squirrel control

Mice!

22 hours ago, leakyseals said:

finally spotted target #9 at dawn today, it had a poke about the area where my trap is set, but didnt seem fazed by it or interested in the bait. Seen 'it' twice over the past week or so, only in the middle of the day, taking spillage from one of the bird feeders and always close to cover. It doesnt come into the garden by the usual route so is a sod to see until its out and feeding.

Hopefully, the sighting this morning (and its exit by the 'normal' route means it is getting braver and I can take it this week. 

👍

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some days things just go right- today was one of them.

6.45am sitting comfortably on a camp chair  under a yew with Daystate Huntsman on knee and listening to radio 4 on the earphones.

7.01 the phone pings, the remoti alarm has gone off on one my traps in another wood - one down without firing a shot!

7.15 the first grey slithers down the large fir tree and passes the feeder, it turns round and faces up and pauses. Psst thwack, two down.

7.20 another grey slithers down and start the tail twirling having noticed his dead pal  but pauses too long. Psst thwack, three down.

7.40 a third slithers down and onto a branch which I had leaned onto the tree as a ramp. It’s definitely not happy to see his two mates. it’s tails flicking like mad, it paused, I thought it might scarper and took the shot, it twitched , I missed and the pellet passed harmlessly into the undergrowth. The grey looked perplexed and ran up the trunk abit. I readjusted the trigger sticks higher and prepared for another shot but it ran further up the trunk and disappeared. Out with the thermal and found it, it was sitting in the fork of a branch, hunched up and looking at me. I readjusted the trigger sticks higher, poked the moderator through the camo net, psst, thwack. Straight through the head into the body. It fell, completely pole axed and didn’t twitch. Four down.

8.45 after a long wait, there was a clatter of a lid and another visitor. A pause, Psst thwack. Five down.

9am, I could hear the public arriving in the car park, so packed up  and made a discreet exit. (Well as discreet as you can with all your kit and a bag of greys).

9.30 arrived at the wood where I had laid two traps. A grey leaps up a  nearby tree - grrr I must have disturbed it before it went into a trap- but no, both traps had gone off and there was yet another grey hanging about on another tree. Blimey, I had recently carried out a two week scheme of trapping there with little success, now there were 4 greys there, 2 of which had been caught and two more to catch. I reset the traps and remoti and will pop back later this afternoon for a check.

The total for the morning was 6 plus another one which I shot last night when topping up the feeder. Where have they come from- August is usually very quiet?

0C37B338-0784-43C6-BE47-057DAC394910.jpeg.dff69854ba6fe7fa87b3347f8ba694ec.jpegG

0E63863D-B192-46FA-A2D3-17696BD93D53.jpeg.8b76de8c677d96882c30855e0f93adf7.jpeg

5B9C5509-FC4E-4D25-BB4D-B1F6302C57C9.jpeg.2387f79b63ff93c862bb0bc73ae491c2.jpeg

I am now making feeders out of pipes and aluminium, because it rains a lot here and timber feeders were getting damp and within a week there would often be a carpet of wheat growing. Notice the paint has been scratched off the lids but the alloy hasn’t been chewed yet.

The last picture shows the remoti alarm which is connected to the trap door and which sends me an email and text when it has been triggered.

51 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

6.45am sitting comfortably on a camp chair  under a yew with Daystate Huntsman on knee and listening to radio 4 on the earphones.

7.01 the phone pings, the remoti alarm has gone off on one my traps in another wood - one down without firing a shot!

7.15 the first grey slithers down the large fir tree and passes the feeder, it turns round and faces up and pauses. Psst thwack, two down.

7.20 another grey slithers down and start the tail twirling having noticed his dead pal  but pauses too long. Psst thwack, three down.

7.40 a third slithers down and onto a branch which I had leaned onto the tree as a ramp. It’s definitely not happy to see his two mates. it’s tails flicking like mad, it paused, I thought it might scarper and took the shot, it twitched , I missed and the pellet passed harmlessly into the undergrowth. The grey looked perplexed and ran up the trunk abit. I readjusted the trigger sticks higher and prepared for another shot but it ran further up the trunk and disappeared. Out with the thermal and found it, it was sitting in the fork of a branch, hunched up and looking at me. I readjusted the trigger sticks higher, poked the moderator through the camo net, psst, thwack. Straight through the head into the body. It fell, completely pole axed and didn’t twitch. Four down.

