squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how has everyone done this year numbers wise, I've shot more but I'm shooting at more places. But I didn't get going this year till the end of May. 

The strange thing is I've only shot 4 in my garden, I've taken around 20-25 for the last few years, I'm taking this as a good thing, I've seen another three in the wood behind me so they might coming sniffing around at some point.

I've had two main feeders running and the strange thing is how close the numbers are 23 at one and 24 at the other, looking back through my diary things have been quiet since August with dips at both feeders.

I'm going to put out another couple of feeders and see how it goes, it will be interesting to see if they match the other feeders, and what numbers the other feeders get in there second year. Like others things have gone quiet because of the number of acorns this year, the golf course being closed for a month was good for me.

This is actually the first year I've had more squirrels than mice! I've been keeping track of how many I've had out of the garage and the number I've recorded is 39, possibly more.

I'm on 64 squirrels,  still time for a few more, and hopefully some good frosts to get them on the feeders in January.

Merry Christmas everyone,  and as Walker says, keep whacking and stacking.

Hiya boys I'm glad in away you mentioned this because the same thing is happening to me,what ever time I go to feeder seems to have been plenty of activity but when I'm there they keep messing about ,I just thought it was me because I'm not professional like you boys .Now we have rain and wind for ages days so we will have to see what happens . Will have to get camera MICE .And walker570 did you mean they are not hungry you will have to go back for sex .Happy Christmas all.

This #####!!!!!!!! super flu thing slowed me down in the spring when I should have been hitting them. I am down on last year and well down on my New Year resolution. Fortunately the keepers son on the estate in Lincolnshire has mopped about 55 up that I would probably have sorted, I logged those which helped.  One more on a flip top this morning but think that was the only one living in that tree. Just the odd one showing which I suppose is what we are aiming for and really need to find another couple of woods locally.  The chicken flu is now stopping me getting at one of my areas as I ahve to drive through the property(free range) to get to the woods and all poultry folks are a bit nervous at the moment so keeping away.  I'm on 245 and may make 250 before the year ends.  As my teacher used to say.."Could do better"  plus under breath..."if he wasn't thinking about going shooting all the time"

Have a Happy One and stay healthy for the New Year.

Edited by Walker570

@Walker570 245 is impressive Nev, one came up the garden this morning then turned back, but my neighbour's have put fat balls out! So now they have options. 

3 hours ago, Morkin said:

Hiya boys I'm glad in away you mentioned this because the same thing is happening to me,what ever time I go to feeder seems to have been plenty of activity but when I'm there they keep messing about ,I just thought it was me because I'm not professional like you boys .Now we have rain and wind for ages days so we will have to see what happens . Will have to get camera MICE .And walker570 did you mean they are not hungry you will have to go back for sex .Happy Christmas all.

The camera really helps, especially at this time of year , between the natural food available and the horrible weather it can save you sitting around waiting when nothing is coming.

Trail cams are a good investment. I have three which i alternate between flip tops. If I see two showing then I sit on it the next morning.  It also shows you things you did not know was there.  I had not seen a song thrush for ages but one camera was knocked askew by something and pointing to the ground right at early light when the camera was still working on night mode I have a song thrush looking at the red indicator light. Btilliant

233.JPG

Edited by Walker570

My year has been like a waltz - slow, slow, quick, quick, slow!

Or is it it, now you see them, now you don’t!

I have had some awful months, often with nothing, trapping has been very poor except June when I had 49 but shooting as a pair and solo with a thermal has been very good.

My target was 200 and I am on 171 so far, which is a little  better than last year.

The year isn’t over yet, I am shooting Boxing Day morning  and having a day with Mice on Monday in the Red zone doing abit of zero tolerance. I have challenged him to shoot an armour plated grey that lives in the garden of a country hotel without disturbing the guests. I have shot his 3 mates but this one is now very nervous- don’t know why! 

It will be good to end the year on a high note if he gets it.

Have a good Christmas and keep on whacking!

31 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

My target was 200 and I am on 171 so far, which is a little  better than last year.

Another great tally there mate, great effort all year, especially given where you are.

