squirrel control

Mice!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

That NE wind was particularly cutting this morning.

No wind here, it was glorious. 

I was in the wood by 620, it was surprisingly dark this morning actually. 

Squirrels seen on the hazel outside of the wood, not much going on until 7ish when a bit of bouncing started, off to my left past the deer fence I spotted one in a hazel, but it wouldn't keep still, possibly twenty minutes it touched around,  when it stopped it was in the wrong place, until finally it stopped facing me,  threaded a jsb heavy through and whack!

I look around and there is a squirrel making its way across the ground and up onto the feeder, but my gun is facing left!!

It sat staring at me,  then jumped down and away,  it didn't pause so no shot.

There were another two or three about but only interested in the hazelnuts,  the shot squirrel was a mature female and took some finding. 

20210826_225543.jpg.2437abbc948ede2244d137583dc424c5.jpg

I then headed off to the other position but it was somehow 9am, seeing another two greys on the hazelnuts in positions I can't shoot.

So a slow approach over the dry ground, making my way up the hill, and I'm greeted by a squirrel on the feeder, it just sat there eating,  I'd already got the gun out and loaded,  pfft whack. 

Then another on the deck posits head up, leaned on a tree, pfft whack flip flop down the hill.

I waited 5 mins then went to collect them,  took me a good 20 minutes to find the first and it wasn't far down the hill, just hidden with the ground cover,  never found the second despite a good search. 

20210826_225556.jpg.3c55f55ed45a260f34c7400f7bd3ecbc.jpg

Young male, I was surprised these two weren't on the hazel. 

I saw more squirrels today than I have for a while, and in random places, obviously travelling for the hazelnuts @Sciurus dog and gun time 👍

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, they need teaching a lesson.  One of the reasons now always use metal drums.  Don't use the lidded type but the plain oil drum type. You can get some which have had cutting oil in which is water solvent and can be power washed out.  I cut the top 6 inches off, then cut arounf just below the top rib. I made a simple crimping tool and then crimp around the edge about 4 inches down. The top section then slides over here to make a waterproof and tre rat proof fitting.  A set of legs for the drum to stand on, separate not drilled into the drum and then a choce of springs or tray for the feeder. 

This makes a brilliant feeder, vermin proof and because it is six inches lower than a full drum is much easier to fill but still holds plenty of food.  Also wire mesh can be added around the legs to prevent munties etc hitting the springs or trays.

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yup, they need teaching a lesson.  One of the reasons now always use metal drums.  Don't use the lidded type but the plain oil drum type. You can get some which have had cutting oil in which is water solvent and can be power washed out.  I cut the top 6 inches off, then cut arounf just below the top rib. I made a simple crimping tool and then crimp around the edge about 4 inches down. The top section then slides over here to make a waterproof and tre rat proof fitting.  A set of legs for the drum to stand on, separate not drilled into the drum and then a choce of springs or tray for the feeder. 

This makes a brilliant feeder, vermin proof and because it is six inches lower than a full drum is much easier to fill but still holds plenty of food.  Also wire mesh can be added around the legs to prevent munties etc hitting the springs or trays.

Exactly what my mate was going to replace these with yesterday in the woods , these will now go out into the main fields along the game strips away from such numbers of squirrels if they last a season or 2 in the field then happy days 

Easy to make up a crimping tool.  3/4 inch square box section about 8 inches long, weld this one ened to a length of bar , then cut a slot about 4 inches into the box section at 90 degs to the rod(handle).  To crimp just stand inside the drum with one leg to hold it in place , put the slotted box over the edge of the bin and gentle turn to produce a flat then repeat in the opposite direction etc etc all the way round the bin. Puts on a real neat crimp and the lid just slides over to produce a weather proof lid.

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Easy to make up a crimping tool.  3/4 inch square box section about 8 inches long, weld this one ened to a length of bar , then cut a slot about 4 inches into the box section at 90 degs to the rod(handle).  To crimp just stand inside the drum with one leg to hold it in place , put the slotted box over the edge of the bin and gentle turn to produce a flat then repeat in the opposite direction etc etc all the way round the bin. Puts on a real neat crimp and the lid just slides over to produce a weather proof lid.

