squirrel control

Mice!

Sitting by 06.50. A misty drive in and moisture dripping from the trees above my seat, however the air was pristine. The dancing shadows caused by the falling moisture made it challenging on the eyes.

Both tree rats came in  from the canopy and suddenly appeared on the feeder from nowhere in the gloom. two down within the first hour and a half then three and a half hours of waiting.

Looking to move to another suitable location asap.

Have some enormous Beeches where I go, will take a tape next time down that way.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing what you see when waiting for tree rats. I was over in Lincolshire one lunch time around 12 noon and pulled the Land Rover up at the end of a short rdie with three pheasant feeders and one of my flip tops.  I was just about to open my sandwiches when I noticed a large grey blob under the second feeder and binos revealed a half grown badger sucking on the spring feeder.  Mid Day and to my knowledge no where near a sett.  I was not hallucinating as the Keeprrs son saw it in exactly the same position two days later mid afternoon.

27 minutes ago, sam triple said:

You were actually spot on 👍😂

Who me?? 😅😅

I went out this morning and after two and a half hours I missed a squirrel 😳😳

There were two messing around behind the feeder so I waited it out watching the birds, Jays screeching again,  the stock doves pretending to be squirrels and a mass of young chicks and voles/mice at and under the feeder.

I watched the squirrel come in and makes it way forwards then stopped where I had put some feed for the critters on the ground, it was bobbing about up and down eating bits when it sat back, Pfft and it moved again,  pretty sure it skimmed it,  no impact noise and it was off, so I'm on the look out for a squirrel with a centre parting!!

Couldn't believe I missed, that's worse than seeing nothing.

But I did see my first Weasel there 😄

Counselling is what you need. We have all been there. A friend brought his 22RF over yesterday as he was sure the barrel must be shot out. Whacking rabbits at 70yrds then missing at 20 and it was driving him crazy.  I set up three targets at 15 -30 - 50yrds and had him fire three shots at each all aimimg at the same centre of target. Lovely small groups all in the centre and certainly three dead rabbits.  Basically he was over thinking things and holding over and under when he just needed to aim dead centre.  I did exactly that myself this morning on a 30yrd maggie on a slurry pit, held high and missed high, it was close enough to make the maggie duck but not close enough. Have you noticed how hard it is to kick yourself up the butt:mad:

I pretty much consider the .22lr as point and shoot from 10-60m, just raising the barrel a tad for anything nearer or further away.

That said I always go for the engine room, none of this head shot mullarky. A .22 hole through most small mammals means they’re no going anywhere far.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Have you noticed how hard it is to kick yourself up the butt

I tried 😭😭 I probably should have waited a little longer  

43 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

That said I always go for the engine room, none of this head shot mullarky. A .22 hole through most small mammals means they’re no going anywhere far

I've no issue with body shots, but they can sometimes run a short way with sub 12, the amount of cover at the moment means I want them dropping clean, but that's the first miss I've had in quite some time,  it was quite sobering. 

Just now, Mice! said:

I tried 😭😭 I probably should have waited a little longer  

I've no issue with body shots, but they can sometimes run a short way with sub 12, the amount of cover at the moment means I want them dropping clean, but that's the first miss I've had in quite some time,  it was quite sobering. 

I totally agree with you, that’s why I prefer a bit more umph! I’m impressed by your shooting mate. 👍

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I totally agree with you, that’s why I prefer a bit more umph! I’m impressed by your shooting mate. 👍

I probably wouldn't or couldn't take half the shots I have this year, with more umph often a head sticking out from the tree if they don't go onto the feeder.

Like this one.

20210728_070038.jpg.d958081e885a027b0a25f608b2b8c013.jpg

I'm hoping it has a centre partition 😁

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Counselling is what you need

Its working. We are live, well 5 minute delay. 

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

I went out this morning and after two and a half hours I missed a squirrel 😳

I watched the squirrel come in and makes it way forwards then stopped where I had put some feed for the critters on the ground, it was bobbing about up and down eating bits when it sat back, Pfft and it moved again,  pretty sure it skimmed it,  no impact noise and it was off, so I'm on the look out for a squirrel with a centre parting!!

Couldn't believe I missed, that's worse than seeing nothing.

But I did see my first Weasel there 😄

I bet the weasel was attracted by the smell of onions!😂😂😂

I went to a house last year to lend them a trap and as I arrived, the owner said the squirrel was already there swinging on the birdfeeder. I crept through his garage and it was there, barely 10ft away. I held over slightly and fired, it leapt 2ft in the air and dropped on the floor, having the usual kick about. My audience were very impressed - that is until a few seconds later it got up and ran off! 

I did trap it a few days later and there was a graze on its muzzle where the pellet just grazed it. I can understand why I missed, but don’t know why it played dead, then ran off, concussion perhaps?

My last week has been a bit of a disappointment. My new larger feeder was being quickly emptied, I topped it up and shot it two days later- Didn’t see a thing (I don’t think it had been touched). I left two hours later, covered in midge bites. I had so many bites, I couldn’t wear my watch for two days.

