Just four guns

Whitester

Been thinking for a while which four guns would cover all bases in shooting terms.

here are mine

12 gauge over and under - can be used for for clays ,rough shooting and game , so anything in the air.

sub 12 ft lbs air - covers anything around buildings or where richochet could be an issue and most small game out to 40 yards

17 hmr - covers all ground game out to 150 yards and can double up as a foxing tool.

243- with this you can cover all deer species at a push and foxes.

Just a bit of fun really , although couldn't get rid of my 22 lr and i'll

certainly be buying a .223 for my 40th:)

Just four for UK.  I will even do make and models.

Rifle for deer fox vermin. Ruger 77 or Tikka T3 in .2506 Remington.

Small rifle food provider vermin pest even with .22shotshells for buildings .

.22LR a Bruno 452.

Shotguns.  Wildfowling fox general shotgun inc clays a Browning 425 waterfowl 3.5 inch.

Game gun where you want a lighter shotgun walked up and pigeon vermin with spaniels and such jobs AYA no 4   26 inch .

14 hours ago, Whitester said:

Been thinking for a while which four guns would cover all bases in shooting terms.

here are mine

12 gauge over and under - can be used for for clays ,rough shooting and game , so anything in the air.

sub 12 ft lbs air - covers anything around buildings or where richochet could be an issue and most small game out to 40 yards

17 hmr - covers all ground game out to 150 yards and can double up as a foxing tool.

243- with this you can cover all deer species at a push and foxes.

Just a bit of fun really , although couldn't get rid of my 22 lr and i'll

certainly be buying a .223 for my 40th:)

You need to rethink your rather loose 12 bore requirement. I would not wish to carry my 32" Trap gun on a walked up day, I would use a nice lightweight SxS for that.

I would not use the same lightweight SxS for a registered clay competition. The Semi-Auto has its place on the foreshore especially with heavy non toxic loads.

I would agree with your other three choices with the addition of a .22" RF for rabbits.

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You need to rethink your rather loose 12 bore requirement. I would not wish to carry my 32" Trap gun on a walked up day, I would use a nice lightweight SxS for that.

I would not use the same lightweight SxS for a registered clay competition. The Semi-Auto has its place on the foreshore especially with heavy non toxic loads.

I would agree with your other three choices with the addition of a .22" RF for rabbits.

My o/u is a 30 inch sporter which I consider light enough to carry around but each to their own I guess

12g shotgun, if only 1 then a 3inch over and under

17hmr for bunnys

Fac air rifle in 22, close range around buildings and what not 

308 for deer and boar 

That's what I'd do, in saying that I've just got a bigger cabinet that can fit 7 in so need to squeeze a couple more in from that list :lol: add in a 223, 260 and and a 338 for long range just for that itch :lol:

As I forgot to put my 4 in:

12b O/U – Something with a 3” chamber should be fine for most things – a sporter will do skeet and sporting clays, pheasants, walked up, and plenty of choice in 3” non-tox that are capable for geese

.22 lr for bunny bashing and plinking

.30-’06 Bolt Action for deer / Boar / Plains game / Foxes

4th Gun – Tough choice, .22 air rifle for plinking? .22 CF for foxing, cheaper CF target shooting? Something starting with a .4 for Dangerous game…?

On 18/11/2017 at 19:49, 243deer said:

(My Mrs reads this forum on occasion) I cannot think of a dafter question, it is impossible not to need at least 8 guns for the different tasks that need to be performed around the farm, I am sure everyone will agree.:whistling:

I like 10, The 8 that you need and two backup in case of mechanical breakdown.;)