8.45 after a long wait, there was a clatter of a lid and another visitor. A pause, Psst thwack. Five down.

9am, I could hear the public arriving in the car park, so packed up  and made a discreet exit. (Well as discreet as you can with all your kit and a bag of greys).

9.30 arrived at the wood where I had laid two traps. A grey leaps up a  nearby tree - grrr I must have disturbed it before it went into a trap- but no, both traps had gone off and there was yet another grey hanging about on another tree. Blimey, I had recently carried out a two week scheme of trapping there with little success, now there were 4 greys there, 2 of which had been caught and two more to catch. I reset the traps and remoti and will pop back later this afternoon for a check.

The total for the morning was 6 plus another one which I shot last night when topping up the feeder. Where have they come from- August is usually very quiet?

0C37B338-0784-43C6-BE47-057DAC394910.jpeg.dff69854ba6fe7fa87b3347f8ba694ec.jpegG

I am now making feeders out of pipes and aluminium, because it rains a lot here and timber feeders were getting damp and within a week there would often be a carpet of wheat growing. Notice the paint has been scratched off the lids but the alloy hasn’t been chewed yet.

The last picture shows the remoti alarm which is connected to the trap door and which sends me an email and text when it has been triggered.

Very well done 👏

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

6.45am sitting comfortably on a camp chair

You had me at sitting comfortably mate 😃😃

Great mornings work for you, I'd guess as lots of the trees and other wildlife are behind then so are the squirrels?? 

Maybe September is going to be quiet?

@mice. I find it hard now to sit comfortably  on the ground or or a tree trunk and keep still. The camping chair solves that difficulty (you can even doze) however as you know the difficulty is finding a flat bit of ground- the number of times I have nearly tipped over......

I am just surprised the greys are interested in the bait in August when the hazel nuts are just so plump and moist, perhaps they were fed up of the wet weather and just want an easy meal.

33 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

am just surprised the greys are interested in the bait in August when the hazel nuts are just so plump and moist, perhaps they were fed up of the wet weather and just want an easy meal.

Not seeing a lot of Hazel over HH, what's there are quite small.

33 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

finding a flat bit of ground

Only flat ground near me is the beach 😆😆

But being comfortable definitely helps you sit still and sit for longer. 

Finally got to speak with the green keeper on a well wooded golf coursenearbye. He says he is ragged out with them.

Going over Friday morning to have a recce and may set a flip top or two if I find suitable quiet places.  Then a few early rises as the first golfers turn up at 7am.

I may be able to get up to my proposed kill rate for the year. My friend was cutting hedges there this week and had double figures running up the hedge infront of him.

Watch this space.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Finally got to speak with the green keeper on a well wooded golf coursenearbye. He says he is ragged out with them.

Going over Friday morning to have a recce and may set a flip top or two if I find suitable quiet places.  Then a few early rises as the first golfers turn up at 7am

Round here the barmy golfers are queuing up waiting for it to get light!

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Going over Friday morning to have a recce and may set a flip top or two if I find suitable quiet places.  Then a few early rises as the first golfers turn up at 7am.

I may be able to get up to my proposed kill rate for the year. My friend was cutting hedges there this week and had double figures running up the hedge infront of him.

Watch this space.

At the risk of telling you things you already know mate, try and set up so your shooting along side the course and away from the course if possible,  I moved my feeder to do this as they didn't want me seen on the course or the risk of a stray pellet which is understandable, and make this known to the green keeper,  the golfer's get there at first light but I've been able to keep shooting because of this.

46 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

11BF5070-C4D4-4E1F-B4A7-9E4829606BD0.jpeg.0b3f93ad321875cf7bd3c169773b642b.jpeg

Just picked a random hazel nut from a sapling in the garden. The nut is bigger than my thumbnail 

Nothing like that size over my way, but there already being nibbled. 

6 hours ago, Sciurus said:

A superb day, well done.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

At the risk of telling you things you already know mate, try and set up so your shooting along side the course and away from the course if possible,  I moved my feeder to do this as they didn't want me seen on the course or the risk of a stray pellet which is understandable, and make this known to the green keeper,  the golfer's get there at first light but I've been able to keep shooting because of this.