Yesterday, I went for an early morning walk about on the other side of the lake, The property opens to the public at 10am, unfortunately the joggers were already there at 7am!

It was the first dull day for weeks - perfect for the thermal. Unfortunately as I spotted a grey, there would come the familiar loud crunch crunch, crack crack as a jogger made their way through the woods over the dried Beech leaves and twigs. I could literally hear them a hundred yards away. Joggers aren’t normally a problem at this spot but a campsite had reopened about a mile away. This has never been much of a problem before but the Lake District is just so overfull with visitors at the moment.

I ended up the morning with a solitary grey. I can’t see things improving until September .

Numbers, 96, 97, & 98

20210728_101549.jpg.5bed94b7f6299c218ec2d988dd2a7346.jpg

20210728_101537.jpg.d5e7b733e7b7940daaebed89b293f644.jpg

This small kit did appear to have a mark on its head?? Could possibly be the one I missed yesterday,  it was very nervous when it came down.

When it rolled down next to the big male it all kicked off,  the Jays erupted again and straight away a squirrel started barking,  then calling and sort of squeaking,  this carried on for a good ten minutes maybe longer, and I couldn't find it above me. 

Finally things quieted down and the Jay came back in onto the feeder, it seems they make great decoys because the very noisy squirrel slowly made it's way down the tree to the right of the feeder, above, it kind of tip toed across before pausing and turning back unsure,  it should have ran.

Adult Male and female plus one kit, normal service has resumed. 

With that I went and topped up the other feeder, and there was a squirrel but number 99 legged it.

I checked the camera and one sometimes two squirrels have been there each day,  hopefully they will be there Friday because tomorrow is supposed to be a washout. 

I plan on tipping the deck further in my favour by having two other feeders I can go and shoot, hopefully friday I hit the 100.

23 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

there would come the familiar loud crunch crunch, crack crack as a jogger made their way through the woods over the dried Beech leaves and twigs. I could literally hear them a hundred yards away

Well be careful today,  all that rain last night has made everywhere lovely and quiet.

And not only do I smell of onions my french has improved 😆😆

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Numbers, 96, 97, & 98

20210728_101549.jpg.5bed94b7f6299c218ec2d988dd2a7346.jpg

20210728_101537.jpg.d5e7b733e7b7940daaebed89b293f644.jpg

This small kit did appear to have a mark on its head?? Could possibly be the one I missed yesterday,  it was very nervous when it came down.

When it rolled down next to the big male it all kicked off,  the Jays erupted again and straight away a squirrel started barking,  then calling and sort of squeaking,  this carried on for a good ten minutes maybe longer, and I couldn't find it above me. 

Finally things quieted down and the Jay came back in onto the feeder, it seems they make great decoys because the very noisy squirrel slowly made it's way down the tree to the right of the feeder, above, it kind of tip toed across before pausing and turning back unsure,  it should have ran.

Adult Male and female plus one kit, normal service has resumed. 

With that I went and topped up the other feeder, and there was a squirrel but number 99 legged it.

I checked the camera and one sometimes two squirrels have been there each day,  hopefully they will be there Friday because tomorrow is supposed to be a washout. 

I plan on tipping the deck further in my favour by having two other feeders I can go and shoot, hopefully friday I hit the 100.

Well be careful today,  all that rain last night has made everywhere lovely and quiet.

And not only do I smell of onions my french has improved 😆😆

👍👍👍

Mice, 99 so this year is a very impressive figure.

You have certainly worked hard by going out in all sorts of weather, at the end of a long night shift (& then finding time to write about it) and as such thoroughly deserve the success.

I am sure you will get your century before end of July. Cheers G. 🍻 

10 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

You have certainly worked hard by going out in all sorts of weather, at the end of a long night shift (& then finding time to write about it) and as such thoroughly deserve the success.

I second that ... Olympic Gold for sure.

I'm down about 40 odd over last year. On 151 at the moment so could do better.  The early months not being able to travel to Lincolshire cut the numbers. but have one or two new positions set up to try which hopefully will catch up.

Bare in mind I have every hour of every day available if I wished which makes a big difference to you chaps who have to go to work.

Edited by Walker570

18 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Cheers mate,  moving around BIG wood has made a difference I've pretty much doubled last years number there, and the golf course numbers have made another big impact,  almost 45 now at both sites, and just picking up odd ones at the private garden keeping on top of those.

What do you think last night and today about a months worth of rain?

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

👍👍👍

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I second that ... Olympic Gold for sure.

I'm down about 40 odd over last year. On 151 at the moment so could do better.  The early months not being able to travel to Lincolshire cut the numbers. but have one or two new positions set up to try which hopefully will catch up.

Bare in mind I have every hour of every day available if I wished which makes a big difference to you chaps who have to go to work.

Cheers fellas, the pressure is on for the next two. 

Just now, Mice! said:

Cheers mate,  moving around BIG wood has made a difference I've pretty much doubled last years number there, and the golf course numbers have made another big impact,  almost 45 now at both sites, and just picking up odd ones at the private garden keeping on top of those.

What do you think last night and today about a months worth of rain?

