Not ever, never

Walker570

My 1989 L:an Rover 90 is in hospital having it's heads skimmed and new gaskets, plus a new radiator and a fancy lubricating system for the valve guides as I run on LPG.

A very good friend loaned me his 3yr old Toyota Pick up for three weeks of which I was very grateful, so what I am about to say may seem unappreciative... it isn't.

It is just my appraisal of this truck against my Land Rover 90.   For starters, it has an alarm fitted which has a mind of it's own and which goes off after you have driven it three or four miles.

I eased away from a junction on the first day and thought I had blown the clutch but realised that it was the back wheel spinning on some wet leaves. Jeepers this motor is light on the back end. I can turn around in my yard with the Landie in one sweep where this truck needed three bites to get round ... I now know why my friend always reverses in.

The visibility to the rear makes reversing in a tight spot a guessing game. Set the mirrors on the Landie and you can see both corners clearly down to the exhaust line.

It did turn out to be economical but then I filled up the tank and thought I better ring the bank manager.   LPG locally is between 65 and 69 a litre................

I'm sorry Mr Toyota but your truck disappointed me and I will continue to drive and maintain my Landie.  

I have a Jaguar to take the better half out and my Landie 4.9 V8 starts first time every time. It does occasionally have a certain 'air' about it, but there again it is a hunting vehicle.

I also don't need a long handled fork to reach that tool box at the far end of the bed.    Give me a shout in 30yrs if your pick up is still running.:yes: 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have a Jaguar to take the better half out and my Landie 4.9 V8 starts first time every time. It does occasionally have a certain 'air' about it, but there again it is a hunting vehicle.

I also don't need a long handled fork to reach that tool box at the far end of the bed.    Give me a shout in 30yrs if your pick up is still running. 

I would imagine you're right Walker 570 about the viability of a jap 4x4 in 30 years. But you would probably have empty pockets after the 30 years due to replacing items being replaced that have failed. Along with rust repairs. Where as the Jap truck would have cost very little over that time period. Don't get me wrong, i love the 90, it's a cracking "tractor" if you get my drift?

I have to be honest and say i have not owned a 90, but have used one for a short term loan some time back, and now have a jap 4x4. (If you can call an X-Trail a 4x4..) They are worlds apart. I would imagine the jap 4x4 may not be as capable off road as the Landie???, but the Jap 4x4 is more refined, and comfortable across the board, and will be every time i expect. It can also be used as a daily comfortable commuter vehicle.     I don't think most could say that about a Landy 90... I did think of getting a 90, but was advised by a local well respected mechanic not too, due to unreliability, and or cost of continual repairs. Not that it would cost me much as i'm not too bad on the spanners, if my back isn't playing up...

However, saying all that, you have an lpg conversion, and a huge V8, which i imagine not only sounds awesome, but has reasonable running costs.

atb

James

Two very different vehicles, Land Rovers are a marmite car really. For most people the pick ups now are great dual purpose vehicles, that’s me included. There’s no doubt a 90 has a certain charm, I’ve got a 200 Tdi 90 and a modern L200, but for most things the pick up wins hands down, I see defenders as a hobby vehicle really. 

My main dislike was how awkward the truck was compared with the 90 in tight places, needing three , four and sometimes five point turns., almost as bad as a Land Rover 110.  My Land Rover 90 cost me £800 initially ten years ago, I have spent £3000 on the engine and gearbox and £2000 on a galvanised chassis, £65 on a second hand Range Rover Classic rear axle/disc brakes.  The LPG set up cost me a further £1000.  £6800 total.  It has never failed to start during that period. 

During that 10yrs and just over 110,000 miles of hard graft, other than the present blown head gasket,  it has failed me a couple of times , distributor  related and a bad gearbox build initially caused problems, but quickly sorted. 

I would not swop it for the world, like my right arm:yes: and fore see it doing another 100,000. 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

Each to their own, I'll stick to my Toyota thanks. It's quiet, warm, very comfortable doesn't smell of dead carcass's so I can take the Mrs out in her best ball gown without worrying of getting carp on it. 

Oh and it starts when I turn the key. 

I am with this fella, i had a 110 for years was ok but to compare it to Toyota No sorry not even in the same league no where near.

As for spinning out at the rear a 2wwd truck is that until 4wd selected off road poor conditions  where as your LR has permanent 4 so grip off the line will be easier found perhaps.

If you like LRs i do for sure, that’s fine but to dish toyotas well i just think its wrong they are as good as it gets in 4x4s.

done 80k in a 109 long wheel based safari 1 engine 3 gearbox lay shafts 1 galvanised chassis loved it don't know why then bought a range rover classic soft dash v8 really loved it converted to 300tdi bigger intercooler opened pump up better than v8 and 30 mpg beat td5 anywhere shooting on salt marsh stunk like hell both vehicles dogs clothes waders etc now drive a jap double cab and would never go back 

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I also don't need a long handled fork to reach that tool box at the far end of the bed.    Give me a shout in 30yrs if your pick up is still running.:yes: 

After 30 years most landrovers are as original as trigger's broom.

