Carpet Fitting

Danger-Mouse

I'm moving into a new place and it's uncarpeted so I need to buy carpets and have them fitted. Having never done this before I have no idea how much I should expect to pay per metre squared. One place I know offers free fitting but it's on the proviso that I buy underlay from them at around £6 p m2 . Given that it's a rental property and I might decide to leave after a relatively short time I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the carpets. Something nice-ish for the lounge but definitely budget carpets for the bedrooms.

If I look for an individual rather than a big company what kind of price is reasonable?

If anyone knows a trustworthy fitter in the Rotherham area please let me know.

10 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

If its a rental wouldn't it be up to the landlord to provide a suitable floor covering?

It's completely unfurnished, I knew that when I took it. So no, not up to the landlord.

It would have been a sticking matter but there were no fees for letting, no bond required and just 1 weeks rent up front.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

1 hour ago, Danger-Mouse said:

I'm moving into a new place and it's uncarpeted so I need to buy carpets and have them fitted. Having never done this before I have no idea how much I should expect to pay per metre squared. One place I know offers free fitting but it's on the proviso that I buy underlay from them at around £6 p m2 . Given that it's a rental property and I might decide to leave after a relatively short time I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the carpets. Something nice-ish for the lounge but definitely budget carpets for the bedrooms.

If I look for an individual rather than a big company what kind of price is reasonable?

If anyone knows a trustworthy fitter in the Rotherham area please let me know.

If I was you I would go online to , online carpets or www bigwarehousesale . co . uk / carpet , both are well in line with any local stores .

The underlay I got from online carpets was Treadair Dreamwalk and the price was under £3 a metre , a good  £4 a metre cheaper than Carpet right and with free delivery which came two days after I ordered it , both of them were advertising free delivery on orders £95 or over .

I laid all the underlay myself and got a fitter in to do the carpet which took less than a hour , sorry i cant help you out with a fitter in your area , but GOOD LUCK in finding one.

Have you thought of carpet tiles?

They look a bit utalitarian but a mate has them in a rented office space, when we put them down we used a small patch of carpet glue on each edging and threshold one to make lifting easy, doesnt seem to have any issues with them lifting from what i am aware and has a cleaning company in and they manage to Hoover (i assume on a low setting)

ex fitter here use marsh mans advice with the underlay. always under half price of what shops retail. also if your using underlay you'll need gripper rods. From the shop they charge £1 a metre / online you'll buy a box of 120 metres for under £30. 

if you've uneven floorboards upstairs I'd also use a cheaper underlay as it will make the backing of the carpet last longer/thus carpet lasting longer. Or get a feltback carpet with a extra thick backing ( usually carpet right do very cheap loop pile felt back with very thick backings for £5-8 pm). Also good for insulation  (sound and heating) 

Most fitters I've ever worked with charge fitting of £2.50-3.50 per metre with a minimum job cost of £50 otherwise it wasnt worth the drive to the job. 

To sum it up - go to a shop, see what you like then order it online. Oh and don't use carpet right as the all in one, rubbish customer service. 

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

My lounge is nearly 18 foot x 15 and it was £70 , most of them around here charge about £2.50 a meter for fitting.

£70 for the fitting? What did the carpet, underlay etc cost please? 

Just buying a house and my gf wants to re-carpet - they just think things don’t cost money ?‍♂️?

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just buying a house and my gf wants to re-carpet - they just think things don’t cost money ?‍♂️?

At Online carpets the cheapest carpets are £3.50 pm squared and go right up to about £25 pm squared. The underlay is fairly cheap, a couple of quid pm squared.

It seems pretty logical that you're going to want better quality carpets in areas that see a lot of traffic, like stairs and the lounge whereas the bedrooms you can get away with something a little cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Carpet was just over £300 as I had to get a 5mtr wide one and the underlay from online carpets was nearly £90 for 25mtrs , post free.

Carpet Right quoted me just over £550 for the same job , so I saved myself just under £100 .

danger mouse- not a lot of use with them tbh only ripping them up to change. I remember they leave a mess as they are sprayed down. useless on stairs. backing would come off to easy. but without being snobbish its all down to what you can afford. I've put down £35 mtr sea weed (no joke) before that looked **** then on the next job £3mtr felt back off cut/roll ends which looked the ********. If I was on a budget I'd get a thick felt back (unless it' going on to stone floor) and skip the underlay. Saves on underlay,grippers and spray. 

excuse the swearing it's thatchers haze night for me:yahoo:

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

danger mouse- not a lot of use with them tbh only ripping them up to change. I remember they leave a mess as they are sprayed down. useless on stairs. backing would come off to easy. but without being snobbish its all down to what you can afford. I've put down £35 mtr sea weed (no joke) before that looked **** then on the next job £3mtr felt back off cut/roll ends which looked the ********. If I was on a budget I'd get a thick felt back (unless it' going on to stone floor) and skip the underlay. Saves on underlay,grippers and spray. 

Great, just the kind of advice I was looking for, tyvm. :good: