squirrel control

Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I had a decent morning,  I saw a few I couldn't get near, I was stalking through the golf course wood,  often two trees between me plus scrub.

I had one bang to rights but it was along side a hole with golfer's there so I waited, they chatted, then left and another old fella appeared rooting along the fence line 🙈

Had to leave that one, but I circled back around and managed three on my way back to the start of the wood.

Screenshot_20211117-170954_Gallery.jpg.919280f6f128661bcff29fb1f1e954b1.jpgScreenshot_20211117-170932_Gallery.jpg.7abd73e54785d25336a69583788531d1.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-170940_Gallery.jpg.769911bcddf057aa2e72c715827a2d41.jpg

Very small male, a mature female and male, two out of the oaks and one out of a hawthorn tree.

I didn't go out till 7am and was surprised at the numbers I saw.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well I had a decent morning,  I saw a few I couldn't get near, I was stalking through the golf course wood,  often two trees between me plus scrub.

I had one bang to rights but it was along side a hole with golfer's there so I waited, they chatted, then left and another old fella appeared rooting along the fence line 🙈

Had to leave that one, but I circled back around and managed three on my way back to the start of the wood.

Screenshot_20211117-170954_Gallery.jpg.919280f6f128661bcff29fb1f1e954b1.jpgScreenshot_20211117-170932_Gallery.jpg.7abd73e54785d25336a69583788531d1.jpg

Screenshot_20211117-170940_Gallery.jpg.769911bcddf057aa2e72c715827a2d41.jpg

Very small male, a mature female and male, two out of the oaks and one out of a hawthorn tree.

I didn't go out till 7am and was surprised at the numbers I saw.

👍 didn’t squirrels once hibernate?

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

👍 didn’t squirrels once hibernate?

They don't hibernate mate, don't think they ever have, but they will stay tucked up in bed for a few days if the weather gets really bad, this is why people are shooting so many massive squirrels at the moment,  they're getting ready for winter.

14 hours ago, old man said:

Out Tuesday morning, not a sight of anything other than a couple of rabbits. Nothing out of feeders.

Certain someone else using my set up so that may account for something? Time will tell?

Yes, I went to top up one of my feeders and found the front armour plate splattered with air gun pellet strikes, I think they were probably practicing, still squirrels about.

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Wasn’t sure as I’ve never seen so many around at this time of year before but double temp figures in November probably has something to do with it 

Won't just be the numbers,  it's because your tuned into looking for them now, any twitchy branch has you looking for a squirrel. 

And yes it's warm out, I had a sweat on this morning but I finished with another two big females 😳 but also missed one??

19 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Won't just be the numbers,  it's because your tuned into looking for them now, any twitchy branch has you looking for a squirrel. 

And yes it's warm out, I had a sweat on this morning but I finished with another two big females 😳 but also missed one??

Yes you’re probably right agsin 😂👍

It was ~~~~~~~ cold out this morning. I set up overlooking a new position on the golf course and was well early and at 7am could just make out the flip top. At 07.10 I heard a clank as the lid was lifeted and had a look through my scope and could just see a squirrel sat cheing on a peanut.  Now my scope has very fine cross hairs and I had to concentrate to get them lined up on the target but eventually did and said squirrel fell off not feeling very well.  I then sat until 0.850 and not a sign of any further movement.  Had a look across all the adjacent fairways and nothing  moving where normally you can see two or three or more runing about.   It was cold and wonder if that kept them in bed.  I cannot believe the 47 I have shot across the opposite side has depleted them that much.   Back again on Sunday to have another look.

Do you experts on these things think that they stay put on cold mornings?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I think they will stay put until hunger gets them when its cold, and with good fat reserves they could stay in for a while, just nipping out on a warmer morning/spell for a top up of food and a warm in the sun.

Just to add I notice early warm summer mornings the are very active and with the colder autumn mornings they stay in a bit longer(most of the time) as if waiting for the sun to get up.

Edited by powler

4 hours ago, sam triple said:

Wasn’t sure as I’ve never seen so many around at this time of year before but double temp figures in November probably has something to do with it 

Absolutely, and they will be breeding again because of the mild weather and plentiful food supplies. We should see more young out and about in the New Year.

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well that's not good, especially if you don't know who they are or when they are going.

18 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sounds like the place for a well hidden trail camera.

Pretty sure the GK knows, his terms to dictate access.

Trail cam would be gone in a wink, footpaths and all and sundry?

Have to suck it up.

6 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Yes, I went to top up one of my feeders and found the front armour plate splattered with air gun pellet strikes, I think they were probably practicing, still squirrels about.

Lucky, lucky.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I definitely think the cold, wind or rain will keep them tucked up, the two I shot this morning were both big girls, probably been eating sweet chestnuts for weeks, it had rained over night, I'd checked a few hundred images of the trail camera and today's squirrel on the feeder arrived a good 30 mins late, I'm guessing the cloud cover kept it tucked up in bed late.

3 hours ago, old man said:

Pretty sure the GK knows, his terms to dictate access

I understand that, but it would be nice to know when the other fella had been out, but GK can be fickle. 

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Mate went to check the feeders found top off of the feed barrel! One of 2 options a deers nudged it off or someone has been playing around up there , the amount of people that he’s kicked off there I’d go with the latter 😡

Get a rock on the lid, or a paving slab, less chance of someone putting in any effort to have a look??

36 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I definitely think the cold, wind or rain will keep them tucked up, the two I shot this morning were both big girls, probably been eating sweet chestnuts for weeks, it had rained over night, I'd checked a few hundred images of the trail camera and today's squirrel on the feeder arrived a good 30 mins late, I'm guessing the cloud cover kept it tucked up in bed late.

I understand that, but it would be nice to know when the other fella had been out, but GK can be fickle. 

Get a rock on the lid, or a paving slab, less chance of someone putting in any effort to have a look??

Had a log and a large lump of flint on it