34 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

The year isn’t over yet, I am shooting Boxing Day morning  and having a day with Mice on Monday in the Red zone doing abit of zero tolerance

No pressure,  hope it's clear and frosty like today, it looked perfect shooting weather but its Christmas eve and we had plans for the kids.

Bring on Monday. 

36 minutes ago, Mice! said:

No pressure,  hope it's clear and frosty like today, it looked perfect shooting weather but its Christmas eve and we had plans for the kids.

Bring on Monday. 

The forecast is good so far, just above freezing and overcast.  It’s a lovely spot for a walk around and a critical location to stop greys entering further into the red zone.

You’ll easily recognise the greys cos they are all wearing brown trousers! 😂

Well I have an appointment with a oouple in the morning which looks like dawning nice and bright and clear. It would be a shame to waste it opening presents that don't exist.   Then back for coffee and bacon filled crumpets. Just had a delivery from Stokes of a variety of sauces to try, not cheap but very good quality and different.  If the weather stays tidy I might slide out and do some work on one of my hides and feed round the flip tops.   A real nice oven ready chciken from Aldi for supper.  Hopefully out again Boxing morning on a different flip top.  The weather looks tidy for the rest of the week so between now and the 31st maximum effort to try and put another half dozen on the list.

Then we open a new page :shoot:

Y'allll have a great time over the Christmas period and don't worry about a grumpy old scrooge like me, I'll be enjoying myself no problem. Just hope these crazzies in London don't go locking us all down again through the spring.

Now all get to bed before Santa comes down the chimney

Edited by Walker570

On 24/12/2020 at 12:56, Walker570 said:

had not seen a song thrush for ages but one camera was knocked askew by something and pointing to the ground right at early light when the camera was still working on night mode I have a song thrush looking at the red indicator light. Btilliant

Funny you should mention this, I always get thrushes in the spring then once the blackbird chicks start showing the thrushes disappear,  can't remember seeing any with chicks in the garden, then this week one on the lawn bold as brass, then eating the pyracantha berries for the last two days, if the male blackbirds don't chase it away. 

@NatureBoy I know they are similar size birds but any reason the blackbirds won't tolerate the thrushes?

Song thrushes not big scrappers like blackbirds Mice. Black birds will have a go at each other to defend a patch/feed. Mistle thrushes will soon see them off though. So will male fieldfares. Woodie with crippled foot has turned up mine again for what will be her third winter. . . .  Noticed robins seem to be singing at night a lot lately wherever there's a street light, roundabout or carpark they are at it. . . . . . My squirrel numbers down. 67 this year. Seeing less about. Have been hitting them hard last few years. November Feb and March my productive months.   NB    

8 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Song thrushes not big scrappers like blackbirds Mice. Black birds will have a go at each other to defend a patch/feed. Mistle thrushes will soon see them off though. So will male fieldfares. Woodie with crippled foot has turned up mine again for what will be her third winter. . . .  Noticed robins seem to be singing at night a lot lately wherever there's a street light, roundabout or carpark they are at it. . . . . . My squirrel numbers down. 67 this year. Seeing less about. Have been hitting them hard last few years. November Feb and March my productive months.   NB    

Cheers, we normally have at least 3 or 4 pairs of blackbirds in spring battling in the garden,  when that all kicks off the thrush tends to be ignored,  seemed strange them chasing the thrush away this week.

I work around a lot of artificial light and often hear robins and blackbirds singing at all hours.

9 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Woodie with crippled foot has turned up mine again for what will be her third winter

How unusual. 

Two of us plus whippet got out on Boxing Day to shoot a small adventure park that was closed for 2 days.

I had recced it the week previously in miserable weather and seen 6 greys in the wood happily playing in the oaks and ignoring the public.

The weather was perfect and a warm 7% but the greys were not to be seen. We eventually found them hiding in the tops of a small stand of Scots pine. One or two shots were needed to move each one on and then boy could they run. Up, down, round and round, diagonal, you name it, they did it. With the Hushpower moderator it was hard to get a bead on them, they were so quick. We ended up with four in the end (& a pile of empty cartridges!). A very exciting morning for such a small bag.