Nev, would you be able to post a picture or two of the crimp you are referring to?

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No went for easy option piece of metal sheet as a lid held in place with a big log or concrete block 

Start the month with a Pfft.

Off to big wood this morning,  first squirrel was shot from the footpath,  it was doing acrobatics hanging upside down eating Yew berries,  apparently they are very bad for squirrels,  a skinny male with a good few ticks.

The feeder had been hammered with a fair amount of casings on the floor, quick top up and out of sight.

Not long after I hot practically charged by a squirrel from my right,  but I didn't notice it at first,  it was very close, then went up the oak to the side of me and vanished,  only to make her way across to the feeder!?

She then sat nice for a broadside shot between the eye and ear, smack, with a sunflower seed still in her mouth. 

20210901_094553.jpg.d90567ecf073255640bdd6b3076c56da.jpg

I thought she was in great shape and quite a lump, but her throat was covered in ticks. 

I was just thinking of moving #2 when I caught movement to my immediate left, squirrel just wandered off, and when I looked back around anothers tale was just going away through the ferns, I waited a while but neither reappeared. 

Around 8:30 I packed up had a walk then home.

58 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Start the month with a Pfft.

Off to big wood this morning,  first squirrel was shot from the footpath,  it was doing acrobatics hanging upside down eating Yew berries,  apparently they are very bad for squirrels,  a skinny male with a good few ticks.

The feeder had been hammered with a fair amount of casings on the floor, quick top up and out of sight.

Not long after I hot practically charged by a squirrel from my right,  but I didn't notice it at first,  it was very close, then went up the oak to the side of me and vanished,  only to make her way across to the feeder!?

She then sat nice for a broadside shot between the eye and ear, smack, with a sunflower seed still in her mouth. 

20210901_094553.jpg.d90567ecf073255640bdd6b3076c56da.jpg

I thought she was in great shape and quite a lump, but her throat was covered in ticks. 

I was just thinking of moving #2 when I caught movement to my immediate left, squirrel just wandered off, and when I looked back around anothers tale was just going away through the ferns, I waited a while but neither reappeared. 

Around 8:30 I packed up had a walk then home.

👍

I too was up the wood this morning activity around the feeder has definitely slowed seeing 2 bagging one , had a look about and selected 2 good locations for new feeders to go 

4 hours ago, sam triple said:

👍

I too was up the wood this morning activity around the feeder has definitely slowed seeing 2 bagging one , had a look about and selected 2 good locations for new feeders to go 

Just don't forget that things change when the leaves come off, the spot I shot this morning goes from great to totally exposed. 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Just don't forget that things change when the leaves come off, the spot I shot this morning goes from great to totally exposed. 

Yes can’t upload photos but there’s 2 reasonable clearings with a few large beech and ash trees and a few small holly bushes , , I know when the leaves drop it’ll be totally different that why when I built my hide from pallets I covered with a dark tarpaulin and surrounded it with dead branches to help it blend in nothing sees me in it or takes any notice of it now 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Absolutely bud.

I make do with a minimum of artificial material as my locations are very unkempt woodland. Nylon hides would be shredded in one visit. 

I use green clothing, shadows to sit still in, like openish  ground in front of feeders and collect fallen boughs to strategically place breaking outlines.

31 minutes ago, old man said:

Absolutely bud.

I make do with a minimum of artificial material as my locations are very unkempt woodland. Nylon hides would be shredded in one visit. 

I use green clothing, shadows to sit still in, like openish  ground in front of feeders and collect fallen boughs to strategically place breaking outlines.

100%

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Yes can’t upload photos but there’s 2 reasonable clearings with a few large beech and ash trees and a few small holly bushes , , I know when the leaves drop it’ll be totally different that why when I built my hide from pallets I covered with a dark tarpaulin and surrounded it with dead branches to help it blend in nothing sees me in it or takes any notice of it now 

I found last year that once the trees were bare the squirrels just stopped coming, I'm tucked away under the Holly but everything else was exposed,  it's like a totally different place.

