squirrel control

Mice!

Great to see your post Mice. Yes we have to be careful about public perception.

Static shooting onto feeders is the way to go. As the natural food becomes scarce then they will readily come to feeders. 

I agree the dark mornings up north make for very short periods of opportunity at this time of the year and the leaf fall makes it more difficult to conceal yourself.

Remember; it is movement which is the most noticeable thing and therefore if you are sitting still in line of sight of a couple of feeders you have more chance to see Squirrels and less chance of being spotted by dog walkers and joggers.

In the summer months the timescale is much better, you can get out in the woods a couple of hours before the public are about.

Its a year long job, if you give them some slack they will take advantage of it. Keep at em.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's where a pop up blind works so well. I have the Bushwear T Pee and it comfortably sits two people. I have a folding table and a box just the right height for my air rifles to rest on at the ready.   Hopefully my wife will kill her first squirrel this weekend with the AA S200.  The 200yrd ride we will be covering was just a grey shimmering mass of tree rats last March, around the half dozen pheasant feeders.   In between flattening tree rats, there is so much more to see and enjoy, three /four hours just flies by.

We'll I popped in this morning after work, the intension being to shoot some rats, actual rats. Half 8 till 9 nothing but birds, its surprising how much a dunnock robin blackbird or wren looks like a rat when your looking for movement, being entertained by a greater spotted woodpecker. Just after 9 folk start arriving, bit of noise and out pops a rat? It's like they have got used to the sound of people meaning food. One rat shot and had to pack up.

went into the woods later than normal just to top up the feeders and sat there watching possibly the reddest grey squirrel I've seen, up in the pines with the morning sunshine on him, slightly fluffy ears munching on a pinecone, watched him through the scope for probably ten mins but just wasn't a hundred percent red or grey, so home I went.

Should that not be :yahoo:there obviously travelling in from elsewhere to your feeder, happy hunting.

36 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Over the last month I have shot 8 from the little copse that I mentioned earlier - TXT from the grounds Manager last night to say the feeder is crawling with them again :no:

I'll bet those gardens have got bird feeders in them, I've got quite a bit of woodlands behind me on both sides of a small river which the squirrels can easily cross. I had another female this afternoon but I also walked the river bank on the way home from school so about 3:25pm and didn't see a squirrel, would normally expect to see a few running along fences at the back of the gardens.

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I have discussed this abundance of Squirrels constantly in this small copse with the Grounds Manager and it's actually a bit of a mystery - nearest woodland is 1/4 mile away over a very busy A road and the Wood has houses along 2 of it's sides - it's quite an Industrial area. 

so I imagine they will move a fair distance if they know there us food available.

My small 10 acre wood is surrounded by open fields with fairly thick hedges. We like to think it is squirrel free but every now and then we get one or two intruders and they always appear from one of three different points two on the eastern side link with hedges which run 50yrds to a brook with bushes and trees along it's banks and the third is adjacent to the village where there is a three acre wood which is crawling and the stupid woman feeds them.  They almost always seem to be in groups, large male, large female and one or two followers.  I stand corrected but believe they are fairly territorial so maybe these incomers are being pushed out to find new areas of their own.   They will travel considerable distances and when sat in one of my cabins I have seen a squirrel appear at the bottom of a two hundred yard ride and be within air rifle range with less than a minute or so on it's way to a feeder.

At least the situation gives me an easy opportunity as there's only one feeder in the copse but over the last few days I have noticed that, although there are often Squirrels on the feeder as I approach, they are very skittish and jump to the floor much more readily than on previous occasions - it also seems to be taking longer for them to return so maybe I've had this years crop of stupid ones? Shot just 3 yesterday on 3 separate feeders in just over an hour - one was just about the biggest so far this year, he was sitting face on  above the feeder and I could not see his head enough for a headshot so I tried to shoot him under the chin and up into his head - hands up I miss calculated and the pellet struck a little low hitting him in the throat but I have never seen such an effective shot as he did not even flinch as he slumped forwards.

After a chat with SuburbanShooter, I put up a feeder in my garden and have been taking down a squizzer whenever I get to work from home and at the week-ends. Had 2 this morning. One big old male that stormed in; needed a follow up shot to finish him. Then a female that was much more coy and smarter in her approach to the feeder. However she was bowled over with a single shot to the head.