@NatureBoy. We had a woodie turn up for 3 years with a crippled foot as well. When it disappeared, another similar woodie turned up, we wondered if this was a genetic fault. Anyway, this woodies foot got more and more twisted and it was painful to watch it hobble. Mrs Sciurus wouldn’t let me put it out of its misery but a local cat later did the business instead.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

Cheers, we normally have at least 3 or 4 pairs of blackbirds in spring battling in the garden,  when that all kicks off the thrush tends to be ignored,  seemed strange them chasing the thrush away this week.

I work around a lot of artificial light and often hear robins and blackbirds singing at all hours.

How unusual. 

If a mistle thrush or fieldfare turn up they would see them all off. Had them at mine in hard weather some years for over a week. Constantly on it all day chasing others off and so noisy it done me head in.

Robins at mine proper tame round me. Cos they nest on or really near my house every year for over 25yrs. Usually same places. In ivy by door, window, by down pipe, or under sill. From hatching they must grow up watching, listening to me TV and music. Because they nest so near most attempts (3 this year) are successful. Amazing to watch/listen to and this year they let dunnocks nest within 4ft of them. I have seen dunnocks feeding young robins in the nest in past.

Sciurus, My woodie has very distinctive splayed frozen foot and stiff leg. Does a great comedy walk, like repeated Nazi salute. Has adapted well to it, pairs up and i have seen her mating in spring. But because of how she is her and any mate aren't strong enough to hold territory in my garden againest other woodies. They try! She nest near mine though Because i have seen her sneak in for an easy feed and can see she has been sitting on eggs because the feathers on her back/tail are bleached out/ faded by sunlight like rooks get. Interesting to study. She spends a lot of time in my garden this time of year (Oct- March) and have got used to each other. Yet i watch her leave and join other woodies in fields and trees out back and behave no different. So if she was in a flock or came into my deaks one day, who knows?  . . . .  Some folk think it strange i tolerate Woodies in and nesting in my garden yet shoot them. I think they are an amazing adaptable good looking bird. Just at times they also happen to be a pest and taste nice. That bird, who chooses to share my space and because of her disability has helped me educate many folk about shooting, conservation, farming and nature! Some people really get it!😉

44 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Some folk think it strange i tolerate Woodies in and nesting in my garden yet shoot them. I think they are an amazing adaptable good looking bird. Just at times they also happen to be a pest and taste nice. That bird, who chooses to share my space and because of her disability has helped me educate many folk about shooting, conservation, farming and nature! Some people really get it!😉

I get woodies every day guaranteed,  I was shooting and zeroing this after when two came flying in to land above me on the garage,  a few pigeons won't do any harm and are welcome to clear up after the other birds, or more likely pile in when I through a handful of seed on the lawn. Big difference to a flock on someone's crop.

Funnily enough they were on the patio when i came out the garage, me shooting didn't phase them.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I get woodies every day guaranteed,  I was shooting and zeroing this after when two came flying in to land above me on the garage,  a few pigeons won't do any harm and are welcome to clear up after the other birds, or more likely pile in when I through a handful of seed on the lawn. Big difference to a flock on someone's crop.

Funnily enough they were on the patio when i came out the garage, me shooting didn't phase them.

Would they be town wooodies? They spooky my way in sticks unless it's the breeding season. Two were scrapping in my garden other weekend. Some how one ended up with a badly broken wing when they both collided with wires. Rung it's neck, breasted in it was in the pan for breakfast in minutes. Proper fast food. No sentiment there. As i said, they taste nice. Most folk that call em rats with wings are urban folk and think they the same as ferals they are used to.   NB

2 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Would they be town wooodies? They spooky my way in sticks unless it's the breeding season. Two were scrapping in my garden other weekend. Some how one ended up with a badly broken wing when they both collided with wires. Rung it's neck, breasted in it was in the pan for breakfast in minutes. Proper fast food. No sentiment there. As i said, they taste nice. Most folk that call em rats with wings are urban folk and think they the same as ferals they are used to.   NB

No mate, proper woodies, like you say they are just used to me being in the garden and there being easy food available. 

They are often up in the trees along the garden while I do a couple of mags.

We have two pairs of resident woodies and a pair of ring doves which had a family last summer and some of their youngsters come to feed. We are very lucky in having at least 25-30 house sparrows come in every day.  Miss the green finches, they seem to have been devastated by that disease.     Certainly the small bird population in our 10 acre wood has boomed since the tree rats are no longer welcome, particularly nuthatches and I see this on a small local farm I sort hem on as well.  The genral population , particularly townies, do not appreciate what damage the greys do to bird numbers.

