Night vision

The Heron

20 hours ago, racing snake said:

Drone pro.

The end.

pretty much as the man above said. although after having wasted a year with photon carp. me and a mate are now using ward d vision add on units with great success. still very tempted at a drone but the this unit is brilliant. swaps between all the rifles easily. compact light  and picture is fantastic

all depends on what you want to spend.some good add ons out there good prices if you want to swp rifles.if you wat to go dedicated and don't want to spend a lot the photon will get you out there to do the job,used one for years and they do the job.now using the pulsar lrf 870 which is better and the the laser rangefinder is a big help when you want to push the distance a bit..drone pro..archer...longbow..all depends how much you want to spend.

4 hours ago, Whitester said:

I was thinking of putting my photon on a 223. It will easily stretch to 200 yards with the right illumination and they are only £400.

At x6.5 a fox is pretty small at 200 yards. I've got a Photon on my air rifle and that's about the limit of what I'll use it on. Compared to the drone the picture is significantly degraded, to the point where it's hard on the eyes. The exposure rate is lethargic, and the contrast binary and harsh. If you're trying to pick something out with a Photon on a busy background it's extremely difficult at times. I use mine for ratting, but to give you an example, I've spotted rats with the thermal and not been able to find them (very quickly) in the scope because of the contrast problems on a busy background. By comparison, the AMOLED display on the Drone is silky smooth with a much higher tonal range. OK for ratting on an air rifle, if you're contemplating putting one on a centre fire you're limiting yourself. The newer Photon RT might give you a bit more magnification (digital, not optical, so it will pixalate as you 'zoom') but from what I've seen it's similarly harsh as the XT. It's also £600.  I accept that there's a considerable price difference between a Drone and a Photon, but there's a similar performance difference also.

33609310616_1570aa484c_z.jpg

Edited by racing snake

I was out on Friday night with the photon on the hmr and was knocking rabbits over at 80 yards no problem. I was also looking at roe from about 200 yards away and don't think I'd have a problem shooting something that size at 200 yards.

you really need extra illumination to stretch the photon out and there's also an option of the doubler to increase the magnification .

i haven't used the drone pro so can't comment on the performance difference but for a 1/4 of the price I'd rather put a new gun in the cabinet and a photon on top but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2017 at 08:04, reddog said:

Has anyone used the new pulsar n355?

Looks promising -- lightweight, compact, picture in picture, good (smooth) magnification range, 940 n.m I.r --  but I've not seen any reviews yet.

Has anybody tried one?

My mate has one. I will say that the footage shown on the video is nothing like it is when looking through the viewfinder.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

My mate has one. I will say that the footage shown on the video is nothing like it is when looking through the viewfinder.

Thanks for that, I appreciate your reply.

Looks good to me, clear vision and the ability to positively id the foxes seems more appealing than shooting at a white (thermal) blob.

I'm just a bit wary of a fox being aware of the ir, but in both these cases that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Did he use the ir supplied with the scope or was it a different torch?

9 minutes ago, reddog said:

Thanks for that, I appreciate your reply.

Looks good to me, clear vision and the ability to positively id the foxes seems more appealing than shooting at a white (thermal) blob.

I'm just a bit wary of a fox being aware of the ir, but in both these cases that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Did he use the ir supplied with the scope or was it a different torch?

He used a XSearcher IR torch I believe. Pulsar are working on an upload to improve the quality of the video footage. I'm impressed with the scope, and if I didn't already have a NV one, would be buying it.