The garden these days is flooded with smaller birds like tits. You really notice the difference. In fact, the absence of the little birds is the first indicator that there is a squizzer around.

own up DC what calibre were you using?

I've certainly noticed a big difference in how long the smaller birds and thrushes spend on and around the feeders in my garden without being disturbed by squirrels, I'm also getting pictures of foxes taking the squirrels off the river bank on my trail camera ?

Walker, I don't think squirrels are territorial as we see loads quite happily feeding together in parks but I do think they probably chase there own young away so they spread out, then I think of meerkats and how they spread out searching for food?

.22 :)

Male squizzers are definitely territorial. Some days there are 2 or 3 barking from the trees marking out their territory. The females seem to slip through from one area to another without a sound.

1 hour ago, DC177 said:

.22 :)

Male squizzers are definitely territorial. Some days there are 2 or 3 barking from the trees marking out their territory. The females seem to slip through from one area to another without a sound.

I was expecting you to say .177 ?

I know what you mean about them barking at each other but when you can count 7 or 8 all milling around happily it makes me wonder, unless that is down to there being lots of food available so they all play nice?

I was woken up to the sound of Blue Tits tweeting this morning. Doesn't it make nice change? Then it went quiet. Sure enough, another squizzer was around the feeder. Took her down with the .22 again.

I know what you mean, Mice. During the autumn there is tons of food around and they are all too busy to fight. Now it's cold, the males are in defence mode!

I was out this morning waiting for it to come light after working night shift, I had two squirrels run past me first was still to dark to say red or grey but very small, second was definitely grey, I at least know my face veil works because they didn't change direction or care that I was there they just kept going. Ended up seeing 5 but none gave the chance of a shot, the feeders were all empty over the weekend but one of the other fellas topped them up, they weren't for coming down today though.

whilst in the woods I had blackbirds sat looking at me a Jay nearly landed on me and a buzzard glided through the pines which was like everything had been switched off, just silence.

I get home and there is one sat outside under my bird feeders!! On the brighter side I didn't get rained on and it was a beautiful morning ? 

Out again this morning bit later than planned and saw one squirrel scarper from the first feeder, rifle wasn't out yet so no chance on that one.

walking through the woods watching a pair of sparrow hawks working the tree canopy, never seen two working together before it was quite a sight.

come up to feeder two and its empty!! Ditched my gear and moved along when I hear a right racket, I'm thinking"human" I move round a tree so as not to give anyone a fright when I hear the noise again then see two squirrels chasing each other up and down a pine tree, its there claws making the noise!!

move a bit closer but they've vanished, then there both going over me on different sides , don't act like they know I'm there one heads towards the empty feeder, other heads away, then comes back the same way with a pine cone in its mouth, why it was coming back I've no idea but it was a mistake, one down.

wait around but the other doesn't show so I move on to check the other feeders, both half full when I see movement up in the tree tops, another squirrel sat quite happily chewing a pine cone, almost covered by twigs except her chest and throat, leaning against a tree scopes saying its only about 25mtr turn up the mag to 14, can only hit the squirrel or surrounding branches number two down, seemed to fall for a long time!! Funny how they seem further away when your looking up.

saw a single sparrow hawk as I walked round filling the feeders and a tiny little tree creeper, it was very warm out today midges about in December.

Another nice morning to be out, was really happy with the shot up in the pine, saw some nice wildlife and two less females breeding next year, happy chap and I'm back again Monday.

Mice!WP_20171206_09_42_13_Pro.jpg.87f8c627b06bc8b1bdbe64619f447b91.jpg

I find that, if a Squirrel is on a feeder when you first arrive, it's often best to find a shooting point asap, moving quietly and wait a couple of minutes - they often return quite promptly. Been back in the little copse last couple of days - yesterday I shot 2 and then another 3 today before moving into the main wood. Got home around 2:45 and sent the Grounds Manager my score sheet for the week so far - just got a TXT back saying he has just filled the feeder in said copse and there were 2 Squirrels on it as he arrived - getting beyond a joke :no:. Odd that you should mention midges, Mice, I'm normally avoided by biting insects but one tried to bite my hand today!

Edited by bruno22rf