I want one more for 250 this year. Way below my target of one a day , so new years resolution

Must do better

Edited by Walker570

So today's adventure, 

I went and picked up a thermal last weekend,  after using @Sciurus Pulsar and the same model being offered two weeks later, so obviously wanted to get out and use it, I've been out every day watching things, changing the settings and seeing what works for me.

Me and Sciurus went out today at one of his patches, a sensitive site because there are reds and greys and obviously we only want the reds.

It was supposed to be freezing cold today and I was layered up like an onion, the tops were white and the roads empty what more could I want.

We started out seeing a couple of greys in the gardens but they headed skywards not to be seen again in some big fir/cedar/pine trees, I'll have to have a proper look next time and identify the trees properly,  needles to say there big with lots of cover.

From there we headed upwards, greeted by woodpeckers, tits tree creepers Nuthatch's and and anything else that can glow in a thermal but no squirrels just breath taking scenes. 

20201228_195437.jpg.5986b122064cd926c1ebb40da45ed615.jpg

Not a bad view😀😀

We got to the top of the wood then headed back down towards a feeder, and what should we see.

20201228_194521.jpg.ff0e0491071a8dae115eccf9c471ff21.jpg

A little red, beautiful colour scampering around and watching us, Sciurus spotted two greys playing chase,  I couldn't see them from my position but did spot them when they moved across, I moved down towards them but I saw one go up an oak and vanish,  with a massive monkey puzzle right by it!! I spent a good while trying from different angles to get a heat source but the sun was directly behind the monkey puzzle and not helping at all.

I suddenly got a blob but couldn't see what the thermal could, seeing what or where the heat is through the scope in amongst the top of a mature tree is far from simple,  I did finally decide I could see a squirrel but couldn't say it was certainly a grey, then it moved out of sight flicking me a dirty look as it vanished again. Grey.

We saw probably 5 greys during the day and they all did a runner heading for cover, while I'd been getting neck aches Sciurus was sat watching the red climbing around him without a care in the world.

We carried on down the wood, lots of mature oak with cracks and holes everywhere,  the ground covered in old rhododendron that's been cut and left and now moss covered, I spotted a grey going along the floor and headed towards it but saw another behind the piles on the floor, I moved around and it was gone? From in plain sight to nothing, out with the thermal scanning around and the only thing giving off heat was a crack in an oak, I kept looking around but it was just that crack, I looked and looked again but had to move position again before I could see an eye! I couldn't believe where it had squeezed itself to hide from me, not a chance would I normally have looked in that gap.

I hit it, it came out onto the bough above and I hit it again,  I went to pick it up but it wasn't there, there was cover all around the tree so it could have gone anywhere. 

We carried on down and Sciurus spotted another pair, on seeing him they headed to the top of two big pines, I came around from behind but they didn't budge,  it took ages to spot them, with the sun on the trees and the hight they were at finding them was a challenge and a half, I got two heat sources but then had to find them,  I finally found one and dropped it out of the tree, I was seriously happy with the shot given where the squirrel was flat on a branch around 25-30 metres up.

The second one finally moved but kept moving,  and didn't look back.

We broke for lunch and looked again afterwards but didn't see anything.

We came across several people during the day,  far more than are normally there but despite us both walking around with guns uncovered we had no issues,  we were asked several times what we were doing,  even had one lad tell us he was a hunt sab but understood why the greys needed to be controlled.

So two greys that won't be breeding in spring hopefully giving the little red a better chance,  just need to get the last few greys now.

Cheers mate 👍

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

So today's adventure, 

I went and picked up a thermal last weekend,  after using @Sciurus Pulsar and the same model being offered two weeks later, so obviously wanted to get out and use it, I've been out every day watching things, changing the settings and seeing what works for me.

Me and Sciurus went out today at one of his patches, a sensitive site because there are reds and greys and obviously we only want the reds.

It was supposed to be freezing cold today and I was layered up like an onion, the tops were white and the roads empty what more could I want.

