run out of branches whilst being chased by 28grm of lead.... 

It lived to tell the tale, but I’ll get it next time (unless it grows wings).

Well what a frustrating weekend - there's Squirrels everywhere downt t woods but scarcely any on the feeders - I stood and watched 10+ running around in front of me this morning before spending near 2 hours traipsing around the feeders trying to find one feeding. Just sent a txt to the woodland manager and he's going to fill the Hopper in the busiest area with Peanuts to see if we can tempt them in - with colder weather forecast I'm hoping next weekend will be more productive - shot just 3 in over 4 hours these last 2 days.....not good :sad1:.  

The third one showed up again today, and as I spotted it before the Scotties did, I sent it on its way.