Cheers fellas, the pressure is on for the next two. 

My biggest problem is time working double days I can only get out one end / beginning of the day but walking the dog takes priority when it’s hot , he has to go out before the sun rises then I’ll miss the evening because I’m at work 

9 minutes ago, sam triple said:

My biggest problem is time working double days I can only get out one end / beginning of the day but walking the dog takes priority when it’s hot , he has to go out before the sun rises then I’ll miss the evening because I’m at work 

Working nights definitely makes a difference because you can head straight out , I know from working double days that getting up early after late shift is a killer.

And the dog definitely has to come first when it's been this hot, but every squirrel counts, they all reduce the pressure on there environment,  keep at them 👍

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Working nights definitely makes a difference because you can head straight out , I know from working double days that getting up early after late shift is a killer.

And the dog definitely has to come first when it's been this hot, but every squirrel counts, they all reduce the pressure on there environment,  keep at them 👍

Will do , lates next week so I’ll try and do a few mornings 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Yep, we often went straight to the golf course coming off nights. Round of golf by 10 oclock and then you hit the pillow.

Guys now doing 4 on 4 off  12hr shifts and was planned just before I retired. That must be great for a shooting man.

Lincolnshire in the morning with all rides mown and some pheasant feeders with food so hoping for a good day.

Hello everyone.

Ive spent a deal of time lurking on this thread before signing up. Ive recently moved into a semi-rural village, smallish back garden of around 60 m2, bounded by a hawthorn/elder/maple hedge and a massive leylandii hedge that runs along multiple properties. I get a massive variety of wild birds, including a couple of amber-list endangered species...also lots of greys.

The circumstances of my location mean it is extremely difficult to shoot (i shoot inside a large detached garage on the property, but cant shoot openly in the garden) and possible that a grey taking even a fatal hit would still be able to leave the bounds of my property, so my longwinded process is to live-trap, then dispatch and dispose. 

From the 21st to the 30th of June I took 5 of the little darlings; managed 2 weeks free of their attentions then another popped up. Spent 2 weeks trying and failing to take that 'one', finally bagged it this morning at 6:30 and by 8:00 another was at bird-feeders! 

Hopefully, I am making some impact on them; it would be way more efficient if I could shoot openly, but the battle will continue...the magpies are next on the hit-list.   

@leakyseals Welcome to Pigeon watch and especially the  airgun grey squirrel section!

Great that you are taking out the grey invaders in the garden. I can understand that you don’t want to upset your new neighbours by openly shooting them. Hopefully in a few months and you get to know them better, you might find some them are more than happy for you to thin them out.

Hope you get the air rifle sorted- plenty of advice here.

Finally, don’t forget to enter your kills on the ‘how many grey squirrels killed in 2021’ found in the ‘Other pest control’ section.👍

5 hours ago, leakyseals said:

Hopefully, I am making some impact on them; it would be way more efficient if I could shoot openly, but the battle will continue...the magpies are next on the hit-list. 

Welcome fella, I often used to shoot from an upstairs window but I've not had the opportunity yet this year, there has only been maybe two squirrels in my garden and I've not been there. 

So long as you are taking head shots and hit them every time there is little chance of them going far.

It might take a while to get on top of them but its doable from your garden, and the number of birds will increase as well as the time they spend at your feeders.

6 hours ago, leakyseals said:

Hello everyone.

Ive spent a deal of time lurking on this thread before signing up. Ive recently moved into a semi-rural village, smallish back garden of around 60 m2, bounded by a hawthorn/elder/maple hedge and a massive leylandii hedge that runs along multiple properties. I get a massive variety of wild birds, including a couple of amber-list endangered species...also lots of greys.

The circumstances of my location mean it is extremely difficult to shoot (i shoot inside a large detached garage on the property, but cant shoot openly in the garden) and possible that a grey taking even a fatal hit would still be able to leave the bounds of my property, so my longwinded process is to live-trap, then dispatch and dispose. 

From the 21st to the 30th of June I took 5 of the little darlings; managed 2 weeks free of their attentions then another popped up. Spent 2 weeks trying and failing to take that 'one', finally bagged it this morning at 6:30 and by 8:00 another was at bird-feeders! 

Hi I’ve taken 4 in the garden this year from upstairs windows , as !ice says the bird life increases we now have all kinds of tits visiting the feeders plus a family of woodpeckers , great to see 

20 hours ago, Mice! said:

Double gunning? Squirrels and Munty??

Almost failed on both. Squirrels where in the wheat and the munties did not show(most unusual) of course a fallow stepped out and posed for ages.  GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!  Last year the squirrels took to nipping across the tracks into the wheat before it was harvested and this year is obviously the same. The wheat is almost hard so very attractive. Tyhe good news is my friend was trimming hedges on the gold course I was hoping to get on and told the head green keeper it was a shame he had ignored my approach.  The keeper was take aback and said he was sorry he had totally forgotten about it could he have my phone number.  My friend deisturbed at least 18 tree rats as he was trimming hedges for them so hpe yet for me to get my numbers back up.

Edited by Walker570