12 hours ago, bornfree said:

After 30 years most landrovers are as original as trigger's broom.

Not necessarily so; my Defender (1993 200 TDI which I have owned since 1997) has had 1 x clutch plate, 1 x starter motor, 2 x exhausts, 2 x batteries, 1 x set clutch hydraulic cylinders, 1 x set shock absorbers, 1 x windscreen washer pump, 5 x cam belts, an indicator flasher unit and a few chassis rubber bushes, bulbs, brake pads and a belt or two.  No welding to date - and will soon need a power steering pump.

Biggest cost to date (apart from license, fuel and insurance) has been having the cam belt changed every few years!

It doesn't get pampered, being serviced/MoT'd every year and washed every 3rd year ........ and I did once clean out the inside.

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not necessarily so; my Defender (1993 200 TDI which I have owned since 1997) has had 1 x clutch plate, 1 x starter motor, 2 x exhausts, 2 x batteries, 1 x set clutch hydraulic cylinders, 1 x set shock absorbers, 1 x windscreen washer pump, 5 x cam belts, an indicator flasher unit and a few chassis rubber bushes, bulbs, brake pads and a belt or two.  No welding to date - and will soon need a power steering pump.

Biggest cost to date (apart from license, fuel and insurance) has been having the cam belt changed every few years!

It doesn't get pampered, being serviced/MoT'd every year and washed every 3rd year ........ and I did once clean out the inside.

A few bushes . :)a good few in 200k my 110 had must have been a dozen panard rod bushes and mountings ujs bearings was a constant maintainance project , i honestly can not remember ever using it when it did not have some job waiting to be done on it the next weekend.

I have memories of me in the workshop with the LR jacked up and the kids sat watching me repair it, since the spring when i sold it and got a crappy Renault Kangoo van to run around in i have so much spare time i can not believe it, done more fishing and shooting this year than i have ever done and fuel i am saving money hand over fist compared to the 110.

Wife as a Land cruiser and i can not remember last time it needed anything other than servicing, it had a shocker bush on advice two mots ago i changed that and brake light bulb went in march, its faultless.

I can not see me ever getting another life is too short, ok if you toddle 5 miles to the marsh three times a week or up the lane check the cattle that sort of thing, but up and down to scotland twice a month at least in the season 10 to  12 hours each wayand 400 miles a week routine running around   they cant take it, if its not one thing its another them.

I will say this The 07 Kangoo van is taking this without a single complaint i intended keeping it about two months until i found something better but its proving excellent and i can see me running it a long time yet if it keeps on like it is doing.

• 1 month later...

Love my Invincible. It’s juicy but never had an issue. 

Definitely needs weight in the back. The traction control is also very finicky I find and kicks in the minute the wheel starts to slip cutting the output power. 

If they had a decent LSD on the back you’d have no issues. 

The alarm issue must be a fault with that car. Mine only ever goes off if you lock it with the windows open and someone walks past. 

On 18/11/2017 at 19:27, Walker570 said:

If you put the time and money into a Toyota, every year like a Landy, it would probably run for the next 300yrs!

Edit: and cost you less!!

Edited by silver pigeon69

I loved my 90 on an 04 plate 60k on it, but it was just not a sensible machine. Doors would freeze in winter, it was hopeless on the open road, the windows often would not wind down, the screen was like looking through a slot, the heater was a joke and it was simply too small. The Hilux works in all respects and it has a power heat button :lol:

I have a 24yr old hilux, bar the odd bush or the usual consumables i.e brake pads etc it doesnt cost me anything year in year out, starts on the button, doesnt leak oil and is warm and comfortable. I love the thing.

On the flip side a mate has landrovers, he is ALWAYS doing something to them and his drive way is more mortor oil than drive way!

Having said that, I do love a landrover, but would never own one!

Edited by thepasty

4 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

If you put the time and money into a Toyota, every year like a Landy, it would probably run for the next 300yrs!

Edit: and cost you less!!

I don't have to keep stopping to put it in 4 wheel drive though to stop the *** end slewing about all over the place at the slightest patch of wet leaves. Ni thank you.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't have to keep stopping to put it in 4 wheel drive though to stop the *** end slewing about all over the place at the slightest patch of wet leaves. Ni thank you.

I suppose if your used to something that has little power and a 10minute delay before the engine realises you have pressed the accelerator, then you may have trouble getting used to the power of the Hilux.:lol:

3 hours ago, daveboy said:

I have a sweeping brush that is 30 years old.......It's just had 7 new heads and 4 new handles.:yahoo:

It probably still has more orriginal parts than a 30yr old landy!