We started out seeing a couple of greys in the gardens but they headed skywards not to be seen again in some big fir/cedar/pine trees, I'll have to have a proper look next time and identify the trees properly,  needles to say there big with lots of cover.

From there we headed upwards, greeted by woodpeckers, tits tree creepers Nuthatch's and and anything else that can glow in a thermal but no squirrels just breath taking scenes. 

20201228_195437.jpg.5986b122064cd926c1ebb40da45ed615.jpg

Not a bad view😀😀

We got to the top of the wood then headed back down towards a feeder, and what should we see.

20201228_194521.jpg.ff0e0491071a8dae115eccf9c471ff21.jpg

A little red, beautiful colour scampering around and watching us, Sciurus spotted two greys playing chase,  I couldn't see them from my position but did spot them when they moved across, I moved down towards them but I saw one go up an oak and vanish,  with a massive monkey puzzle right by it!! I spent a good while trying from different angles to get a heat source but the sun was directly behind the monkey puzzle and not helping at all.

I suddenly got a blob but couldn't see what the thermal could, seeing what or where the heat is through the scope in amongst the top of a mature tree is far from simple,  I did finally decide I could see a squirrel but couldn't say it was certainly a grey, then it moved out of sight flicking me a dirty look as it vanished again. Grey.

We saw probably 5 greys during the day and they all did a runner heading for cover, while I'd been getting neck aches Sciurus was sat watching the red climbing around him without a care in the world.

We carried on down the wood, lots of mature oak with cracks and holes everywhere,  the ground covered in old rhododendron that's been cut and left and now moss covered, I spotted a grey going along the floor and headed towards it but saw another behind the piles on the floor, I moved around and it was gone? From in plain sight to nothing, out with the thermal scanning around and the only thing giving off heat was a crack in an oak, I kept looking around but it was just that crack, I looked and looked again but had to move position again before I could see an eye! I couldn't believe where it had squeezed itself to hide from me, not a chance would I normally have looked in that gap.

I hit it, it came out onto the bough above and I hit it again,  I went to pick it up but it wasn't there, there was cover all around the tree so it could have gone anywhere. 

We carried on down and Sciurus spotted another pair, on seeing him they headed to the top of two big pines, I came around from behind but they didn't budge,  it took ages to spot them, with the sun on the trees and the hight they were at finding them was a challenge and a half, I got two heat sources but then had to find them,  I finally found one and dropped it out of the tree, I was seriously happy with the shot given where the squirrel was flat on a branch around 25-30 metres up.

The second one finally moved but kept moving,  and didn't look back.

We broke for lunch and looked again afterwards but didn't see anything.

We came across several people during the day,  far more than are normally there but despite us both walking around with guns uncovered we had no issues,  we were asked several times what we were doing,  even had one lad tell us he was a hunt sab but understood why the greys needed to be controlled.

So two greys that won't be breeding in spring hopefully giving the little red a better chance,  just need to get the last few greys now.

Cheers mate 👍

Great write up Kev, next for your wish list has got to be FAC air, bit more umph for reaching the critters at the top of those pines!

It was a grand  day out with mice, although nothing went as planned!

The grey I had challenged Mice to shoot didn’t bother to show up.  It was supposed to be overcast  but was so sunny that shallow streams were glowing red in the thermal compared to frozen ground, so the thermals could only be used in one directions when looking into the trees.

Whilst Mice went off to stalk his greys, I stayed hidden under a fallen tree and was verbally abused by a red running 4 feet above me, eventually it scurried off to my new shooting feeder and I had to put up with it rattling the lid every 20 seconds as it ate all the sunflowers, leaving the maize for the greys. The position I had chosen  for the feeder wasn’t ideal and mice kindly pointed out a better spot to move it to.  So that’s a job for later in the week.

We separated as we descended the woods and I saw 2 greys chasing each other in a Scots pine but couldn’t spot them with the thermal. Mice arrived and could just get a weak signal with his thermal. I still couldn’t spot them with my identical thermal. I bet we were there for ten minutes looking upwards straining our backs then he said he could see an eye and down fell a female. I was gobsmacked - he is most definitely welcome to come on red patrol again!

ps Although his eyes are 25 years younger than mine, I made him puff walking up the slopes!😂😂😂