Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Some of you will have noted that I probably put a parting down the hair of a squirrel last week. Well mt wife had seen probably said squirrel back on the same feeding table so I went down there this afternoon and sure enough it turned up. Climbed on the table and picking up a peanut began to eat it.  Cross hairs neatly placed just along the bridge of nose(facing towards me) and eased the trigger off....#######!!!!!!$$$~~~~~!!!!!! me if it did not do the same again ducked just as the pellet began it's journey. If that tree rat doesn't have two partings....well it certainly is living a charmed life until tomorrow afternoon.

I want a picture of this squirrels hair cut when you catch it😅😅

@Sciurus have you seen this week's weather forecast 😭😭😭

Haven't been out much after the squirrels as every day off I have had seems to have been wet but I did manage a few hours on saturday, the feeder level has hardly moved down over the last three weeks and when I have been there the squirrels have stuck to the tree tops and not come near. However I did have some luck as a grey settled on the box after about an hour of waiting and duly succumbed to a jsb, it started raining not long after so I decided to leave, just as well as it really did start to come down, stair rods as they say.

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

I want a picture of this squirrels hair cut when you catch it😅😅

@Sciurus have you seen this week's weather forecast 😭😭😭

It has been seen this morning, same feed table. Only one in the wood at this moment so will see if it turns up this afternoon.

You look to be needing your waders, down here we could get away with it weather wise.  Fine and dry at the moment.

Well as expected it did come back to the same feed table so I did not take any further chances and whacked it through the ribs. It bounced of into thick nettles and brambles for the night shift to clear up, so no photos of the partings 😄. AND again another was seen at the opposite end of the wood sneaking in.  They keep coming. 

Went to the golf course this morning for day break but nothing came to the flip top where I have shot 32 to date.  I therefore moved that flip top to another very good looking location and then went to my second site and there was a tree rat half in half out filling its mouth. I had left the rifle in the Landy as I had a large bucket of mixture to top off the flip top. I plan to shoot this again on Sunday morning next, so this cheeky one will be high on the list. 

I went out this afternoon,  I pretty much had to.

Screenshot_20211026-191249_XCWeather.jpg.7e3054c7610ff0bbecc6f1c0cb2deede.jpg

Screenshot_20211026-191314_XCWeather.jpg.60e5508295d8c96e7bf045559942b9fc.jpg

It was already blowing a lot, I did manage to get one male.

Screenshot_20211026-191644_Gallery.jpg.7ad04ce5418ac4b92fef89d754ffc0ae.jpg

He was up in a tree swaying about loads,  took a good while trying to time the shot, and needed another shot once he hit the floor.

I did see a couple of others but it was half 5 and the light was starting to go.

Whilst looking around I spotted a Holly tree that looked like it was decorated for Xmas, there must have been 30 birds in it all glowing in the thermal,  probably all different tits getting settled in for the night.

I'd walked past feeder 1 on my way in which had 4 pheasants under it, and walked out in the dark past feeder 2, it was polished it was so empty,  I added some feed and headed for the car, seemed very strange walking out in the dark.

@Sciurus batten down the hatches mate and bring on November,  because October hasn't been very productive. 

My foray yesterday was every bit as poor as expected.

I met up with a pal at 7.30 am, it was still dark and murky with heavy drizzle. It was a new permission to me, part of a large wood that sloped onto the lake. This wood is the main passage way for greys to move move north on that side of the lake. The lake was 3 or 4 foot deeper than usual and we sat in the van drinking tea,  watching waves slopping onto the car park. Neither of us really wanted to get out in it.

About 8.15, we decided we could just about tell red from grey and that having made the effort we to get there, we should have a walk about. I kept my gun in the slip to keep it dry. We walked along the deserted tourist footpath along the shore and then climbed up the slope into the wood. I was pleasantly surprised, I was expecting a block of fir, but it was quite a mix of oak, Douglas fir, ancient yew and old coppicing with attractive banks for foraging squirrels. 

Alas, it was not to be. After a 2 hour walk, we only saw one small flock of tits, 1 robin, 1 blackbird and 1 woodpigeon. No red deer or rabbits and certainly no squirrels. Everything was hunkered down for the day. We didn’t even detect a glow in tree holes from either owls or squirrels.

I was wearing and old tweed shooting coat and flat cap and as I took them off, I definitely felt a few stone lighter! The gun was soaked. A bad day but the wood definitely showed promise for when it eventually stops raining.

@Mice! I bumped into the chap who used shoot your big wood (aka the Hill). He is having his hip replaced this week- I wonder why?!!!😇

4 hours ago, Sciurus said:

bumped into the chap who used shoot your big wood (aka the Hill). He is having his hip replaced this week- I wonder why?!!!😇

The trick is to walk clockwise one week and anti the next week 😄😄

And not go when it has been raining constantly for days, it'll be like a toboggan ride up there now.

7 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:

I've got a meeting tomorrow with a local nature reserve so fingers crossed I'll be able to get a feeder up in a part which they close off to public and get some more numbers in the bag 👍

Good luck, but just because it's closed to the public doesn't mean they don't go there.

Had two invied walk right past the flip top this morning. Private golf course no pub;lic access/footpath but they still appear.  Wonder what they would have to say if you went for a stole in their front garden, never mind the back garden.

Trespass here in the UK is a joke.  When in Texas it was just the opposite. Do NOT step over my boundary line my Texan friend said when I went for a stroll around his 48 square mile ranch.  Three outsiders did whilst we were there and had their truck crushed and one got 3 months as a repeat offender.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had two invied walk right past the flip top this morning. Private golf course no pub;lic access/footpath but they still appear.  Wonder what they would have to say if you went for a stole in their front garden, never mind the back garden.

Trespass here in the UK is a joke.  When in Texas it was just the opposite. Do NOT step over my boundary line my Texan friend said when I went for a stroll around his 48 square mile ranch.  Three outsiders did whilst we were there and had their truck crushed and one got 3 months as a repeat offender.

Many years ago in a similar situation just on dusk I was treated to the start of some full on procreation, I think the kick on the side of a metal shed jollied things up for them? Some clothing was abandoned. 😄