squirrel control

Mice!

1 hour ago, Longbower said:

In our woods (Archery Club) we were setting out the course for this weekends competition, and it was literally 'raining' beech nut kernels .

When all my fellow members had gone home , I checked the zero on my Ruger 10/22,, and waited underneath the trees until they came to the 

floor. One actually fell to the floor in front of me.  

Bagged 5 in an hour.:good:😎

nice shooting 👏👏 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/red-squirrel-awareness-week-2018/

Red squirrels awareness week is coming up, I realise that a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have reds nearby, so try and make an extra effort on the grey squirrels instead .

Me and my family enjoyed the afternoon yesterday at Formby, while there were loads more rabbits about than squirrels, counted 40-50 healthy looking bunnies out in the open without a care they must be so used to people being about, the reds were there to be seen, I'm quite sure you could hand feed them they were so used to people being about.

Some were up in the pines as they should be stripping the cones, and you could see they had been busy by the debris on the ground, others were hoping about on the ground where someone had thrown some monkey nuts, the squirrels happily came within a few feet, my pictures aren't great but I'm sure you'll get the idea.WP_20180909_17_42_44_Pro.jpg.045557e51b3da658fec1d380d53687f2.jpg

This picture you will have to hunt a little the good thing was my daughter found it with the binoculars which is a first

WP_20180909_17_30_24_Pro.jpg.d56b823479cab13b6015a41da86c2506.jpg

So we had a great afternoon saw some red squirrels, rabbits, fungi played in the woods and on the beach, had an ice cream and there is a fantastic chippy near the train station, what more could you want.

WP_20180909_17_43_29_Pro.jpg.05c16f20e16bc5a2d3e9c43655e92cae.jpg

I have a sweet chestnut alongside a Kentish Cob nut in my orchard and to my knowledge they have never taken the nuts from the tree but when they fall and split open I have seen some interest but they prefer the cobs(hazel) or my walnuts which are also close by. They don't normally live long enough to enjoy either though. 3 again yesterday.

Super photos, you are so lucky.

Edited by Walker570

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have hazel nut and sweet chesnut trees in the garden and thought that I had cleared all of the squirrels. Looks like they have had the hazel nuts will they also take the sweet chesnuts?

They take the sweet chestnuts in the park near me, and normal conkers.

cheers Walker, got lucky with a few shots, most were moving or too far for the phone really.

32 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Well the call to Arms came out of the blue today - Feeders up just a few days in one particular wood and already attracting squizzers  - Tally Ho :yahoo:.

With which projectile 😁 i had two on the lawn this week while the mother in law and niece were here!! Not a thing I could do, they'll be back.

We need to shoot tree rats to preserve a lot of other wildlife as well but I noticed Packaham never mentioned grey squirrel control or even badger control in his new initiative to save British Wildlife. 

Just set up two new flip top feeders on a new area and a camera on both. The first camera revealed three at once on the pheasant feeder beneath the flip top in just 24hrs. PROMISING!!!

Two ran off from the other flip top as I went in to set the camera. I'll give them another 48hrs to get used to the hides etc., but looks like they couldn't care less anyway.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

We need to shoot tree rats to preserve a lot of other wildlife as well but I noticed Packaham never mentioned grey squirrel control or even badger

Just watching the program now, Packham just said that badgers eat hedgehogs and are having an effect on their numbers, prof is from 2011

Wife spotted one in my copse which went to the horse chesnut tree. Out with the thermal and after a few shots chasing it about in the tree it made a desperate jump to the neighbouring tree. It lingered too long on the main trunk and I dropped it to the ditch where charlie retrieved it. No hiding from the thermal :lol: and sweet chesnuts still in place. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Just watching the program now, Packham just said that badgers eat hedgehogs and are having an effect on their numbers, prof is from 2011

Good. I had not seen the program and was going from the write up and report in the Telegraph a week ago.  I have neighbours here who are having bird feeders wrecked with tree rats and I suggest they buy an air rifle or invite me round for tea :good:

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We need to shoot tree rats to preserve a lot of other wildlife as well but I noticed Packaham never mentioned grey squirrel control or even badger control in his new initiative to save British Wildlife. 

Just set up two new flip top feeders on a new area and a camera on both. The first camera revealed three at once on the pheasant feeder beneath the flip top in just 24hrs. PROMISING!!!

Two ran off from the other flip top as I went in to set the camera. I'll give them another 48hrs to get used to the hides etc., but looks like they couldn't care less anyway.

Your mention of Badger control made me smile, l was out last night and it was like the first day of the sales at Harrods, Badgers coming into the area in droves and not a thing can be done about them.

But of course they are not harmful to other wildlife.

Frustrated at the moment as my computer has been re jigged..new hard drive and somewhere my guru has lost my normal picture handling program so i can't resize. Yes I know there are ways to do it but this was avery simple program.    I have some photos of one new set up and within hours of me leaving the site There where pictures of tree rats feeding on the floor and in the trees.  I really did not need the flip top there as the farmer tips his waste brushings in a pile alongside a pheasant feeder but every little helps.  Cannot wait to get stuck into them.

There is little doubt the law needs re drawing on badgers as the damage they are doing is very plain to see.  I have at least a dozen bumble bee nests dug up in my 10 acre wood this year and although I had 18-20 hen pheasants in early spring I have not seen one poult.  My trail cams always include three or four badgers hunting the wood every night.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Frustrated at the moment as my computer has been re jigged..new hard drive and somewhere my guru has lost my normal picture handling program so i can't resize. Yes I know there are ways to do it but this was avery simple program.    I have some photos of one new set up and within hours of me leaving the site There where pictures of tree rats feeding on the floor and in the trees.  I really did not need the flip top there as the farmer tips his waste brushings in a pile alongside a pheasant feeder but every little helps.  Cannot wait to get stuck into them.

There is little doubt the law needs re drawing on badgers as the damage they are doing is very plain to see.  I have at least a dozen bumble bee nests dug up in my 10 acre wood this year and although I had 18-20 hen pheasants in early spring I have not seen one poult.  My trail cams always include three or four badgers hunting the wood every night.

3 or 4 would have been the start of the party last night, someone must have forgotten their Spaceface friends only page as l gave up counting after the first 10 minutes and moved on to another area, but that's another story.

Keep on with the squirrel control.

The little grey devils are turning up in droves on our chestnut trees at the club .

We bagged 13 between us yesterday , and I got 5  out of the tree tops today.

Badgers , have taken every last hedgehog on the farm and the neighboring golf course . Many empty hedgehog  husk s about.

The remnants of a lamb outside a set.  N rabbits , just lots and lots of badgers . We counted 14 individuals 

Interesting fact below ; 

Home office requirements for culling badgers : Minimum 38 grain bullet and 160 ft/lbs of energy.  

.22rf CCI Velocitors 40 grain @183ft/lbs!    the very caliber that's said  not powerful enough to shoot a fox?????