Is vaping bad for you

mattyg1086

1 hour ago, JimLondon said:

As an ex smoker and now vapist I can only comment on my experience,and that is once I stopped the fags within 2 weeks I felt a whole lot better, no breathlessness no coughing and no wheezing at night.

i still vape and if it is bad for you I certainly have had no side effects. As has been posted it’s got to be better than smoking fags.

Me as well  30 a day £ 70 a week, i tried all the usual methods to stop vaping is the only thing worked. 6 months with no cigarettes and no desire for one. 

15 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Me as well  30 a day £ 70 a week, i tried all the usual methods to stop vaping is the only thing worked. 6 months with no cigarettes and no desire for one. 

When I look back at my smoking days (wife smoked as well) I was a firefighter with a second job. If I’m honest and I’m ashamed to say i had to have a second job to provide for my family because our smoking habit was costing us £500 a month. 

Just started vaping 3 weeks ago after a heart attack, 50 GV  roll up fags a day ,been smoking it for 54 years  and don't even want to tot up what i have spent on them,every photo in my album i have a fag in my mouth and thats what i miss, a  fag in my mouth lit or not even tried to take a draw on a pencil i had in my hand today,sad old bass,,,,,,

edit to add they are **** at keeping the  midgies at bay unlike golden virginia they never came near me .

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN
add on info

Speaking to a lead consultant in thoracic (chest/lung) medicine last week. If you stop smoking for 12 months your cardiac risk is decreased by a whopping 100%, in health that is quite a astonishing percentage that is rarely found when abating other risk factors. This very subject came up and a colleague asked what if you swapped from smoking to e cigs and his answer was that the cardiac risks still decrease by 100%. Even though there is limited historical evidence on e cigs in relation to the use, he said the emerging evidence does suggest that they are healthier than fags. The the long term risks are yet to be established and only time will tell. The nhs would not be peddling them if they had the same level of associated health risks at the point of what they know up til today. Still not available on prescription yet.

atb

7diaw

4 minutes ago, AULD YIN said:

Just started vaping 3 weeks ago after a heart attack, 50 GV  roll up fags a day ,been smoking it for 54 years  and don't even want to tot up what i have spent on them,every photo in my album i have a fag in my mouth and thats what i miss, a  fag in my mouth lit or not even tried to take a draw on a pencil i had in my hand today,sad old bass,,,,,,

johnnie

Hi Jonnie just seen you message as i was posting, i hope you on the mend, stick with it and wish you all the best.

7diaw

9 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Speaking to a lead consultant in thoracic (chest/lung) medicine last week. If you stop smoking for 12 months your cardiac risk is decreased by a whopping 100%, in health that is quite a astonishing percentage that is rarely found when abating other risk factors. This very subject came up and a colleague asked what if you swapped from smoking to e cigs and his answer was that the cardiac risks still decrease by 100%. Even though there is limited historical evidence on e cigs in relation to the use, he said the emerging evidence does suggest that they are healthier than fags. The the long term risks are yet to be established and only time will tell. The nhs would not be peddling them if they had the same level of associated health risks at the point of what they know up til today. Still not available on prescription yet.

atb

7diaw

Hi Jonnie just seen you message as i was posting, i hope you on the mend, stick with it and wish you all the best.

7diaw

I believe that your organs heart,lung etc of a smoker repair themselves after around 6 weeks of quitting. Apparently your lungs have little filter hairs that smoking makes fold down and not smoking let's them stand up and do their job.

39 minutes ago, JimLondon said:

I believe that your organs heart,lung etc of a smoker repair themselves after around 6 weeks of quitting. Apparently your lungs have little filter hairs that smoking makes fold down and not smoking let's them stand up and do their job.

Yes Jim

in relation to the organs the strain they are put under by smoking  starts to decrease almost immediately. Regarding your heart, your lungs are that efficient at gas exchange that co2 levels are hugely reduced within hours and the buffers in your blood return ph levels to as near normal values taking into account irreversible damage. The hair like structures you refer to are bronchial cilia and you are correct, these waft mucus which contains among other things dead cells for us to get rid of.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

I gave up smoking about 5 years ago, just through will power. If these vapes help people give up smoking,  then that's a good thing, as long as people don't exchange one habit for another. What helped me was carrying a pack of fags with me, when I got a craving there wasn't a panic of I need to find a fag, and the cravings only last a few seconds. I carried them for around 6 months, best thing I ever did was quit, but I'm glad I did it before vaping or I'd probably still be doing that instead.

Good luck anybody trying to give up, trust me it's worth it!

Vaping was the only way that helped me stop smoking after 50 years. I started with a fairly strong nicotine content and gradually over 2 years managed to stop using it all together. Stopped vaping 2 years ago and have not had a cigarette for 4 years. If it was not for vaping i truly believe that i would still be smoking cigarettes. 

