Recommendations for a new 17HMR

Marccus

I use the browning t bolt sporter. A better, quicker layout than the cz, no mag sticking out the bottom to get caught on anything.

they are light and small in the stock so maybe go for the varmint if you need a bit more bulk. The trigger also needs sorting but then again so does the cz but the t bolt is an easy/ free mod.

i've used the cz and it's great but the t bolt is far less clumbsey and an out and out hunter.

Edited by Whitester

22 hours ago, racing snake said:

I use an Anschutz 1517 (thumb hole). Lovely gun to use, ergonomically it fits like a glove and shoots very well. Only niggle is the safety catch could be better, but apart from that - no complaints.

Awesome rifle.... Love mine wouldn't change it for any other hmr 

I have the 455 varmint t/hole very accurate went to our local 100m range just once when it was new to try it, another guy had the 452 ,he commented how accurate it was, my shooting mate has  a  weihrauch nice gun but no more accurate than mine but got a longer barrel, wont be getting rid of mine works well for me.

9 minutes ago, psycho said:

Annie here superb rifle good trigger..much better than a cz...however also alot more expensive ....

Could l ask how much better you find the Annie, as my friend who has one states that the CZ bolt action is far superior.

Not knocking anyone/thing just interested in another opinion.

The annie bolt is very good once you have put 500 rounds through it..prior to that its very tight..its also easy for it to be knocked up in the field .in the up position the gun wont fire...the safety catch is well noisy ..so you have to push it forward slowly and under control as to not spook the quarry ..the trigger on the .17hmr is single stage rather than 2 stage on the .22lr but very predictable and superb like breaking glass..the barral is a match barral and very accurate. It is a heavy barral which maintains accuracy even when hot....the flush magazine which holds 4 rounds is superb in the way its held in..possitive spring pressure so cant fall out in the field...i have a 16 inch barrel fitted with an lei moderator which blends in cosmetically and you will always get a crack due to speed..the annie has a number of diffrant stocks from normal to thumbhole to delux...not to heavy  for all day carry and spares are freely available...its a great .17hmr rifle..the chamber is superb as it the mechanics..i have never had a misfire or a split round and i think its due to the tolerances being so good...would i buyanother in .17hmr..yes straight away ..without hesitation.would i buy one in .22lr..no ..i prefere my hw66 in that calibre

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Could l ask how much better you find the Annie, as my friend who has one states that the CZ bolt action is far superior.

Not knocking anyone/thing just interested in another opinion.

The CZ is just as accurate, just as reliable and just as repeatable as an Anschutz for field work.    The trigger isn't quite as good but around £12 worth of trigger kit more than addresses that.  So in all the practical areas there isn't any difference.

The Anschutz has a great reputation, is well built and some may say it is more aesthetically pleasing, if you feel inclined to pay the extra that costs feel free, but it isn't better in any real world meaningful way in the field!

I love Anschutz and I have a lot of experience with them from the early 1970's right up to date, but I have no need for one in the field!  My CZ's do everything I could ask for!

ATB!  :good:

12 hours ago, psycho said:

The annie bolt is very good once you have put 500 rounds through it..prior to that its very tight..its also easy for it to be knocked up in the field .in the up position the gun wont fire...the safety catch is well noisy ..so you have to push it forward slowly and under control as to not spook the quarry ..the trigger on the .17hmr is single stage rather than 2 stage on the .22lr but very predictable and superb like breaking glass..the barral is a match barral and very accurate. It is a heavy barral which maintains accuracy even when hot....the flush magazine which holds 4 rounds is superb in the way its held in..possitive spring pressure so cant fall out in the field...i have a 16 inch barrel fitted with an lei moderator which blends in cosmetically and you will always get a crack due to speed..the annie has a number of diffrant stocks from normal to thumbhole to delux...not to heavy  for all day carry and spares are freely available...its a great .17hmr rifle..the chamber is superb as it the mechanics..i have never had a misfire or a split round and i think its due to the tolerances being so good...would i buyanother in .17hmr..yes straight away ..without hesitation.would i buy one in .22lr..no ..i prefere my hw66 in that calibre

+1

Except that whereas the HW is also a very nice rifle, I do prefer the Anschutz in 22LR. This might just be because the HMR is fitted with the same trigger unit as the LR and it's very easy to match the trigger pulls.