Pigeons on maize

mrpip

Been out with the combine for the last 3 weeks stood at the end of the rows for the rabbits, not been a very good year for them with the fields that usually produce decent numbers only holding a few, long days. Half this field was cut Saturday and there were a good number of pigeon in the area, I went for a look last Sunday and decided to set up ended up with 32 picked. Field finished mid week and a flock of at least 2000 moved into the roost across the road. Got there yesterday for first light set up with whirly and 6 breasted pigeon on a hedgerow next to the corner of the wood, the field behind that was maize last year is in with carrots and they machines were covering them with straw for the winter. Loads of pigeon coming to the wood to high to shoot. In the first hour I had only managed 7 birds and then it went dead. By 12 o'clock had 25 out as decoys, birds still not committng so set another whirly up level with the first 20 yds apart. This is the first time I have done this, read plenty on here about it, but I only added another one to my kit this year. About 1 ish started getting birds coming in suicidal had loads of doubles and more shot the first and missed the second, it finished at half past 2,  watched flock after flock from 100 to 300 strong heading back to the roost sky high, don' know we'e they had been feeding all day but you would have needed an anti aircraft gun. Walked the wood out and picked up 90 on the day all woodies. Shot with steel for the hawk man. This is the same field I shot a good number on last year. Counted empties when I got home 141.

WP_20171118_15_38_24_Pro_opt.jpg