You dont need these fancy vaping machines costing ££ and looking like Star Trek communicators, these are just sold and made to look  "cool " , a bog standard one costing 20 quid qidd will do the job just as good. 

If you start vaping you should look on it as a way to quit smoking and not use it as a long term substitute for fags,  

15 minutes ago, peck said:

Vaping was the only way that helped me stop smoking after 50 years. I started with a fairly strong nicotine content and gradually over 2 years managed to stop using it all together. Stopped vaping 2 years ago and have not had a cigarette for 4 years. If it was not for vaping i truly believe that i would still be smoking cigarettes. 

You dont need these fancy vaping machines costing ££ and looking like Star Trek communicators, these are just sold and made to look  "cool " , a bog standard one costing 20 quid qidd will do the job just as good. 

If you start vaping you should look on it as a way to quit smoking and not use it as a long term substitute for fags,  

And this is exactly how vaping should be used. Well done.

of course vaping is not  good for you all the medical data agree vaping is better for you than fags /pipe etc but vaping has only been around for a few years give it another ten to do research on then the full facts will be available and I think the result will be to give out health warnings that it will kill you  if you smoke at the moment give up and cut out vaping as an easy way out if you want to stop you will if you are under the impression that you cant don't even bother because you will fail 

I now vape and like others have said I'm enjoying the health and financial benefits. There seem to be a few nay sayers on this thread saying it may be bad for you. Perhaps it is technically, but if it gets you off the far more harmful poisons that are in tobacco then it's a win.

To those throwing the rocks of negativety I hope you are following all the  NHS Health Guidelines to the letter in terms of food, exercise and alcohol consumption? That you are maintaining a healthy body weight? If so, fire away at vaping.:lol:

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Why?

Why not as an alternative nicotine delivery source?

It is fine as an alternative nicotine source, as is gum, patches etc., but nicotine itself is something most medics would advise to give up because it is bad (though much less so than smoking) for blood pressure, heart, arteries and blood circulatory functions.  There are also questions over the long term effects on the lungs and respiratory system.

NHS advice is that vaping can be a helpful way to wean smokers off both smoking and longer term nicotine.  Using vaping to give up smoking is a very sensible thing.

9 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Just don't do it?

I'm not being facetious, but really - just play it safe and don't go near them? 

Is that advice for smokers or non smokers. ? Vaping as a way to stop smoking is a no brainer. 

10 Deadly Diseases Caused By Smoking

1.  COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  2. Cardiovascular (heart) disease
  3. Cancer (lung cancer, esophagus cancer, larynx cancer, mouth cancer, throat cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, pancreas cancer, stomach cancer, Cancer of the pancreas, Liver cancer, Cancer of the penis and cervix cancer)
  4. Emphysema
  5. Chronic Bronchitis
  6. Asthma
  7. Stroke
  8. Hypertension
  9. Atherosclerosis (buildup of fatty substances in the arteries)
  10. Impotence
Edited by ordnance

On 11/19/2017 at 11:50, mattyg1086 said:

I'm not looking to take it up I'm just curious as I see this so often it must be more popular than actual smoking and I'm sure some people have just started vaping because they think it's cool

Sorry to say this but I think anyone who thinks vaping looks cool must be wired up wrong. Smoking used to look cool but vaping never will.

Most of us baby boomers didn't have much in the way of what we thought was looking cool in our teens, many joined the forces where it was cool and most of our parents smoked. Teens were almost bound to smoke - many before it was legal. I started with tax exempt RN blue liners.

I stopped about about 15 years ago. None of my kids or grandkids smoke, several of them have told me they have seen what it did to me and want none of it. In a silly sort of way I don't regret causing the self inflicted damage quite so much for that reason. They have so much other stuff to look cool with these days.

I actually work in a cardiothoracic centre and it takes at least a year for your body to expel all the toxins and the cilia to grow back and function, you will most likely catch all sorts of colds and flues etc you will cough up all sorts of nastys but its much better than  the alternatives mentioned above.

There is documented medical evidence of longer term vapers forming small Bulla (air pockets) similar to the ones that cause spontaneous Pneumothorax (collapsed lungs), however  it is such a new phenomenon that it isn't clear what effect they will have.

What I cant get my head around is the 2 million....YES 2 million Co cks that vape and have never smoked!!!! (govt statistic)

6 hours ago, A-Series said:

Im sure it is much better than smoking, but as these contain glycerin and propylene glycol, if they get hot enough you could end up forming formaldehydes and acetaldehydes, which are carcinogenic, but there really isn’t much proper solid peer reviewed research yet. 

You may find this interesting.