Not ever, never

Walker570

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't have to keep stopping to put it in 4 wheel drive though to stop the *** end slewing about all over the place at the slightest patch of wet leaves. Ni thank you.

Thats probably more your driving style and not being used to a rear wheel drive vehicle... its a rear wheel drive thing not just a hilux thing.

Edited by thepasty

It's not really a like for like comparison though is it?

You might as well compare the load carrying capability of an E class estate to a Mini, or the ease of parking a VW UP versus a Q7.

They are different animals with some areas of crossover.  You could put a full pallet of beer in the back of the Hilux, where is that going to go in the 90?

I wonder how long the blind loyalty to the defender will last once the first of the new hairdresser models rolls out of the factory.i own a defender and a hilux.both the same year but the hilux has done double the mileage of the l/rover. If the reports of what the new model looks like are true it's a great shame the brand could not show the same loyalty to its customers as they have enjoyed for many many years.

On 18/11/2017 at 21:06, jam1e said:

I would imagine you're right Walker 570 about the viability of a jap 4x4 in 30 years. But you would probably have empty pockets after the 30 years due to replacing items being replaced that have failed. Along with rust repairs. Where as the Jap truck would have cost very little over that time period. Don't get me wrong, i love the 90, it's a cracking "tractor" if you get my drift?

I have to be honest and say i have not owned a 90, but have used one for a short term loan some time back, and now have a jap 4x4. (If you can call an X-Trail a 4x4..) They are worlds apart. I would imagine the jap 4x4 may not be as capable off road as the Landie???, but the Jap 4x4 is more refined, and comfortable across the board, and will be every time i expect. It can also be used as a daily comfortable commuter vehicle.     I don't think most could say that about a Landy 90... I did think of getting a 90, but was advised by a local well respected mechanic not too, due to unreliability, and or cost of continual repairs. Not that it would cost me much as i'm not too bad on the spanners, if my back isn't playing up...

However, saying all that, you have an lpg conversion, and a huge V8, which i imagine not only sounds awesome, but has reasonable running costs.

atb

James

I've got an X-Trail currently on hire as courtesy car for my Land Rover.

Has all the mod cons and is comfortable enough, I'm not sure if there are different specs but this is most definitely not a 4x4 it's FWD i couldn't believe a car of its size was wheelspinning in a greasy wet conditions pulling away from a junction.

It seems very low to, I'm used to looking down upon the peasants but in this I'm at the same level and it is simply not good enough for my ego..

6 hours ago, Matty89 said:

I've got an X-Trail currently on hire as courtesy car for my Land Rover.

Has all the mod cons and is comfortable enough, I'm not sure if there are different specs but this is most definitely not a 4x4 it's FWD i couldn't believe a car of its size was wheelspinning in a greasy wet conditions pulling away from a junction.

It seems very low to, I'm used to looking down upon the peasants but in this I'm at the same level and it is simply not good enough for my ego..

I bought a 55 plate X-Trial around a year ago. Great bit of kit, if you have the right tyre's on it. No idea about the new ones... Probably like any other company. Focusing more on the family 'Chelsea tractor' that a real 4x4.   I know a fair few Land rover owners. And most of them agree they're just not reliable, despite regular servicing.... They agree they need constant 'fettling'  to keep them on the road.. The one's that get a garage to do their work, agree it costs a fortune to keep them on the road, despite regular maintenance.  I love the idea of an English 4x4, despite the company probably being owned by another country.... But it's the cost. My ex-brother in law had one for 10 years. Yet it spent most of it's time waiting to be repaired by him, as he's qualified to do it... 

22 hours ago, bostonmick said:

I wonder how long the blind loyalty to the defender will last once the first of the new hairdresser models rolls out of the factory.i own a defender and a hilux.both the same year but the hilux has done double the mileage of the l/rover. If the reports of what the new model looks like are true it's a great shame the brand could not show the same loyalty to its customers as they have enjoyed for many many years.

I think it's the lack of loyalty in terms of volume sales that has led to it's demise. Loyal following yes but it's like one of those Mooney cults, a blind faith that cannot see the evident truth that non followers see. :whistling:

13 hours ago, GingerCat said:

There's a reason terrorists/foreign armies  mount 50 cal machine guns and mortars to the back of toyota pick ups that they then drive round the desert getting shot at and it' isint because the 90 is more reliable or easier to maintain or has a bit less wheel spin. 

Not enough room to pray in the back of a 90 pickup ? 

15 hours ago, oowee said:

I think it's the lack of loyalty in terms of volume sales that has led to it's demise. Loyal following yes but it's like one of those Mooney cults, a blind faith that cannot see the evident truth that non followers see. :whistling:

I think it was more to do with them being hand assembled and therefore not enough profit.as no doubt the new model will be robot built.by the same robots that currently install all the gremlins into the rest of the l/r range

Granted a bog standard defender is a dated road tractor and you have got to know what you are letting yourself. A  landy test drive is a must.  But please stop giving the impression that jap stuff don't have any issues Bought my hilux second hand had seized callipers a leaking load valve drive shaft  cv s knocked and many  a  leaf spring snapped in the 14 months I had it. Not to mention the body rot .

Bought my 90 new in 05  travel to my permission every weekend  120 mile round trip plus every day transport I tow trailers and a caravan take it of road often and yes it has to be maintained rear drive shafts and flanges  lots of propshaft uj's brake discs gearbox shaft/bearing and seals, starter motor, track rod ends and shocker bushes all these over 12 years. So buyer beware more so if it's a used vehicle jap or landy if its not maintained it probably will let you down. 

6 hours ago, bostonmick said:

I think it was more to do with them being hand assembled and therefore not enough profit.as no doubt the new model will be robot built.by the same robots that currently install all the gremlins into the rest of the l/r range

Dont say that my wife just bought a new one :unhappy::lol:

I can’t understsnd why people buy Landrovers if they aren’t fans or they are the unreliable money pits some claim they are. 

Ive just bought a fresh one but still have my 1974 90, which has been my daily use work vehicle for the past five years. It has a 200tdi of unknown mileage in it and starts first time every time, and by that I don’t mean it turns over and then fires; it just simply fires. Considering the mileage it must have done ( especially with me ) it hasn’t cost me any more than any other works vehicle I’ve had. Admittedly there are better vehicles on the road, but I can’t help thinking that Landrovers popularity, iconic status and almost cult like following clearly narks some folk. Strange really.