Snd if you screenshot the pics you can load them up then 👍

1 hour ago, old man said:

Absolutely bud.

Its obviously working 👍I'm on public access woods mostly so have to keep a low profile,  but I've done just that in the one place I can 😁

42 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I found last year that once the trees were bare the squirrels just stopped coming, I'm tucked away under the Holly but everything else was exposed,  it's like a totally different place.

Snd if you screenshot the pics you can load them up then 👍

Its obviously working 👍I'm on public access woods mostly so have to keep a low profile,  but I've done just that in the one place I can 😁

0C239C35-69DC-4FAD-99B8-87C8EC0524F8.png

FC85725E-F77C-4F24-9AC4-4732DA6D596D.png

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

C5F53E8C-C378-49A8-866B-B209F0E6E248.jpeg

2 minutes ago, sam triple said:

C5F53E8C-C378-49A8-866B-B209F0E6E248.jpeg

With filling the feeder with the same as the pheasant feeders I’m hoping there will be no drop off in numbers visiting come winter my hide will be water proof should it rain 

13 minutes ago, sam triple said:

With filling the feeder with the same as the pheasant feeders I’m hoping there will be no drop off in numbers visiting come winter my hide will be water proof should it rain 

Looks like some cracking spots, I've definitely got nothing open like that 👍

I screenshot then crop, you might put something else up by accident 👍

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Looks like some cracking spots, I've definitely got nothing open like that 👍

I screenshot then crop, you might put something else up by accident 👍

Think I deleted all the dogey stuff before doing those pics !! Area to the right carries on flat for another 20 m or so then drops off like going off the side of a mountain for 200 m full of fallen trees and thick under growth 

Went up to feeder 2 at big wood today,  plan was head to the feeder then take a walk around. 

But I was lead astray,  squirrels were calling and showing in the thermal and mocking me, I spent an hour watching them flit through the tree tops or vanish in brambles!!

So back on plan I turned up at the feeder from the wrong direction and spent an uncomfortable 20 minutes watching the back end of a squirrel,  I squeaked and whistled but it wasn't interested,  but it finally gave enough of an angle for a shot.

20210902_171617.jpg.abf9f72a66a56e3edf70fe3bef4992bb.jpg

It hung for what seemed like forever.

Filled the feeders and headed away. 

Then went and topped up the strip wood feeder which looked like it had been hoovered. 

I topped up the golf course feeder yesterday afternoon,  that was also empty,  with no further damage after the repairs. 

The strange thing was the noise, the whole wood was buzzing,  think racing motorbikes but in the distance,  I kept stopping and looking around to make sure I wasn't about to walk into a swarm of bees.

I walked for ten minutes with the noise growing and dropping,  I think it was flies, but it was spooky,  then walked back out, looking around again. 

So all feeders are now back active again. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Went up to feeder 2 at big wood today,  plan was head to the feeder then take a walk around. 

But I was lead astray,  squirrels were calling and showing in the thermal and mocking me, I spent an hour watching them flit through the tree tops or vanish in brambles!!

So back on plan I turned up at the feeder from the wrong direction and spent an uncomfortable 20 minutes watching the back end of a squirrel,  I squeaked and whistled but it wasn't interested,  but it finally gave enough of an angle for a shot.

20210902_171617.jpg.abf9f72a66a56e3edf70fe3bef4992bb.jpg

It hung for what seemed like forever.

Filled the feeders and headed away. 

Then went and topped up the strip wood feeder which looked like it had been hoovered. 

I topped up the golf course feeder yesterday afternoon,  that was also empty,  with no further damage after the repairs. 

The strange thing was the noise, the whole wood was buzzing,  think racing motorbikes but in the distance,  I kept stopping and looking around to make sure I wasn't about to walk into a swarm of bees.

I walked for ten minutes with the noise growing and dropping,  I think it was flies, but it was spooky,  then walked back out, looking around again. 

So all feeders are now back active again. 

Nice one