Disgusting

mattyg1086

Was out on my local shoot today, some weeks I beat others I pick up with my spaniel.  Got chatting to the game keeper who has started beating on another shoot who shoot 100s of birds each shoot day and along with a couple of shoots nearby have invested in an incinerator.   Most of the guns won't take a bird so they burn them,  I was horrified and said that that should be a crime and it does no end of damage to our sport if we are to try and portrait a good image to the public.  I hate seeing the guns at the end of the day just walk away empty handed why shoot a bird if your not going to take any home it seems they are just there for the killing and it just doesn't sit right with me.    Has anyone on here experienced similar? Maybe we could give them to a charity or something if they are not used at the end of a day that would be good PR   

Edited by mattyg1086

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree, personally I think its morally wrong to shoot and take nothing to eat. We shot today and all birds were taken home. Beaters get first choice (as we don't reward them) guns took the rest.

I don't understand why we have families  going to food banks when we have good fresh food going begging, makes me mad! Rant over....?

It’s gone on for years and will carry on , just the same as some pigeon shooters sling there birds in the dyke or under a hedge at the end of the day. Some of the big game shoots burn / throw away hundreds of birds hoping thE the public won’t find out about it. 

However ......... 

One of the problems is there are very few real eating establishments these days with real chefs.  Buy ready prepared/frozen pop in the micro wave instant meal, doesn't take a whole lot of training. See Brakes vans almost every day around here delivery these ready to go meals.

One or two enlightened shoots are starting to oven prepare themselves both for guns and to sell to local outlets, very successfully.

I will always ask if there are any damaged birds as I can recycle those into game pies.

59 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

Completely agree, shoot to eat. In my opinion guns who refuses to take home game should not be asked back. The amount of effort that goes into rearing these birds is huge. 

Such a shame.

totally agree. It is very rude not to take at least one brace. It only goes to show that there is a section of townie shooters that do not understand etiquette.

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

It’s big business. Suggesting a gun is asked not to return if he/she refuses to take birds just isn’t feasible and a bit naive.

dont agree, its not naive its etiquette

57 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

Completely agree, shoot to eat. In my opinion guns who refuses to take home game should not be asked back. The amount of effort that goes into rearing these birds is huge. 

Such a shame.

The guns have done there bit in maintaining the shoot by paying for the privilege to be there shooting x number of game , at the end of the day they are offered a brace , it is entirely up to them if they want a brace or if they don't , if all the guns up and down the country were not asked back because they said no to a brace of birds , I am afraid a lot of commercial shoots would no longer exist , you cannot blame the paying guns for the mass of unwanted game that is currently available in the country at the moment , ....... or can you ? ,

While I agree with most of wot has been said, I also don't think it does much good widely publising it.

I'm not going to say we should bury our heads in the sand, but constantly washing our laundry in public does not do shooting much favours either.

Its all very well moaning to mates but when u start putting it online its there for the whole world to see forever

I've been around commercial shooting for decades now on some pretty big shoots and have heard odd rumors over the years but never ever believed them, in the past.

Althou I must admit i could see the potential for it now with game dealers charging or refusing to take them in some cases.

6 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I have shot at loads of estates where I haven’t even been asked if I’d like a brace, I’m always gutted when they don’t ask as I love preparing game! 

This season at least 50% of the time I haven’t been asked if I’d like any! 

They probably assume u don't as most won't.

I bet there is not a keeper out there who would not gave u a few brace esp if u have just taken a day. Most keepers would be quite chuft u wanted them, just ask next time I bet he will ask how many u want