Nothing like that size over my way, but there already being nibbled. 

Hopefully have a site meeting Friday morning. Hoping to initiall set up two f;lip top sites and hit them at day break to the point folks start to get about....initially....then see hope things map out.  usually on a flip top you can expect most of your shots in the first two hours after day break, then it goes quiet, so hopefully this will work on this site.

Appreciate your input.  All of my flip tops will have built in back stops anyway.

The day just got better.. ..

Having seen the other two greys around the traps this morning, I reset the traps and have been waiting for my alarm to go off all afternoon- that is until I remembered in my haste to take a photo, I forgot to connect the remoti to the trap door- doh!

I popped back after six, and was delighted to have caught two more (young males).

F3DD7454-7F26-4013-8431-FF198DA12195.jpeg.46b72ebfa874c90f2d1b6bde1a776f49.jpeg

I did remember to fix up the alarm this time and with a bit of luck will get any more siblings tomorrow.

On 10/08/2021 at 15:15, Sciurus said:

Just picked a random hazel nut from a sapling in the garden. The nut is bigger than my thumbnail 

Popped out this morning playing musical feeders, I finally got the big feeder fixed up, and changed the flip top, might work might not? The lid might be too low, we'll see. 

20210811_171625.jpg.5408f849f58f064521754da227135bce.jpg

20210811_171526.jpg.1bac500f1df04cc79f5b88104e5afde8.jpg

Then moved one of the feeders around the hill.

20210811_171648.jpg.fcb5065a3c79b61371d980a20fefa7f9.jpg

There still small but its double the feed.

And finally,  the hazelnuts. 

20210811_171707.jpg.ec11c1afddad055791f76581da235418.jpg

Nothing like the size of yours mate, but the only squirrel I saw was on the hazles.

20210811_171625.jpg

20210811_171648.jpg

@mice, you have been busy.  How did you get those heavy feeders up on your own? The Perspex and alloy flip lid looks neat.👍

I was out at WC this morning with the thermal. The first grey shot was in a sycamore, (presumably eating the seeds?). The second had run from this sycamore and found hiding in a tall oak. The third was a youngster foraging on the ground and who stopped too soon running up  tree. All with the .410 Husher.

No success today with the traps, but I’ll keep them going for a week.

I never thought I would say “my nuts are bigger than yours!”😇

24 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

mice, you have been busy.  How did you get those heavy feeders up on your own? The Perspex and alloy flip lid looks neat.👍

💪💪💪😄

25 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

never thought I would say “my nuts are bigger than yours!”😇

Had to be said 😅😅

7 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Only 2 this evening the first was barking for a good 3-4 minutes before it came down to feed then got shot for it’s troubles , the 2nd about 20 mins later then nothing , def  think mornings are better here 

Only if you can get out though, that's two that didn't make it to morning 😉

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

Only if you can get out though, that's two that didn't make it to morning 😉

True enough, I’m on earlier this week so yes evening are the only time out I’ll try again this evening! With harvest starting they may be not venturing too far for food now and take what’s on offer 

On 10/08/2021 at 15:15, Sciurus said:

After reading this and thinking I hadn't seen any hazel nuts, walked with the wife to the supermarket past where I know there is a hazel hedge and looked in to see two grey squirrels helping themselves only a few feet above our heads!

5 hours ago, ratchers said:

After reading this and thinking I hadn't seen any hazel nuts, walked with the wife to the supermarket past where I know there is a hazel hedge and looked in to see two grey squirrels helping themselves only a few feet above our heads!

I've checked my diary from last year and I shot very few in September and October,  the feed is still going down at the moment but I'll be relying on the trail camera's to decide when to get out, or I'll need to find an un-shot wood 😳

5 hours ago, ratchers said:

One of our volunteers thinks August is one of the best times to shoot greys because they are so preoccupied eating hazel, that they drop their guard and are easier to shoot. 

There is quite a lot of hazel round here, left over from coppicing for making charcoal in 19 century.

Finally, to add insult to injury, today my wife spotted a grey in our garden eating our hazel! Grrrrrrrrr

52 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

One of our volunteers thinks August is one of the best times to shoot greys because they are so preoccupied eating hazel, that they drop their guard and are easier to shoot. 

The one I saw in the hazel on Tuesday was off like a shot, it must be the way I look at them 😄😄